Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2015, 08:54 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,263,135 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmozer View Post
"To Serve Humans"
You mean 'To Serve Mankind'. At one science fiction convention one of the dealers had a little booklet called that. Yes, it was a cookbook. I was too broke to get it or it would have made a wonderful keeper. Just imagine what someone would say if you said dinner came out the To Serve Mankind cookbook
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2015, 02:00 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
Watching 'To Serve Man' right now bc people keep talking about it.

Old 02-04-2015, 03:54 AM

14,317 posts, read 22,388,935 times
"The Grave"

Old 02-04-2015, 07:28 AM

Location: Lakewood NJ/Murrells Inlet SC/ N. Naples FL/Swainton NJ
4,028 posts, read 6,545,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
You mean 'To Serve Mankind'. At one science fiction convention one of the dealers had a little booklet called that. Yes, it was a cookbook. I was too broke to get it or it would have made a wonderful keeper. Just imagine what someone would say if you said dinner came out the To Serve Mankind cookbook

Thanks for the correction. I probably watched most all of the episodes when they were first aired (showing my age) and that one stuck with me the most. I also really like the one where the guy had the stop watch that stopped time and ended up breaking it while stealing money from a bank. I often fantasized about what I would do with a watch like that.......

Old 02-04-2015, 07:42 AM

5,892 posts, read 6,958,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
Time Enough at Last.
Is this the one where Burgess Meridith worked in the bank? He was the only one left after a nuclear explosion. All he wanted to do was read, then broke his glasses at the end.

The other one with him I liked was where he was deemed obsolete. He was able to choose his method of execution. He locked in the gov't guy, telling him his method of choice was explosion. He let him out at the last minute, but then he (gov't guy) was then deemed obsolete.

Old 02-04-2015, 10:21 AM

15,632 posts, read 24,435,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmozer View Post
...I also really like the one where the guy had the stop watch that stopped time and ended up breaking it while stealing money from a bank. I often fantasized about what I would do with a watch like that.......

That episode was "A Kind of a Stopwatch" and was one of my favorites too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by don6170 View Post
Is this the one where Burgess Meridith worked in the bank? He was the only one left after a nuclear explosion. All he wanted to do was read, then broke his glasses at the end.
The other one with him I liked was where he was deemed obsolete. He was able to choose his method of execution. He locked in the gov't guy, telling him his method of choice was explosion. He let him out at the last minute, but then he (gov't guy) was then deemed obsolete.

Yes, that was the episode where Burgess Meredith wanted time to read and then broke his glasses. And "The Obsolete Man" was the other show to which you referred. Both Meredith and the guy who condemned him to death for being obsolete were great actors.

I just watched one of the hour-long TZ episodes, "Printer's Devil, also starring Burgess Meredith. The hour-long shows werent as well-written (in my opinion) as the half-hour shows but this one was an exception and Burgess Meredith was great in it. He played the devil who came to a sleepy town to help the editor of a failing newspaper in exchange for his immortal soul.

Old 02-05-2015, 06:38 AM

12,350 posts, read 9,722,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
"To Serve Man"
"The Howling Man"
Bingo.

"The Howling Man" is number one and in a class by itself IMO. "To Serve Man" was outstanding as well.

But you know what surprises me? I watched most of those Twilight Zones on their first showings when I was a kid and was a huge fan of the show. Back then, I thought I liked them all - or the vast majority, at least.

What surprises me is that watching them today, I find most episodes silly and not worth the time. I guess I was much easier to please in 1960 than I am today.

That said, there are a dozen or so episodes that are timeless quality, with the two you mention at the top of the list.

Old 02-05-2015, 07:49 AM

2,540 posts, read 2,756,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
"The Howling Man" is number one and in a class by itself IMO. <snip>

What surprises me is that watching them today, I find most episodes silly and not worth the time. I guess I was much easier to please in 1960 than I am today.
I agree. I love the show overall, but some of the episodes are just outright silly and very dated. But yes, The Howling Man is in a class by itself. It's almost like a short horror film.

Old 02-05-2015, 08:03 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,310,746 times
My favorite was "Judgment Night". The story of a German U-boat Captain condemned to be sunk on an ocean liner every night as his penalty for sinking ocean liners without warning.

Old 02-05-2015, 08:51 AM

107 posts, read 217,166 times
Two of my favorites:

To Serve Man -- "It's...it's a cookbook!"

I don't know the name of the other one. It had Donna Douglas (Ellie May Clampett) as a person so hideous that she had to go to some kind of secluded area with her own kind. Then at the end, the doctors and nurses were all revealed to have some kind of strange pig-like faces.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV