Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2017, 12:46 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,158,777 times

Advertisements

Cartwright women sure did not have long lifespans after they became engaged to Ben, Adam, Joe, or Eric. Many are shot almost immediately, others die of deadly diseases. The remainder, just seem to wander off and are never heard from again. It would have been nice if just one of them could have married into the family and survived before the show ended.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2017, 12:57 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,041,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
Cartwright women sure did not have long lifespans after they became engaged to Ben, Adam, Joe, or Eric. Many are shot almost immediately, others die of deadly diseases. The remainder, just seem to wander off and are never heard from again. It would have been nice if just one of them could have married into the family and survived before the show ended.

I always suspected Hop Sing as having some role in the mortality rate

Old 04-03-2017, 01:03 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,158,777 times
He did have a HUGE butcher's knife.

Old 04-03-2017, 01:45 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,110,503 times
Fleeting mortality was a tradition for women who came into the Cartwright orbit. Keep in mind that Ben was a triple widower, his sons all had different mothers and all of them had gone belly up prematurely.

Kinda makes you suspect Ben....were these wives insured?

And of course they didn't want to lock the sons into perpetual unions where they would not be able to romance the guest starlet of the week, so naturally any female who fell in love with a Cartwright had to:
A) Get killed
B) Learn that she has a terminal illness
C) Heartbreakingly sacrifice her love for Adam/Joe/Hoss in order to return east and take care of her sick father/mother/brother

The only thing more inevitably fatal on tv than being a woman in love with a Cartwright, was being a red shirt security guard who beams down to a planet with Captain Kirk.

Old 04-03-2017, 01:55 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,975,319 times
I always wondered what the mindset was behind that.

Old 04-03-2017, 02:14 PM

It wasn't just Bonanza, most tv dramas operated along the same no permanent spouse lines. Falling in love with a Barkley was just as deadly. It worked for males as well as females. I recall that among Audra Barkely's love interests there were:
A. One who turned out to be the leader of an extortionist gang...he was killed.
B. One who turned out to be running from a group of vigilante soldiers who had a grudge against him....he was killed.
C. One who was a charlatan faith healer....he wound up getting real faith and left to spread the gospel.
D. One was turned out to be an insane doctor with a plan to kill Victoria to revenge himself for some past grudge...he was killed.

Jarred actually got married once...and she of course was immediately gunned down in a robbery attempt. Nick fell for a woman who turned out to be too addicted to playing the field and enjoying city life...she left. Heath fell for a nun....you can guess the outcome there.

And of course Victoria was already a widow when the program began.

It was just part of the preposterous necessities involved in inventing new adventures every week for one family. Both Audra and Jarred went temporarily blind. Both Victoria and Jarred suffered from amnesia. Both Nick and Heath were close friends with former commanding officers who were wanted fro crimes. Victoria was kidnapped at least three times that I can remember, and was jailed for a crime she didn't commit, as were Nick and Heath at various times. How many times have these things happened in your family?

The Cartwrights and Barkely's had to kill a lot of people, all of them absolutely justified of course, but the only time any of them ever stood trial for murder was when they hadn't done it. And that happened a lot.

Last edited by Grandstander; 04-03-2017 at 02:32 PM..

Old 04-03-2017, 03:59 PM

23,450 posts, read 44,061,014 times
Was it a 50's/60's thing? What was the message here? Considering the prevailing social mores at the time, it always seemed peculiar to me.

Wife-free households on TV in that era:

Bachelor Father
Bonanza
Family Affair
The Courtship of Eddie's Father
My Three Sons
Beverly Hillbillies
Flipper

Old 04-03-2017, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Was it a 50's/60's thing? What was the message here? Considering the prevailing social mores at the time, it always seemed peculiar to me.

Wife-free households on TV in that era:

Bachelor Father
Bonanza
Family Affair
The Courtship of Eddie's Father
My Three Sons
Beverly Hillbillies
Flipper
There was also:
My Little Margie (widower father)
Sky King (raising his niece Penny)
Gidget (widower father)
Fury (single father, adopted son)

Old 04-03-2017, 06:23 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,041,688 times
'My Mother The Car'

nothing to do with any of this, I just like to mention that show whenever I can

Old 04-03-2017, 08:17 PM

23,450 posts, read 44,061,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
'My Mother The Car'

nothing to do with any of this, I just like to mention that show whenever I can
HAHA I actually thought of that show but 'Mother' was very much present in that case.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV