Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-14-2018, 04:04 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,571,675 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
I think so. The Commander is going to figure out that someone had to have slipped those letters into the Canadian's hands and the timing of it would definitely throw suspicion on Nick. Also when he was upstairs with June, I half expected to see that Eden was watching from downstairs.

The book is ready at my library; going to pick it up today.
They didn't say that anyone turned them in in or from Canada. They just said they were uploaded. Could be from anywhere. Even America
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2018, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indigo Cardinal View Post
So here's a thought I had after watching the episode last night:

Fred had mentioned early in the talks with Canada that there was promise of them sending back the 'illegal emigrants' (meaning the refugees, such as Luke, Moira, and others.)

However, the U.S. Government still does exist in some form--they definitely control Hawaii, and I think last night they mentioned they hold Alaska as well.

Surely, what's left of the U.S. would consider the refugees to be U.S. citizens, and insist that these people be released to travel to either Alaska or Hawaii, instead of being sent back to Gilead.

For that matter, why aren't more of the refugees taking those options, instead of living in exile in a foreign country (which is currently sympathetic and friendly to them, but this could change, depending?) I imagine some would rather be closer by in case more of their loved ones make it across, but you'd think Canada would start pushing for as many refugees as possible to go?
That is what the letters destroyed. Fred said 'I thought you believed me?' And the Canadian said 'Now, we believe the women'.

Old 06-14-2018, 11:04 PM

1,899 posts, read 2,265,165 times
Erin, the girl who escaped with Luke, doesn't seem to have much of a purpose in the plot. I wonder if they're holding on to her for a bigger role in the story later.

Old 06-15-2018, 05:09 AM

15,220 posts, read 10,318,759 times
I got the book yesterday. I am not enjoying it as much as I am the TV show. Margaret Atwood seems to have a strange disjointed way of writing. I've haven't read any of her other books so maybe it's just The Handmaid's Tale.

Old 06-16-2018, 04:36 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,315,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
But if they just want to kill him off why bring in the wife and that whole storyline? Would have been simpler to just kill him without all that IMO. I am kind of hoping he somehow is involved with getting the baby out after June is gone. I can't see her making a successful escape with the baby, and there needs to be someone left behind who has an interest in reuniting her with the baby. I don't know, maybe just wishful thinking on my part.
I think, from a story creation standpoint, the wife is the thread between Nick, the letters, and the Waterfords getting ousted from Canada. If the wife didn't exist, I don't believe a connection between the letters and Nick could be made.

Old 06-16-2018, 04:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherTouchOfWhimsy View Post
I hope they don't do the whole love triangle/competition thing. This show is too deep for that, IMO. So many other more important things are happening to let it devolve into that; one of the major themes is womanhood and what that means. For them to default to a tired formula of two strapping men and one damsel would be really unfortunate.
Couldn't agree more.

While I appreciate the interplay in the Nick-June-Luke storyline, it would be demoralizing to Atwood's story as well as the series to reduce this to just another damsel in distress fairy tale.

What I appreciate about the dynamics of this particular storyline is it shows how people who are under extreme duress grab any shred of humanity, love, pleasure they can. It is clear that June is still very much in love with Luke. When Nick told her about Luke, June's face radiated such deep relief and love for Luke that I got goosebumps. However, we also see that June clearly has deep feelings for Nick as well. However, I don't think the show should make either Nick or Luke the hero of the story...I really hope they don't. June and the other handmaid's need to be masters of their own destiny otherwise the integrity of the entire store will be shot to hell, IMHO.

Old 06-16-2018, 04:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
That is what the letters destroyed. Fred said 'I thought you believed me?' And the Canadian said 'Now, we believe the women'.
Interesting thought I just had upon reading your post...

Isn't it just the way that people had to risk their lives to write and smuggle those letters for the women to be believed while the man's version of events is just taken at face value?

Old 06-16-2018, 04:51 AM

Quote:
I got the book yesterday. I am not enjoying it as much as I am the TV show. Margaret Atwood seems to have a strange disjointed way of writing. I've haven't read any of her other books so maybe it's just The Handmaid's Tale.
I've cautioned people that Atwood's writing is nothing like the series. And that doesn't mean her writing is bad (its absolutely wonderful IMO) or the series isn't faithful to the novel (Season 1 was a great depiction of the book).

But yes, Atwood's writing, IMHO, can be described as...understated. She is very careful with her word choices. None of the words on her pages are superfluous. I read The Handmaid's Tale 20 some years ago and I was immediately enamored with Atwood's command of language and the way she used specific words to relay atmosphere, personality, etc. Her books Oryx and Crake and The Year of the Flood are also like this.

In THT and O&C, the stories are largely told by one narrator who is IN the story. So Atwood doesn't employ quotation marks in order to convey the thoughts of the character/narrator. Atwood also uses a TON of symbolism, similes, and metaphors in her writing. So its important to pay attention to those as well. The important thing to remember when reading THT is you are literally reading the thoughts of Offred. You know how our thoughts all run together in our heads? That is what you are reading on the page.

It takes a bit to get used to but I think if you keep plugging away you'll end up being as touched by the book as others are.

Old 06-16-2018, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Interesting thought I just had upon reading your post...

Isn't it just the way that people had to risk their lives to write and smuggle those letters for the women to be believed while the man's version of events is just taken at face value?

I understand what you mean, but the Canadians do not know that the letters were smuggled/lives put at risk. They don't know how they came to be uploaded. The detail in them was simply compelling, and they do not believe that so many were lying. I do not think that the Canadians are misogynists like Gilead.

Old 06-16-2018, 07:59 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,167,528 times
Quote:
No, that’s her writing style.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV