Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2015, 10:06 AM

10,214 posts, read 17,881,804 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
We have been traveling and I missed some episodes
BBC America on my DFW TX Uverse does not carry past shows On Demand

they are also showing on BBC UK--a couple of episodes delayed so I can watch there with my VPN

but I am disappointed...
I know these are following the novels and many of the complaints I have really start there...
the sets and other details are good quality and the acting in decent...but Alfred is so unfair to Uhtred--
that bothered me in the novels and still does.
In GoT, there are characters that you find nasty but watchable--the ones in TLK just don't grow on my that way... maybe because they are so pious and hypocritical at same time...
the pagan characters usually are more compelling...
That's because Cornwell is an atheist who was raised by fanatical bible thumpers so he has a lot of resentment towards Christianity that he can't keep out of his stories.

But give it a chance - stop comparing it to other shows. I was comparing it too much to The Vikings and was disappointed. But it's not The Vikings, and it's not Games of Thrones. It's never going to be my favorite show but I do like now.

Quote:
Personally I don't care if they renew for S2...
this hasn't been as watchable/compelling as I hoped--
but it IS better than The Last Executioner which I gave up after E2...
I didn't even finish the first episode of The Last Executioner.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2015, 12:09 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,129,546 times
They wound up covering the events of the first two books in the series, "Last Kingdom" and "Pale Horseman."

The result was a rushed presentation where much of the flavor and character development of the books was lost. I do not know how I would be reacting if I had not read the books and was judging the tv series on a stand alone basis. I'm confident that I would find it inferior to the "Vikings" series, but I may have been less irritated by the deviations from the books.

Old 12-01-2015, 11:23 AM

7,006 posts, read 6,995,315 times
If you don't have HBO and are looking for a knock-off of 'Game of Thrones', The Vikings on the History channel fills in nicely.

Old 12-16-2015, 08:49 PM

2,156 posts, read 3,333,598 times
I like this show but the pace seems a little too fast. I wish it would slow it down a little bit more. Still, I can't wait for S2.

Old 12-17-2015, 08:11 AM

2,270 posts, read 4,124,920 times
As a huge fan of the series. things really bother me:
Why did they change how Uhtred went to the battle? It would have been just as easy to film and just as easy to see why Aelfric usurped Bebbanburg.

Why cut out Rorik? I thought this character had so much to do with Uhtred's inclusion into the household, then the family.

I hated that they didn't show how Brida came to the household; it showed her fierce nature from the beginning.

Really- no Steapa? Why exclude one of the most dynamic characters from the show? I loved how he was such an unmovable force and made Odda's death so much better.

Why not mention Serpent's Breath and Wasp Sting? They are such a huge part of Uhtred's make up.

Lastly, "Fate is all?". Why, because it is assumed that the audience is too stupid to understand " Fate is inexorable"?

I understand that this show is separate from the books, but these changes and omissions make no sense. I had such high hopes and they have been dashed. Sigh.

Old 04-02-2017, 10:43 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,878,910 times
S2 of The Last Kingdom has started on BBC--
I am in the US and watch via a VPN on the IPlayer site

Not sure when/if BBC America will replay this or not

Old 04-03-2017, 07:13 AM

2,270 posts, read 4,124,920 times
I watch the show, but as I am a HUGE fan of the books I have issues with the combination (or deletion) of characters and the pacing of the show.

I am enjoying the second season more than I enjoyed the first season. It just could have been much, much better than it is. Oh, and a dark haired Uhtred? Please.

Old 05-05-2017, 07:48 AM

324 posts, read 331,108 times
Season 2 is on out on Netflix.

Old 10-22-2018, 04:04 PM

324 posts, read 331,108 times
Lol I guess I'll refresh this again , but maybe I'm the only one here excited
Season 3 Nov 19th

Old 10-23-2018, 09:38 AM

125 posts, read 81,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allsunny View Post
Lol I guess I'll refresh this again , but maybe I'm the only one here excited
Season 3 Nov 19th
Thanks for the heads up!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV