Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2016, 07:57 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,914,294 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by IGoZoom View Post
So do I. There are a lot of Rusty 'haters' out there. If you read some of the episode reviews on various TV/Entertainment sites, it's amazing how many people hate the Sharon/Rusty story line and relationship. But I really like it.

I also enjoy the relationships he has with most of the other characters. It's always funny watching Provenza when he thinks the gay topic is going to come up. It's obvious that he loves Rusty, though.
Rusty is terrific. He's the reason I watch the show. I didn't find the Kyra Segewick version very interesting, actually. (And that accent!) The Closer was IMO yet another cop show that wasn't nearly as good as Homicide: Life on the Street, one of my favorite shows of all time, and I gave it up after two or three seasons.

I read about Major Crimes, and Rusty, on another website, and I bingewatched two or three seasons in a couple of weeks. I came to like the other characters, too, this time, especially Provenza and Sharon. (Are you old enough to remember G.W. Bailey from St. Elsewhere?) I don't have cable, so I am waiting for Season 4 to come out on DVD at the end of May. I pre-ordered it today, thanks you reading this thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2016, 10:32 AM

4,902 posts, read 4,226,715 times
Quote:
I've never seen Battlestar Galactica, so I'm not sure what that character was like. But the Sharon Raydor on Major Crimes is a bit different than she was on The Closer.

Raydor was introduced in Season Five as an antagonist/adversary of Deputy Chief Brenda Leigh Johnson (I just like saying/typing her full title and name the way she always said it). =) She wasn't very likable but a lot of the scenes between the two were priceless!

In Season 7 of The Closer (the final season), the two become much less adversarial and seem to respect if not actually like one another. They had to do that to start humanizing Raydor so fans would like her enough to watch Major Crimes. She's still a great character, just different.
Yes Raydor was Brenda's adversary and I hated her for that. I do remember one time she was with Brenda and the team when the situation exploded and she grabbed shotgun and exploded. That one scene put her in a totally different perspective for me.

Old 03-09-2016, 11:40 AM

1,088 posts, read 1,468,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
Rusty is terrific. He's the reason I watch the show. I didn't find the Kyra Segewick version very interesting, actually. (And that accent!) The Closer was IMO yet another cop show that wasn't nearly as good as Homicide: Life on the Street, one of my favorite shows of all time, and I gave it up after two or three seasons.

I read about Major Crimes, and Rusty, on another website, and I bingewatched two or three seasons in a couple of weeks. I came to like the other characters, too, this time, especially Provenza and Sharon. (Are you old enough to remember G.W. Bailey from St. Elsewhere?) I don't have cable, so I am waiting for Season 4 to come out on DVD at the end of May. I pre-ordered it today, thanks you reading this thread.
I remember St. Elsewhere but from later in the show after G.W. Bailey was on it. But I actually remember him from M*A*S*H! =) Thanks to my dad, I saw every episode of that and 'Sanford and Son' multiple times growing up.

I loved Deputy Chief Brenda Leigh Johnson, but her accent was more 'Gone With the Wind' than 'Modern Georgian". I say that as a native of north metro Atlanta.....

Old 03-09-2016, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by longneckone View Post
Yes Raydor was Brenda's adversary and I hated her for that. I do remember one time she was with Brenda and the team when the situation exploded and she grabbed shotgun and exploded. That one scene put her in a totally different perspective for me.
You're talking about the beanbag gun (I posted the clip a page or two back in this thread)? There's something about a woman shooting a gun that I love (not in a pervy way, I'm gay) but I love women who kick @ss! Characters like Calleigh Duquesne on CSI:Miami, Jane Rizzoli on Rizzoli & Isles and the trigger-happy, explosive-loving Fiona Glenanne on Burn Notice are all fascinating to me!

Old 03-09-2016, 02:19 PM

24,509 posts, read 24,235,190 times
I loved The Closer, hated Capt. Raydor until the bean bag gun, love Major Crimes now. Glad to see Fritz, he makes me think of Brenda. I have always liked Rusty. He is a damn good kid.

I'm wondering if the widow of the ADA's bodyguard has anything to do with this convoluted story? We can't be having Julio happy can we? That was deep, finding out why is so angry. Maybe this widow/cop will be good for him.

I love the whole gang. Sometimes even Chief Taylor.

Old 03-09-2016, 03:31 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,295,075 times
Quote:
I've never seen Battlestar Galactica, so I'm not sure what that character was like. But the Sharon Raydor on Major Crimes is a bit different than she was on The Closer.

Raydor was introduced in Season Five as an antagonist/adversary of Deputy Chief Brenda Leigh Johnson (I just like saying/typing her full title and name the way she always said it). =) She wasn't very likable but a lot of the scenes between the two were priceless!

In Season 7 of The Closer (the final season), the two become much less adversarial and seem to respect if not actually like one another. They had to do that to start humanizing Raydor so fans would like her enough to watch Major Crimes. She's still a great character, just different.
In Battlestar Galactica, she was the only surviving member of the list of succession after the attack, and had been the Minester of Education. She was a teacher, not a politician, but knew how to get her way within a system. But when its her and Adama, she was the head of civilian affairs, and he military. But with the last of their species at risk, they frequently butt heads over policy. She's defending the one thing which defined them as a civil society and Adama is seeing a world where all that's gone. She was caniving and manipulative and yet eventually a realist. Its the Closer Raydor that she reflected in that show, especially in how she equalled Adama in stubborn notably when they both really needed to shut up, calm down and talk about what needed to be done.

She used that same tone of voice to Brenda that the President did to the Admiral too. It was very strange seeing her in the Closer and feeling like Rosyln's long long ago ancestor had been found.

I've watched the Closer in syndication, wishing they'd run Major Crimes since it would be interesting how they nicened up her a bit. Galactica had her dying when she leaned to drop the wall.

Old 03-09-2016, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv View Post
I'm wondering if the widow of the ADA's bodyguard has anything to do with this convoluted story? We can't be having Julio happy can we? That was deep, finding out why is so angry. Maybe this widow/cop will be good for him.
I'm not really sure how to describe it, but I've always liked Julio's character but I also felt sorry for him. He always seemed like such a tortured soul, but there were things he would say or do that made it obvious what a decent and honest man he is. Of all the LEOs (law enforcement officers) on either show, he was the one that you knew he became a cop "to protect and serve". Of all the Major Crimes detectives, he's the one that would always have everyone's back in any situation. No matter what, whether you needed him to back you up in a shoot out or help you hide a body, he's the man to call! But you could also sense the pain and anger that tortured him and now we finally understand it!

He's a very deep character and I'm anxious to see where his character goes next season. But after seeing him talking to the doctor about his wife stopping her medication, I just wanted to give the guy a hug!

Old 03-09-2016, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
In Battlestar Galactica, she was the only surviving member of the list of succession after the attack, and had been the Minester of Education. She was a teacher, not a politician, but knew how to get her way within a system. But when its her and Adama, she was the head of civilian affairs, and he military. But with the last of their species at risk, they frequently butt heads over policy. She's defending the one thing which defined them as a civil society and Adama is seeing a world where all that's gone. She was caniving and manipulative and yet eventually a realist. Its the Closer Raydor that she reflected in that show, especially in how she equalled Adama in stubborn notably when they both really needed to shut up, calm down and talk about what needed to be done.

She used that same tone of voice to Brenda that the President did to the Admiral too. It was very strange seeing her in the Closer and feeling like Rosyln's long long ago ancestor had been found.

I've watched the Closer in syndication, wishing they'd run Major Crimes since it would be interesting how they nicened up her a bit. Galactica had her dying when she leaned to drop the wall.
There are few scenes in Major Crimes where she really blew me away. One was the Season 2 finale, after Rusty had testified against Phillip Stroh, and he was clearly very upset. Sharon asks him if testifying brought up some difficult memories and he responded by telling her that he appreciated everything she had done for him but he didn't think he should live with her any longer. She asked, "Why on Earth would you say that?" and (to summarize) he said that he didn't think she'd want him once she knew that he way gay. He compared himself to a gay murderer they had recently caught and said he was just like him, "not in the violent ways, not in the illegal ways" then he kept saying "and I can't fix it!" I have goosebumps as I'm replaying it in my mind (I own the episode on Amazon Video, so I've watched the scene at least 50 times)....He also kept saying I'm just like them and I can't fix it! Sharon hugs him tightly and you see her face resting on his shoulder as she says, "What you are is who I love....and ALL of you is coming home!" She deserved an Emmy or at least a Golden Globe for that one! =)

Last edited by IGoZoom; 03-09-2016 at 05:37 PM.. Reason: Should have said Season 2 finale, not Season 3

Old 03-09-2016, 05:47 PM

24,509 posts, read 24,235,190 times
Quote:
I'm not really sure how to describe it, but I've always liked Julio's character but I also felt sorry for him. He always seemed like such a tortured soul, but there were things he would say or do that made it obvious what a decent and honest man he is. Of all the LEOs (law enforcement officers) on either show, he was the one that you knew he became a cop "to protect and serve". Of all the Major Crimes detectives, he's the one that would always have everyone's back in any situation. No matter what, whether you needed him to back you up in a shoot out or help you hide a body, he's the man to call! But you could also sense the pain and anger that tortured him and now we finally understand it!

He's a very deep character and I'm anxious to see where his character goes next season. But after seeing him talking to the doctor about his wife stopping her medication, I just wanted to give the guy a hug!
I totally agree with you about Julio. I would trust him with my life.

Old 03-09-2016, 06:00 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,295,075 times
Quote:
There are few scenes in Major Crimes where she really blew me away. One was the Season 2 finale, after Rusty had testified against Phillip Stroh, and he was clearly very upset. Sharon asks him if testifying brought up some difficult memories and he responded by telling her that he appreciated everything she had done for him but he didn't think he should live with her any longer. She asked, "Why on Earth would you say that?" and (to summarize) he said that he didn't think she'd want him once she knew that he way gay. He compared himself to a gay murderer they had recently caught and said he was just like him, "not in the violent ways, not in the illegal ways" then he kept saying "and I can't fix it!" I have goosebumps as I'm replaying it in my mind (I own the episode on Amazon Video, so I've watched the scene at least 50 times)....He also kept saying I'm just like them and I can't fix it! Sharon hugs him tightly and you see her face resting on his shoulder as she says, "What you are is who I love....and ALL of you is coming home!" She deserved an Emmy or at least a Golden Globe for that one! =)
Wow, that's amazing. I have prime so maybe when I set up wireless I can watch it on my nice new tv.

What I liked about the Closer was it was less a cop show than one about human tragedy and the cost on all sides. There was seldom any great sense of victory at the end, just a small hope for justice.

I still can't watch the show were Brenda lost her cat. But the one where she lost her mother was so sad and somehow so beautiful. Death coming out of the blue and death planned and peaceful....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV