Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2014, 01:05 PM

13,887 posts, read 13,678,384 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
Wow. Another whine-fest in the TV section. What a shocker.

I don't go out of my way to watch Ellen, but I think she's witty, courageous and gifted. From what I've seen so far, I think she's doing great. She has her own show. She must be doing something right. She's pretty corny most of the time. She is by nature humble, self-deprecating, unprejudiced imo, and quick. If that's not your style, fine. I don't personally give a bleep, but that's fine.

I don't think it's a stretch to say this last seasons selection of movies are nothing to get excited about, the show must go on.

Now about Sally Fields, I thought she looked great. Maybe plastic surg goes ok sometimes. I'm a huge opponent to elective surgery, but I understand the dream to hold on to youth, albeit for vanity's sake. I assume plastic surgery with her because I don't understand how makeup alone can make her almost look like she did 30-some years ago.

Kate Hudson looked nice. Watching the Oscars this morning enables me to become aware of productions I've never heard of, like the short films, etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
I thought the pizza skit was clever. Asking for someone to pony up the dough was brilliant.

What else did folks here p&m about? Oh yeah, the most weather-beaten cliche of the night. What are these fine folks supposed to do up there BUT pat each other on the backs? There's quite enough of that going on as it is. This is a party. How about let em have their fun?
I'm pretty sure I know who's whining, and it's not us. But I'm happy you care enough about us to whine about us.

Carry on.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2014, 01:39 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,537,449 times
Wow, I think Ellen humor is over yall head. The joke was not attempt to smear Liza nor did she say anything about crossdressers or transgenders.
It was to poke fun about 1 in 10 drag queens has done a Liza impersonation. She is an icon in drag world next to Cher and Madonna.

It a compliment and not an insult for a drag queen to pay ode to one of the most iconic divas who is the daughter of the other gay iconic diva Judy Garland.

This thread is weird because on radio, television and web nothing but rave reviews about Ellen performance .

Here is Liza from last night. https://scontent-b-iad.xx.fbcdn.net/...48132038_n.jpg

Here is her trying to get in that infamous selfie, bless her heart.
http://i.perezhilton.com/wp-content/...scars__oPt.jpg

Here is countless of drag queens performing their favorite icon over the decades and Liza knows her and Judy are top queens that ever existed and respected in LGBT world.
https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...g%20queen&sm=3

Old 03-03-2014, 01:44 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,537,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotogGal View Post
I actually enjoyed the Oscar show last night. Ellen's opening was not at all what I anticipated from her, but she got better as the show went on (I thought). I thought the pizza delivery and the selfie with all the celebss were priceless.

Aside from Ellen, I found this to be one of the most enjoyable Oscar shows I have ever watched, and I've been watching a long time.
I loved it all, ESPECIALLY Ellen, and I'm not particularly a fan girl. I monitored twitter throughout and Ellen rec'd universal raves, even after she broke it.

(and so far I haven't been able to find Degerate in any online dictionary)

Old 03-03-2014, 06:07 PM

10,034 posts, read 9,512,383 times
Never heard of him before (yah I'm old) but, Pharell Williams was enjoyable. Bette Midler was great and Sidney Poitier was so classy as usual. To me seeing Brad Pitt handing out paper plates was damn funny. Also enjoyed seeing a newbie win, it's always refreshing seeing real reactions, specifically the young actress from Kenya. she was adorable.

Old 03-03-2014, 07:59 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,108,088 times
did anybody see Liza be the first one to jump up and hug Lupita last night after she won Best Actress? What connection on earth could those two possibly have? i think Liza lacks impulse control.

Also I don't think Sally Field has had plastic surgery. I recently watched Brothers and Sisters on Netflix and she looked age appropriate in the face. Somehow I feel she is not the type to have PS and I think I have seen either in print or on TV her say she isn't going to do it.

Stroke or not Kim Novak seemed like she did have PS. Nobody's face can look like that at age 81.

Old 03-03-2014, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
Also I don't think Sally Field has had plastic surgery. I recently watched Brothers and Sisters on Netflix and she looked age appropriate in the face. Somehow I feel she is not the type to have PS and I think I have seen either in print or on TV her say she isn't going to do it.
She has, and is one of the few to admit it, although without saying specifically what work she's had done.
No 67-year-old woman looks like that without going under the knife.

Old 03-03-2014, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
Wow, I think Ellen humor is over yall head. The joke was not attempt to smear Liza nor did she say anything about crossdressers or transgenders.
In a post-show interview Liza gushed (her default communication mode) about how much she loved the joke, and Ellen. All night long, Liza looked to me like she was having a blast!

Old 03-04-2014, 01:09 AM

19,222 posts, read 16,710,036 times
The show wasn't all that boring. I couldn't decide which was funnier; Jennifer Lawrence's near pratfall on the red carpet or John Travolta totally messing up Idina Menzel's name. Who the heck is Adele Dazeem, anyway? It's always fun to see celebrities acting human.

Old 03-04-2014, 05:42 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,108,088 times
I knew this would happen

John Travolta: Oscars Adele Dazeem name gaffe sparks these hilarious twitter reactions, GIFs and virals - Mirror Online

Old 03-04-2014, 06:01 AM

1,765 posts, read 4,350,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
The show wasn't all that boring. I couldn't decide which was funnier; Jennifer Lawrence's near pratfall on the red carpet or John Travolta totally messing up Idina Menzel's name. Who the heck is Adele Dazeem, anyway? It's always fun to see celebrities acting human.

Or acting stupid and careless.... how much trouble would it have been for him to learn how to pronounce her name?? And I'm guessing everything is on a teleprompter or cue card or something! I wouldn't buy
that he was "nervous" or any thing like that. Geez. People got the African names right of the 12 Years a Slave folks...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV