Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2015, 08:34 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,831,521 times

Advertisements

Well, Penny is still making excuses. Dr. N. is on to her because he's treated too many patients who want to get better and who actually follow his advice.

Who pays for these procedures, anyway? Unless they're working from home, they're not employable--though Penny said tonight that she contributes more to the finances... The operation, extended hospital stays, and followups must cost a pretty penny.

Tara, BTW, is continuing to progress. It was nice seeing her out on a date.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2015, 08:44 AM

3,339 posts, read 5,990,972 times
Yeah, Penny has issues. She is in extreme denial and her husband is a total enabler. I don't really understand what he gets out of their relationship. He does everything for her and she really isn't even nice to him from what I could see. He must have some serious self esteem issues. It's sad that neither of them want a better life for their son.

I mean, if Penny's husband wanted to put her on a healthy diet there is really nothing she could do about it unless she was willing to get out of bed. What could she do? Yell? He could take their son and leave the house.

Penny's story really makes me sad. I've been depressed and somewhat understand her excuse making mindset, but she has taken it to the extreme. Very sad.

I was happy to see Tara is doing well though. She seemed genuinely happy, which is great.

Old 01-22-2015, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikitakolata View Post
Yeah, Penny has issues. She is in extreme denial and her husband is a total enabler. I don't really understand what he gets out of their relationship. He does everything for her and she really isn't even nice to him from what I could see. He must have some serious self esteem issues. It's sad that neither of them want a better life for their son.

I mean, if Penny's husband wanted to put her on a healthy diet there is really nothing she could do about it unless she was willing to get out of bed. What could she do? Yell? He could take their son and leave the house.

Penny's story really makes me sad. I've been depressed and somewhat understand her excuse making mindset, but she has taken it to the extreme. Very sad.

I was happy to see Tara is doing well though. She seemed genuinely happy, which is great.

True about Penny's husband. There's that symbiotic relationship and family dynamic again. But she is nasty to him and he does all of the things she can't do.

That's why I was so impressed with how Tara was considerate of her mom when she decided to move out of her home and find a place of her own. She didn't just "shed" her like many do--she told her mom that now she'd be able to help her.

Old 01-22-2015, 09:36 AM

3,339 posts, read 5,990,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
True about Penny's husband. There's that symbiotic relationship and family dynamic again. But she is nasty to him and he does all of the things she can't do.

That's why I was so impressed with how Tara was considerate of her mom when she decided to move out of her home and find a place of her own. She didn't just "shed" her like many do--she told her mom that now she'd be able to help her.
I loved that conversation between Tara and her mom. They were both so sweet to one another. They seem to have a great relationship, if you ask me.

Old 01-22-2015, 07:47 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,510,727 times
Penny's husband is just so sad. It's a shame to see a grown man living under the thumb of such a pathological woman.

Old 02-18-2015, 10:13 PM

"Pauline" was the worst yet. I could not believe how she was arguing with Dr. N. It's the same old thing: she refused to follow meal plans, wouldn't walk or exercise, and claimed she could lose weight on her own and at her own pace. Then she had the nerve to flat- out lie to him, saying that the physical therapist he'd arranged never called her. In fact, they called three times, and each time she said she didn't need PT, that she could exercise on her own. Yeesh.

Not surprisingly, the episode ended with her carping that Dr. N. was "not being fair," her saying that she's done well, and her at a bingo hall eating sandwiches and tacos.

Old 02-18-2015, 10:40 PM

1,040 posts, read 1,078,124 times
It really was irritating to watch wasn't it? These people are given a great opportunity to save their lives.
I'm pretty sure they are not only getting it for free but they are probably being paid personally to let them film. All this paid for by TLC.

She had a hospital stay before the surgery, the surgery, more hospital time, additional surgery to prevent blood clots, was offered physical therapy and I think they most likely paid for the apartment in Houston. All that adds up to a lot of money which in the end was probably all wasted.

I do think she will gain it all back and if her son doesn't start taking care of himself now he looks like he will end up in the same situation.

I wonder what would have happened if her son had stood up for himself and told her if she didn't start following the doctors orders that he would leave her. Would that have been something that would finally scare her into doing the right thing?

Old 02-18-2015, 11:10 PM

7,006 posts, read 6,995,315 times
With the exception of the first (pretty) one, the last two fatties have been very unlikeable. Whiners, complainers, endless excuse makers, and one of them had the nerve to demand of a fast food worker what took so long to get her food. pshaw!

Old 02-18-2015, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj10 View Post
It really was irritating to watch wasn't it? These people are given a great opportunity to save their lives.
I'm pretty sure they are not only getting it for free but they are probably being paid personally to let them film. All this paid for by TLC.

She had a hospital stay before the surgery, the surgery, more hospital time, additional surgery to prevent blood clots, was offered physical therapy and I think they most likely paid for the apartment in Houston. All that adds up to a lot of money which in the end was probably all wasted.

I do think she will gain it all back and if her son doesn't start taking care of himself now he looks like he will end up in the same situation.

I wonder what would have happened if her son had stood up for himself and told her if she didn't start following the doctors orders that he would leave her. Would that have been something that would finally scare her into doing the right thing?

I wondered the same thing about her son. He's what most would call an enabler but I felt sorry for him. There's more than an eating disorder in that family.

And Dr. N. performs all of those surgeries himself: the bypass, skin removal and, in Pauline's case, inserting that clot filter in her leg--needed because she refused to exercise.

These case studies are very interesting. But it's also frustrating to see people throw away what might be their last opportunity to live a normal life.

Old 02-19-2015, 06:25 AM

3,829 posts, read 6,733,589 times
Pauline drove me crazy, too. The excuses and lies!! I hope we get to see her in another year. I'm sure she'll be like the one lady they caught up with this year (can't remember her name- the one that moved back home [Maryland?] with her husband and young son).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV