Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2015, 06:34 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,977,188 times

Advertisements

About Kimberly Nichole, I loved her, and still do. I hope she puts out an album. Her attitude really put me off at first, but after a while, I really began to enjoy her for her raw talent and her qualities as an entertainer. I'm not at all surprised India was eliminated but she and Sawyer are (were?) still my faves. I think it will come down to Joshua and Sawyer ultimately. based on comments I've been reading all over the internet, and I have no idea how representative those are, Sawyer will probably win this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2015, 09:01 AM

1,069 posts, read 1,048,840 times
[quote=Scooby Snacks;39589074]

I hope he doesn't. There are many struggling musicians out there. It's not that Josh isn't good. He is, in his own way. He just isn't versatile at all. I can't imagine anyone paying a lot of money to go see him in concert, like they would the other finalists.

He's the only one I'd pay to see.

Old 05-13-2015, 09:18 AM

37,644 posts, read 46,052,689 times
Yes, Joshua is absolutely one of the best on the show. Some people here clearly don't get the appeal, but my goodness that is true of every artist. I personally cannot STAND Kanye West, the man OR the music, but look at his following. Go figure.

I tend to think Sawyer will win, but who knows? As I said earlier, the country vote could easily take it completely away from e everyone else and hand it (undeservedly IMHO) to Meghan.

All that said, I have to say that I am somewhat disappointed with this season. I've only watched this show for 3 full seasons now, but it seems to me that there is no singer here that is of the same caliber as the 2 past seasons. Josh, from a couple of seasons back, was a clear winner from the start. Every single song he sang, he made his own. You kinda forgot the original version. Matt did the same thing in the next season. He freaking blew me away with some of his songs in fact. Chris, maybe to a lesser degree, did the same thing. As much as I like Joshua and Sawyer, and as good as I think their voices are, neither one shines in their ability to make a song their own. I mean, yeah they have each done that, here and there, but not consistently like the previous seasons' talent.

Last edited by ChessieMom; 05-13-2015 at 09:48 AM..

Old 05-13-2015, 10:05 AM

9,153 posts, read 9,505,077 times
But the ones who "make songs their own" have their detractors too. I've read several times in this thread that this singer or that one ruined a song. I'm the female Blake in that I don't know alot of these songs others think are iconic, so I have the advantage of listening with no expectations of what it should sound like. And I disagreed with every instance when someone else thought the song was ruined. I think sometimes songs are changed too much for some people to be comfortable with it.

And I understand that, I used to be the same way. I used to go to concerts, and when the artist changed anything from the way it was on the album I had, I just hated it. And that was the original artist!

I've changed over the years so that I can adapt and hear beauty for beauty itself, without being hardline about it sounding like I remember it.

Old 05-13-2015, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LillyLillyLilly View Post
But the ones who "make songs their own" have their detractors too.
Of course they do. That was simply my own personal observation about what makes a winner on this show - for ME.

And I really don't care about the song sounding like the original. But it does have to be a treatment that I enjoy just as much, or better. For instance, I love Matt's song "Wasted Love". I bought it. But Sarah did a fantastic job with it...I loved it too. Different, but very very nice!

I think Sarah has so much potential. But her style probably did her in on this show.

Last edited by ChessieMom; 05-13-2015 at 12:25 PM..

Old 05-13-2015, 01:17 PM

8,440 posts, read 13,449,447 times
I took a tip from a blog elsewhere about this season. I've never missed who would progress to a next round from any other season as this one. Absolutely, some have been eliminated with the end of show elimination and "save":that is already done so the west coast isn't voting. It doesn't matter which one wins, none of them are representing the entire U.S. Vote. The winner will reflect votes and iTunes sells.

When each purchase on iTunes counts for 10 votes, 100 people can make a big difference buying the song. That isn't representative of a true vote where each person counts only once.

I see potential for the future, but personally don't see how Sawyer has the best voice and presentation currently. However, I will not be surprised if he wins as he was the top performer in iTunes. Meghan was second and Joshua was third. Isn't that how they were announced last night, as well?

Given who is still left, I prefer either Joshua or Meghan. I guess it depends on whether wants to see a second chance and the risk pay off or if one wants a teen to win. And dollars vote 10X the amount of other votes.

MSR

Old 05-13-2015, 03:03 PM

I really wish they would take iTunes out of it. It just isn't fair that money can play a part in who advances and who doesn't. I watch the show. I see the ads. That's really all that should be required of me to participate.

And don't get me started about Twitterdiculousness.

Last edited by ChessieMom; 05-13-2015 at 04:03 PM..

Old 05-13-2015, 10:13 PM

8,440 posts, read 13,449,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
I really wish they would take iTunes out of it. It just isn't fair that money can play a part in who advances and who doesn't. I watch the show. I see the ads. That's really all that should be required of me to participate.

And don't get me started about Twitterdiculousness.
I wish there was no iTunes as well. In theory, the corporation who will sign the artist could gift iTunes cards to certain consumers through sponsored contests and other. The company that will sign the winner knows what they don't have and need. They could easily throw the entire season by ensuring with the purchased iTunes, the artist with the appropriate age and see will win.

I wish it was based simply on single votes and who the public liked. I'm honest enough to say I've followed one tip someone else gave about three weeks ago. Since then, funny how I could suddenly predict who would be returning 100%. iTunes.

I don't feel the best artists are kept as it seemed they were in the first two seasons.

MSR

Old 05-14-2015, 12:28 AM

14,268 posts, read 18,950,819 times
As I've written on different forums, it all comes down to personal taste. One of my favorite performances on The Voice was (and still is) Michelle's blind audition singing "I kissed a girl." Sarah singing "One of us" gave me goose bumps. I still like watching that video and get choked up when her Dad calls out "Listen to her!" with tears in his eyes. Matthew Schuler was perfect when he sang "Halleleujah." All different, all wonderful performances IMHO.

By the way, I like Joshua a lot, but I've heard many singers who are equal or better singing in small cafes. Sawyer is unique, but I never thought he belonged on a large stage with backup singers and still prefer his quiet, acoustic performances.

My personal opinion about these shows is, when it comes to talent, there is too much of it out there to always find the best of the best in a singing competition where people vote for their favorite and ratings matter.

Old 05-14-2015, 05:51 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,977,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Yes, Joshua is absolutely one of the best on the show. Some people here clearly don't get the appeal, but my goodness that is true of every artist. I personally cannot STAND Kanye West, the man OR the music, but look at his following. Go figure.

I tend to think Sawyer will win, but who knows? As I said earlier, the country vote could easily take it completely away from e everyone else and hand it (undeservedly IMHO) to Meghan.

All that said, I have to say that I am somewhat disappointed with this season. I've only watched this show for 3 full seasons now, but it seems to me that there is no singer here that is of the same caliber as the 2 past seasons. Josh, from a couple of seasons back, was a clear winner from the start. Every single song he sang, he made his own. You kinda forgot the original version. Matt did the same thing in the next season. He freaking blew me away with some of his songs in fact. Chris, maybe to a lesser degree, did the same thing. As much as I like Joshua and Sawyer, and as good as I think their voices are, neither one shines in their ability to make a song their own. I mean, yeah they have each done that, here and there, but not consistently like the previous seasons' talent.
I still think that "making a song your own" thing is overrated, especially since singers who make it big usually have other people write their songs for them. Technical singing ability is very important, IMO. What's the point of singing for other people if you don't sound good doing it? Apparently America doesn't agree with me, because on these vocal talent shows, the singers with the most professional training usually get eliminated, and quickly. Danica from last season was another amazing singer who had had a lot of training. She came in 8th, I believe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV