Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2017, 02:37 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,422,654 times

Advertisements

TV is so great these days. As others has mentioned, the quality is higher than movies and the writers have much more control.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2017, 03:38 PM

5,819 posts, read 7,235,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
So the thread's question is for those like me, what would make them go back to such a world? For me, it's basically being treated like a person as I've said.
You want TV to treat you like you wish the world was. No crime, all good morals. Or if there is crime, the bad guys are caught and punished. A rose colored glasses view of society.

Not only is that not the way of the world, most people don't want that in their entertainment. We want to see crime, sci-fi, bad guys, gray moral areas, and more. The good guys don't always win, and the answer is not always black & white. We loved to watch Walter White at the same time we despised his actions.

THAT'S entertainment.

As I said before, if your primary TV channel was TCM, then today's media is not what you are looking for. This is neither good nor bad, nor a comment on any one person. It's a statement of fact.

Old 04-10-2017, 04:14 PM

8,238 posts, read 10,728,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post

I never watched WEEDS.
Weeds doesnt glamorize crime either. The whole premise is that left with nothing this is what she is stuck doing and would prefer to not do it although she (in her mind) is really good at it.

Old 04-10-2017, 04:18 PM

2,709 posts, read 6,316,140 times
I haven't "given up on TV." I did cut my cable back to basic, because I needed to trim some financial fat. I still have the main networks, but I'm finding that I go for days at a time without even turning the TV on. (And no, I don't have any streaming services, other than Amazon prime.)

I don't think I'm permanently unplugged from TV, though. I think this is just a temporary state of affairs. I can't say that I feel like I'm MISSING anything, however. (Except Game of Thrones. I have to watch that when it returns in July.)

Old 04-10-2017, 04:20 PM

8,238 posts, read 10,728,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post

I don't want to be lied to by the network. If they cancelled the show, then say it. Don't say they took it back for reorganization or that they moved it to another time slot. If it is gone, then just say so.
Networks dont lie to you. At best it is a lie of omission and even that is a stretch. Many times they wont come right out and say a show is cancelled because that instantly drives people away. They'd at least like to get something for their money.

I have said this before and I will say it again. I think you way overcomplicate the concept of tv. It isnt what it once was. It has evolved. You can explore that evolution with something as simple as a $10/mo membership to Netflix.

For me there are countless things to watch but I dont give it that much thought. I see a preview and check it out. I dont have a cheklist that I need to run down before deciding to watch something.

TV should entertain you not stress you out.

Last edited by SabresFanInSA; 04-10-2017 at 04:46 PM..

Old 04-10-2017, 05:20 PM

23,652 posts, read 13,998,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
You want TV to treat you like you wish the world was. No crime, all good morals. Or if there is crime, the bad guys are caught and punished. A rose colored glasses view of society.

Not only is that not the way of the world, most people don't want that in their entertainment. We want to see crime, sci-fi, bad guys, gray moral areas, and more. The good guys don't always win, and the answer is not always black & white. We loved to watch Walter White at the same time we despised his actions.

THAT'S entertainment.

As I said before, if your primary TV channel was TCM, then today's media is not what you are looking for. This is neither good nor bad, nor a comment on any one person. It's a statement of fact.
No, I don't want TV to treat me like cattle. Where everything is squeezed together, such as with the end credits, to get more advertising in.

I don't want to be treated like dirt because I am not around to watch prime time, where when I can watch, they put the minimal effort into entertaining me.

It wasn't so much the shows being shown as the way they were showing them.

Now, that is me........what about others who have thrown in the towel?

Now, who is this Walter White?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresFanInSA View Post
....... You can explore that evolution with something as simple as a $10/mo membership to Netflix.

For me there are countless things to watch but I dont give it that much thought. I see a preview and check it out. I dont have a cheklist that I need to run down before deciding to watch something.

TV should entertain you not stress you out.
In reverse order, EXACTLY, that is what TV was doing, it was stressing me out, so I stopped watching.

As far as Netflix goes, if I am going to pay for a library, I want the things I like to always be in that library. Since Netflix can't deliver that, because they don't always renew licenses, then I follow the philosophy of having it in my hot little hand. Besides, out this far, there is no streaming. I am limited to 50G download a month.

But not to worry, we are catching up to the world out here. Why, we even have telephones wired into the wall now!

Last edited by TamaraSavannah; 04-10-2017 at 05:29 PM..

Old 04-10-2017, 06:33 PM

862 posts, read 1,197,559 times
I have almost given up on TV other than dvds and Hulu and that's it !! One big reason is the commercials. I live in Denver and I swear every other ad is for a lawyer or King Soopers supermarkets. It's also the same reason why I given up radio too. Hear an announcer say "I given up alcohol and tobacco" and see the same person at the bars and yes they are drinking beer and smoking cigarettes yet the ads continue. No thanks !!!

I have zero interest in current TV so that leaves out shows like Fargo, Breaking Bad and the like. I just can't get into it.

"Why don't you watch Me-TV ??", "Antenna TV has some good stuff"......the signal for those channels go over my house. I tried !!!

Nah I doubt there is anything that can be done to get me back to watching.

Old 04-10-2017, 06:38 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,251,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FluidFreedom View Post
Nothing wrong with that. I myself enjoy crocheting while watching a good show or movie.
Mr. CSD is just the opposite, he loves the television so I will sit in the living room with him and crochet for as long as I can stand to listen to the programs he is watching which is usually less than 10 minutes but I do try to stay as long as possible.

Old 04-10-2017, 06:38 PM

1,672 posts, read 1,251,052 times
There's really nothing that could convince me to come back. I don't doubt that there are plenty of great shows on TV, but I don't have time to watch them.
Maybe if my life was more stable and I had less to worry about, I could watch TV without this nagging feeling that I'm sitting in one place for hours, doing nothing to improve myself.

Old 04-11-2017, 07:16 AM

3,929 posts, read 2,954,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Mr. CSD is just the opposite, he loves the television so I will sit in the living room with him and crochet for as long as I can stand to listen to the programs he is watching which is usually less than 10 minutes but I do try to stay as long as possible.
There are shows that my husband likes that I do not, but I will sit in the living room with him and either crochet, read, use my stepper, stretch....something. I always have to be doing something. I can never just sit and watch a show.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV