Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-28-2018, 05:51 AM

21,109 posts, read 13,593,740 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
I agree. I've often felt like that had to conserve power or something in their homes.
I'm much too caught up in the characters to analyse it, but I remember having a thought that part of the Puritanical living is eschewing technology except when necessary.

There are no televisions, are there? 'News' would be only state sponsored. 'Entertainment' would be a sin along with magazines and novels.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2018, 08:28 AM

7,489 posts, read 4,965,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
I'm much too caught up in the characters to analyse it, but I remember having a thought that part of the Puritanical living is eschewing technology except when necessary.

There are no televisions, are there? 'News' would be only state sponsored. 'Entertainment' would be a sin along with magazines and novels.
I wonder if it isn't more about a time when information is tightly controlled. The authoritarian government seems to know everything that everyone is doing, along the lines of "big brother is watching".

I also find it interesting that when the book was written, homosexuality was still in the closet. This social viewpoint is addressed as "gender traitor", although we know that Margaret Atwood was not opposed to same sex relationships.

Old 05-30-2018, 07:57 PM

324 posts, read 331,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post

Yes I believe that was the goal. They all wear same clothing...comanders wife's one color, Martha's another color. Remember the screen where Serena puts her books and shoes in the garbage. They are living for the glory of God, so no colorful dresses, shoes, tv's or IPods .
Today's episode was good did not see that coming

Old 05-30-2018, 10:36 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,043,264 times
At first I didn't like that they brought back handmaids from the colonies. I was thinking how they could already have radiation poisoning, which could cause them to get sick and die, or pass that on to the baby if any of them were to get pregnant. It just seems like a risky move, especially to bring back those who were previously causing trouble. Although it could be a good way to keep others in line, since they'll come back and tell the others the horrible things they saw while at the colonies.

But as I thought about it, i realized it shows just how unsustainable their model of living is. They don't have anyone to replace the current handmaids. They had no other choice but to bring back a few from the colonies. And they had to pick whoever has been their the shortest amount of time, as they're going to be the healthiest. What happens in 4-5 years when these handmaids don't get pregnant? Will they start trying to make the econo wives handmaids, or maybe even their children?

Old 05-31-2018, 04:22 AM

5,725 posts, read 11,728,224 times
Pretty disappointed with this latest episode, especially after the big ending from the last one. It's getting harder to buy the plausibility of the society, like accepting that they would return handmaids back to the same neighborhood where they caused so much trouble, or that a handmaid would be walking through the hospital unsupervised and having an illicit moment in a public space without being detected.

Without the novel to ground it, the second season looks like it is being plotted by a committee who aren't all on the same page. They have twists they want to work in which are contradictory to the world they have set the story in. I get that some suspension of belief is necessary to enjoy the show, but they need to be more consistent. Authors put a lot of work into backstory for novels in order to avoid inconsistencies.

Old 05-31-2018, 04:57 AM

12,906 posts, read 15,677,230 times
maf763, I do agree with you on some points. Really, Nick and June kissing in the hall of the hospital? That seems sloppy and careless and aren't there cameras EVERYWHERE?

As to bringing back the two handmaids, for a moment I had a small worry that they were going to use them as spies to figure out what is going on with June's escape as well as the bombing. But I think I may have overthought that.

I am sort of enjoying Serena taking control a bit.

Old 05-31-2018, 06:26 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,341,966 times
I agree with what SundayDrive said. In their world, where women can't seem to get pregnant would they really bring handmaids in from the colonies who could have radiation poisoning?

I watched last night's episode and then watched a few from the first season. When June first got to the Waterfords she was narrating about her room and that the windows were unbreakable as Gilead was afraid the handmaids might commit suicide. Didn't June fall or jump out of the window when she thought she was miscarrying or was she in a different room when that happened?

Also did Moira's girlfriend die from the bombing or before that? If she was part of the handmaid's wouldn't June have recognized her?

I hope this show isn't going to become like "Lost" where the writers have lost direction. Perhaps they should have just ended it after season one like in the book but since it was a money maker I guess that wasn't going to happen.

Old 05-31-2018, 06:52 AM

7,195 posts, read 5,736,389 times
Moira's girlfriend died before the bombing. She was likely put to death because she was an obstetrician; she might have provided abortions (or might have been accused of providing abortions), and all of the abortionists were executed.

I was also very uncomfortable with Nick and June kissing in the hospital. That was a dumb move. And I had the same thoughts about the women from the colonies... although most of the women don't become pregnant anyway and they're still around.

Some changes are coming, though, and Serena is taking charge. I'm looking forward to seeing how it plays out. The part where the handmaids all shared their names was good. Eden looked concerned. I wonder what, if anything, will happen there.

Old 05-31-2018, 06:57 AM

1,381 posts, read 2,106,606 times
I have been thinking about the whole June jumping out the window thing and really we don't know for sure that she jumped. We just saw her laying there and made that assumption. She could've been leaving the house to go to Nick's and just fallen down out there as she was bleeding quite profusely then. Or she may have just left the house and lay there to die. I think if she had jumped, she would've suffered more injuries than she did.

The kissing scene did feel unlikely but perhaps they thought that all the guards etc were stationed on the streets with that new commander so they felt a little free-er.
Interesting twist about Moira having a child prior to the Invasion.

I really liked the scene where all the handmaids began sharing their names.

Old 05-31-2018, 07:33 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,341,966 times
You're right - maybe June didn't fall out of a window at all. I remember her sitting by the window and the next thing Nick finds her on the ground. It was a dark scene so I just assumed she fell or jumped out the window.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV