Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What Star Trek Series do you like the best?
Star Trek:TOS 30 26.55%
Star Trek: TNG 46 40.71%
Star Trek: DS9 16 14.16%
Voyager 7 6.19%
Star Trek: Enterprise 14 12.39%
Voters: 113. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2014, 10:02 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,300,551 times

Advertisements

I loved Enterprise the most because it was truly different from the other series, and didn't follow the same formula which is what I loved about it. To watch the prequel and see how everything started with limited technology (relatively speaking) made each episode interesting. It was like watching David vs Goliath. To have limited armaments and go out in the middle of nowhere and kind of figure everything out without a roadmap was very endearing to me. They had no backup, hardly anything and they got by with guts and wits. Loved that! I thought the acting and writing was good. I didn't enjoy it when it first appeared on television because it was so different. But I watched it in bulk after the series ended and I really loved it the most. I think if most people did that, they would feel differently about it.

And I loved it's paramilitary element. It truly felt like a cross between a naval ship and star ship. I liked the minimalist steel (submarine) interior. It was much more believable. I truly felt that it had the best writing of all the series.

Last edited by azriverfan.; 08-27-2014 at 10:16 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2014, 06:41 AM

1,205 posts, read 2,690,297 times
I might give ENT another try since they are all on netflix. Kind of take having every episode of Star Trek ever made on my TV for granted now, would have been a big deal for a lot of people 20 years ago.

Old 08-28-2014, 06:58 AM

28,671 posts, read 18,788,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
I loved Enterprise the most because it was truly different from the other series, and didn't follow the same formula which is what I loved about it. To watch the prequel and see how everything started with limited technology (relatively speaking) made each episode interesting. It was like watching David vs Goliath. To have limited armaments and go out in the middle of nowhere and kind of figure everything out without a roadmap was very endearing to me. They had no backup, hardly anything and they got by with guts and wits. Loved that! I thought the acting and writing was good. I didn't enjoy it when it first appeared on television because it was so different. But I watched it in bulk after the series ended and I really loved it the most. I think if most people did that, they would feel differently about it.

And I loved it's paramilitary element. It truly felt like a cross between a naval ship and star ship. I liked the minimalist steel (submarine) interior. It was much more believable. I truly felt that it had the best writing of all the series.
There was a theme in Enterprise that I don't think I saw so clearly expressed in the other series since TOS: It takes a human to bond disparate cultures. TOS made a point of that, as did Enterprise. The other series, not so much.

Old 08-28-2014, 07:51 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,263,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FriendlyFeller View Post
I might give ENT another try since they are all on netflix. Kind of take having every episode of Star Trek ever made on my TV for granted now, would have been a big deal for a lot of people 20 years ago.
Just skip the final show. Stupid stupid way to end it....

Old 08-28-2014, 08:47 PM

28,671 posts, read 18,788,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
Just skip the final show. Stupid stupid way to end it....

It would have been okay without the frame and if they hadn't killed someone we liked in such a dumb and useless way.

Old 08-29-2014, 02:48 PM

950 posts, read 692,461 times
How ironic that I mentioned the Vulcan Pon Farr episode a few days ago and now to find out that Arlene Martel passed away this month. After all, Ms. Martel acted in the iconic role of the Vulcan, T'Pring in that very episode. Up til the time that Ms. Martel passed away, she continued to be much in demand at Star Trek Conventions. She did many other films too, but we remember her for T'Pring as much as Nimoy for Spock. R.I.P Arlene Martel (1936-2014)

Old 08-30-2014, 07:11 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,558,348 times
I grew up with TOS but I did enjoy TNG, especially after the miserable 1st season.

Old 08-30-2014, 10:01 PM

2,707 posts, read 2,837,936 times
I liked the original, but Enterprise had a bit of a rawness to the episodes, and as someone else pointed out, the crew was learning as they went. The technology was new, and they were learning other worlds protocols, while still maintaining the core of the mission. I also really liked the opening sequence showing the progression up to the starship's conception, and final creation. I also really liked the opening sequence for Voyager, as well.

Also, I send my condolences out for the passing of Ms. Martel.

Old 09-01-2014, 05:13 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,263,135 times
There was supposed to be an 'Oklahoma Purge' this weekend which was suggested on social media, based on the movie of the same name about a night when virtually all crime was allowed for one night. It didn't happen. But they've been talking about how it is based on this movie. I'm still waiting for someone to add that the MOVIE has to be based on the first season I believe episode about the same thing, *called* the Purge.

This social media talk is rather surreal with the way we live in the hard and fast world and the cyberspear now. Who would have thought so back then...

Old 09-01-2014, 08:08 PM

197 posts, read 233,791 times
On one hand, I kind of lean towards TOS because I love Kirk-talk, meaning when Kirk out talks a computer and either makes it crash or blows its self up, however, unfortunately, TOS had limitations on special effects because of the time period that the show was made in. But in saying that, some of the special effects 'cheesiness' can just be a little too much. Such as the episode called "Catspaw" where it turned out that the two antagonists, Sylvia and Korob were actually two helpless aliens that had the power of illusion and which were portrayed by two cheap-looking marionettes(where you could see the strings). Ugh!

However, I'm torn between TNG and DS9 and I really loved the Changelings from DS9(probably my favorite alien race on Star Trek), however, I had to go with TNG because of the classic characters such as Worf, Geordi and Data.

Last edited by Tom Parkerman; 09-01-2014 at 08:20 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV