Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2018, 11:30 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indigo Cardinal View Post

Putting a bullet in folk might be quicker, but Gilead is also about mind control. After awhile, the threat of a quick death would become, "So what, get it over with, at least it'll be over and done for me," but the thought of torture/suffering can do a *lot* more to break people down mentally.
Right. Like I said, you could still let the legend of "the colonies" live on to scare people (it's not like they can or would check), but get the work done a lot of faster and cheaper by trucking a couple of bulldozers out there and just having at it. And they already have guys and aunts out there supervising. You could cut that staff substantially (as well as the living quarters, food/water/etc) and just bulldoze.

My constant irritation with the show is the incompetent inefficiency that seems to go on all the time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2018, 11:39 AM

4,031 posts, read 2,716,220 times
I think the overall thing is that Gilead *was* inefficient, which was part of why, in the book epilogue, it ultimately failed. For example, any Handmaid who fails to become pregnant by her Commander/s gets declared sterile and "Unwoman" and banished to the colonies....even if she had children in the time before. Well, if you're a society desperate for children, why throw away any women who *proved* they could have children, instead of looking at the men they were paired up with and saying, "It's probably the guy?"

Old 05-02-2018, 02:09 PM

1,879 posts, read 1,554,821 times
Spoiler
I knew it was too good to be true. June went through the emotions of leaving her daughter behind...and didn’t even get to safety. How did she know where the pickup point was for the plane?

Old 05-02-2018, 09:08 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,564,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I dunno. What about the Taliban?
Exactly. It's not far fetched at all. Very similar circumstances exist today in other countries, and the root of it is religious extremism and control over women.

Old 05-02-2018, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Right. Like I said, you could still let the legend of "the colonies" live on to scare people (it's not like they can or would check), but get the work done a lot of faster and cheaper by trucking a couple of bulldozers out there and just having at it. And they already have guys and aunts out there supervising. You could cut that staff substantially (as well as the living quarters, food/water/etc) and just bulldoze.

My constant irritation with the show is the incompetent inefficiency that seems to go on all the time.
They have video. Offred saw her mother laboring on video. Before we saw that, there was word of mouth.

Old 05-02-2018, 09:19 PM

Quote:
I think the overall thing is that Gilead *was* inefficient, which was part of why, in the book epilogue, it ultimately failed. For example, any Handmaid who fails to become pregnant by her Commander/s gets declared sterile and "Unwoman" and banished to the colonies....even if she had children in the time before. Well, if you're a society desperate for children, why throw away any women who *proved* they could have children, instead of looking at the men they were paired up with and saying, "It's probably the guy?"
They have figured that out. Offred's Dr. told her about men being sterile, that he was not, and he could help her in that way. Offred was too scared, but then her Mistress said to lay with Nick to get pregnant, and they had the convo about how some people use their Drs, and Mrs Waterford said that was too dangerous.

Later, She throws it in Fred's face that the baby is not his. He asks Offred, she lies, and he says 'You're a good liar', but lets it go. Everyone knows all this, but the work-arounds are done 'secretly'.

Old 05-03-2018, 01:04 PM

Here's a question, based off of next week's teaser, and the fact we know June is Luke's second wife....but what do you suppose happened to the 'first wives' once Gilead took over? Especially if, like Luke, their former husbands managed to get out of the country?

Old 05-03-2018, 01:19 PM

1,761 posts, read 2,098,838 times
Did Luke and June ever get married? If so, why were they not econopeople and instead were forced to run?

That was the only thing that truly confused me last night. I liked seeing the econopeople though. I was wondering how the rest of society lived.

Last night was tense though. Poor June.

Old 05-03-2018, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sawyersmom View Post
Did Luke and June ever get married? If so, why were they not econopeople and instead were forced to run?

That was the only thing that truly confused me last night. I liked seeing the econopeople though. I was wondering how the rest of society lived.

Last night was tense though. Poor June.
They were married under U.S. law, but Gilead declared divorces to be null and void (Luke was divorced from his first wife and remarried to June under U.S. law, under Gilead law, he was still married to his first wife, and his marriage to June was declared invalid), so June was seen as an adulteress and therefore, fair game once Gilead took over.

Old 05-03-2018, 02:22 PM

1,879 posts, read 1,554,821 times
Quote:
Here's a question, based off of next week's teaser, and the fact we know June is Luke's second wife....but what do you suppose happened to the 'first wives' once Gilead took over? Especially if, like Luke, their former husbands managed to get out of the country?
That’s a good question. I would think that nothing happened to her if she didn’t get remarried. If she remarried, then Gilead might very well label her an adulterous. Then again Luke was the one who had the affair but who knows.

I’m waiting for the first wife to make an appearance. Perhaps she’s a Martha and will encounter June and make her life a living hell.

The first wife's entire purpose is likely just to make June and Luke's marriage as grounds for June's labeling as an adulterous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV