Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-15-2015, 09:04 AM

2,322 posts, read 923,484 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewJeffCT View Post
While I agree that it was a crappy stunt to pull on long time fans, the ratings went up the second half of the the fall season, and some critics dubbed Glenn's death/not death one of the big TV moments of 2015. It was also a big topic online in various forums. So, I doubt the showrunners see it as anything but a positive.
This brings to mind a saying that IIRC is attributed to Oscar Wilde:
Quote:
The only thing worse than being talked about is not being talked about.

You are probably right with the showrunners' assessment. I wonder if there is any concern to the bad taste that the crappy stunt left in the mouths of loyal viewers. Immediately after the episode aired I remember reading online, "Oh no. Not Glenn" "Say it ain't so" "He was our morale compass". After 2 weeks, that turned into, "Just freaking tell us already" "If he's dead, fine - just tell us and move on" Maybe this isn't connected, but I've read that people have turned on Maggie and they hope she dies soon

After watching the mid season finale and being underwhelmed, I believe that the wall coming down and Glenn screaming on the ground by the dumpster may have been a better ending. That would have been a cliffhanger There's only so much we can say about, "Mom...mom...mom"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2015, 11:33 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,560,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winrunner View Post

You are probably right with the showrunners' assessment. I wonder if there is any concern to the bad taste that the crappy stunt left in the mouths of loyal viewers. Immediately after the episode aired I remember reading online, "Oh no. Not Glenn" "Say it ain't so" "He was our morale compass". After 2 weeks, that turned into, "Just freaking tell us already" "If he's dead, fine - just tell us and move on" Maybe this isn't connected, but I've read that people have turned on Maggie and they hope she dies soon

After watching the mid season finale and being underwhelmed, I believe that the wall coming down and Glenn screaming on the ground by the dumpster may have been a better ending. That would have been a cliffhanger There's only so much we can say about, "Mom...mom...mom"
It didn't leave a bad taste in my mouth. I was happy he was still alive & in the meantime saw an excellent episode centered on Morgan.

As for the mid season finale of mom, mom, mom....I agree about that. However, we don't know what's going to happen, do we? So, it's still a cliffhanger.

Old 12-15-2015, 01:33 PM

8,757 posts, read 9,464,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
Well it got people talking about the show so obviously, it was a positive outcome.
It did indeed.

Old 12-15-2015, 04:24 PM

2,029 posts, read 4,038,455 times
Sunday nights just aren't the same. I miss the show already so I'm watching it again. I wanted to watch FTWD again too but they took it off on demand.

Old 12-15-2015, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
It didn't leave a bad taste in my mouth. I was happy he was still alive & in the meantime saw an excellent episode centered on Morgan.
I guess I should have been more specific and said "the bad taste that the crappy stunt left in the mouths of some loyal viewers".

Quote:
As for the mid season finale of mom, mom, mom....I agree about that. However, we don't know what's going to happen, do we? So, it's still a cliffhanger.
I can't speak for you, but I'm sure I don't know what's going to happen. Then again, I don't know what's going to happen after a commercial break and I wouldn't call those cliffhangers. I need more than not knowing what's going to happen, I need a strong element of suspense (yea, I looked it up. Don't judge)

Old 12-15-2015, 07:17 PM

8,757 posts, read 9,464,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winrunner View Post
I guess I should have been more specific and said "the bad taste that the crappy stunt left in the mouths of some loyal viewers".

I can't speak for you, but I'm sure I don't know what's going to happen. Then again, I don't know what's going to happen after a commercial break and I wouldn't call those cliffhangers. I need more than not knowing what's going to happen, I need a strong element of suspense (yea, I looked it up. Don't judge)

Then you know your words apply as there was a degree of just that, element of suspense and not just plain wondering if say they'll be walking single file and someone will die, but, who will fall victim and other pending outcomes some of us our anxious to know. Especially since the writers don't follow the comics some folks seem to know about and think certain things may pan out one way or another, but, often don't at least not for any particular person in any given order. Who in that line will be walker chow for sure, the way the line formation was, it can any of a few different ways at this point given it wasn't just Jesse family at the end of that line.

I for one want to know just when Sam will be silenced and how, at what moment. I even hope Sam survives no matter how unlikely that might prove to be. The poor kid, just shut him up. And will Judith start making a racket and so on. I want to know, I must know the answers to these and other pertinent questions. OOOOOOOOOOh The suspense is killing me. Ok, so it's just me.

Old 12-15-2015, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRosa View Post
I for one want to know just when Sam will be silenced and how, at what moment. I even hope Sam survives no matter how unlikely that might prove to be. The poor kid, just shut him up. And will Judith start making a racket and so on. I want to know, I must know the answers to these and other pertinent questions. OOOOOOOOOOh The suspense is killing me. Ok, so it's just me.
There there TRosa, don't cry. It isn't just you. There are plenty of people that feel the same way you do. I just don't count myself among them, that's all. Now, let me see that smiiiiiiiile

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRosa View Post
Then you know your words apply as there was a degree of just that, element of suspense and not just plain wondering if say they'll be walking single file and someone will die, but, who will fall victim and other pending outcomes some of us our anxious to know. Especially since the writers don't follow the comics some folks seem to know about and think certain things may pan out one way or another, but, often don't at least not for any particular person in any given order. Who in that line will be walker chow for sure, the way the line formation was, it can any of a few different ways at this point given it wasn't just Jesse family at the end of that line.
Au contraire mon ami, my words don't apply. I was looking for a strong element of suspense for a finale, not just a degree of suspense. Anyway, it is what it is, or better said, it was what it was. Would've could've should've doesn't matter, because in the end what NewJeffCT so eloquently stated about Glenn's fall:
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewJeffCT View Post
While I agree that it was a crappy stunt to pull on long time fans, the ratings went up the second half of the the fall season, and some critics dubbed Glenn's death/not death one of the big TV moments of 2015. It was also a big topic online in various forums. So, I doubt the showrunners see it as anything but a positive.
...rings true about the finale. We're still talking.

Old 12-16-2015, 12:26 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,771,707 times
That was just the winter finale. Not season finale. So it didnt need to be a giant suspenseful cliffhanger. We'll get that later on.

Old 12-16-2015, 01:57 PM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,295,927 times
Hopefully the cliffhanger will be resolved by hanging 3/4 of the cast members from a cliff.

Old 12-17-2015, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
Hopefully the cliffhanger will be resolved by hanging 3/4 of the cast members from a cliff.
Excellent season-ender. Allow me to be so bold and make some suggestions.

Safe
Rick - the head of the snake, so he'll probably not go yet.

On the Block
Abraham - I wouldn't get rid of him since physically he's a threat to Rick and we need that, but I can't put him down as safe because he's less of a sure thing than Rick.

Carol
Darryl & Michonne - If you get rid of Darryl, you're getting rid of a signature weapon. Same with Michonne. They're both identified by their respective weapons. Michonne has faded into the background so I don't know how sad her death would be(just my opinion don't go getting your knickers in a bunch).

Maggie & Glenn - Recently I've heard some noise calling for Maggie to die, so that won't come as much of a shock. Now Glenn dying would be something. We had our hearts ripped out and put back into place when we thought he ate it, so maybe we've been lulled into a false sense of security.

Carl & Judith - Yes, I've been trying to get rid of Carl for a while now, but nobody's biting. Hell, I would get rid of him and Judith(not pulling her weight. Although she does manage to stay quiet when necessary) but I know that that would send Rick into the abyss from where he would never return. The group wouldn't be safe Well, they'd be less safe than they are now.

Kill Off
Tara
Sasha
Eugene - The hair's only usefulness is comic relief.
Fr Gabriel
Rosita - If they don't give her more screen time especially walking away in those tight jeans, then yes, off with her head.

Recruit - The only Alexandrians that would survive
Aaron
Heath
Dr. Denise - If she's still alive.

So because Tourian promised a gigantic super duper suspenseful cliffhanger(as opposed to a regular mini-me non-suspenseful cliffhanger) for the season finale, some one HUGE has to go. It has to be gut-wrenching. So to clean house, get rid of everyone on the kill off list, add Judith, Maggie and Glenn in a two-fer(die holding hands) and if you want to get my heart jumping and activate my allergies(I'm not crying, it's hayfever), kill off Carol.

P.S. I honestly don't know what to do with Morgan. It would be nice to see him go west into the sunset and walk the earth like Kwai Chang Caine in Kung Fu (70s TV series).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV