Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2018, 11:18 AM

15,220 posts, read 10,318,759 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by desperatedogadvice View Post
I didn't know how to take that...

i can't imagine he would deny Serena her child that she so clearly longs for. But maybe because its confirmed that its neither biologically his nor hers he doesn't care. And he's pretty petty and vengeful.

I also thought he could have been trying to keep her quiet about the rape. Or maybe he felt closer to her after that-- they have not had the ceremony in a while. He clearly enjoyed it.

But why would he feel the need to keep quiet about the rape? It's done regularly during the ceremonies unless he's worried about Aunt Lydia?

I really don't know who I despise more - Fred or Serena. I don't picture either of them being good parents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2018, 11:24 AM

4,032 posts, read 2,717,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
But why would he feel the need to keep quiet about the rape? It's done regularly during the ceremonies unless he's worried about Aunt Lydia?
During the ceremonies, yes--but it's illegal to have sexual relations with their Handmaids outside of that. Commander Putnam lost his left hand over his doings with Janine. Since June was obviously already pregnant, Fred had no 'excuse' to have sex with her.

Old 06-21-2018, 11:34 AM

4,032 posts, read 2,717,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post

Oh! I didn't even think it could be a set up for Nick... good idea!
I wonder if it was a set-up for both Nick *and* June. Fred wants to get rid of Nick, no question, but sending June off with him to to the middle of nowhere while heavily pregnant seems strange--especially given that he arranged a meeting with Hannah.

I wonder if he was going to have Nick and June brought up on charges of conspiring to kidnap Hannah and escaping together to Canada? (And too bad for Hannah's Martha and Guardian who would just get caught up in the mess.) Because those other Guardians just happening to come by just then seems suspicious--it might be they were meant to catch all four of the adults 'attempting to flee' with Hannah (and were either just too late to get them while they were all there, or were just tipped off something was up, but didn't know exactly what, so didn't know to look for anybody other than Nick)--Nick, the other Guardian, and the Martha would all be executed on the spot, and June would be kept alive long enough to give birth and then executed herself.

Old 06-21-2018, 05:27 PM

15,971 posts, read 7,036,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indigo Cardinal View Post
I wonder if it was a set-up for both Nick *and* June. Fred wants to get rid of Nick, no question, but sending June off with him to to the middle of nowhere while heavily pregnant seems strange--especially given that he arranged a meeting with Hannah.

I wonder if he was going to have Nick and June brought up on charges of conspiring to kidnap Hannah and escaping together to Canada? (And too bad for Hannah's Martha and Guardian who would just get caught up in the mess.) Because those other Guardians just happening to come by just then seems suspicious--it might be they were meant to catch all four of the adults 'attempting to flee' with Hannah (and were either just too late to get them while they were all there, or were just tipped off something was up, but didn't know exactly what, so didn't know to look for anybody other than Nick)--Nick, the other Guardian, and the Martha would all be executed on the spot, and June would be kept alive long enough to give birth and then executed herself.
That sounds horrible.
This is what I think. The two that came are activists and had somehow known June will be coming - may be the Martha with the kid is an informer. They will first kill (or not kill once they know Nick"s true identity), and come back and get June. This will be the beginning of the resistance. But before the series ends June will have the baby - born in freedom as June wishes.

Old 06-21-2018, 05:30 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,384,306 times
Got my wife this tshirt. Thought you guys would think it's funny. She does not watch the show, but that's the gag we have.
Attached Thumbnails
The Handmaid's Tale (Hulu)-2665301_4.jpg  

Old 06-21-2018, 05:58 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,571,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emotiioo View Post
Right??

I get so tired of people saying "oh my! Too depressing!" when we have actual scenes like this going on with parents being separated from their kids and not knowing when they will see them again (if ever) in real life. Its just a TV show. If you have to look away from this because its not rainbows and sunshine, what will you do if (and when) terrible things happen in real life?

But yeah I thought this was the last episode of the season. So relieved. Fred was really dumb to do this. He may have set Nick up, especially after that little piece of vitriol June spewed at him in his study. Not sure though.

Anyone feel sad for Eden? She is a baby and not the sharpest tool in the shed but when she realized she was basically staring down the barrel of a lifetime without any love, I felt my heart break for her.

Meanwhile, the June/Hannah scene tore me a new one. Just gutting. But again, not far from reality.
I didn't think of that. Could be, he would hate Nick for being the father of 'his' baby and it was convenient that the police came right after Hannah left. And it didn't make sense for him to be giving June a gift. Oh my, see? I knew there would be consequences to everything. UGH.

Old 06-21-2018, 10:38 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,571,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indigo Cardinal View Post
During the ceremonies, yes--but it's illegal to have sexual relations with their Handmaids outside of that. Commander Putnam lost his left hand over his doings with Janine. Since June was obviously already pregnant, Fred had no 'excuse' to have sex with her.
June's word against theirs. Serena would not rat her husband out, it was her idea. The second she said 'the natural way' I knew what she meant.

In the case of Janine's Commander, the wife was pissed and asked for the maximum punishment.

Old 06-22-2018, 12:45 AM

16,076 posts, read 21,159,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desperatedogadvice View Post
I also thought he could have been trying to keep her quiet about the rape.
That's along the line of thought I had. "Here, I did this terrible thing to you and now in return I'm doing this thing you so desperately wanted." I think in his mind it absolves him of any guilty feelings, he can pretend he made it up to her and gave her some happiness after the misery he inflicted, so it's all ok.

Old 06-22-2018, 05:11 AM

3,248 posts, read 2,457,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
That's along the line of thought I had. "Here, I did this terrible thing to you and now in return I'm doing this thing you so desperately wanted." I think in his mind it absolves him of any guilty feelings, he can pretend he made it up to her and gave her some happiness after the misery he inflicted, so it's all ok.
June definitely resisted this time and in the past she has been checked out and docile during the ceremon. So even though her protest seemed to excite the commander he had to notice that she was not as calm as usual. He may have deluded himself that she enjoys his physical attention and does feel some guilt. Remember when he couldn't perform when June didn't respond to a request for a date in the study before the ceremony?

Nonetheless he wants nick gone. He may believe Nick is taken care of by being married off but he can't really be that stupid. I am reading a lot of reviews of the episode that call the situation a set up for Nick. But maybe June too! Why else give her a chance to say goodbye to her daughter?

Old 06-22-2018, 06:15 AM

15,220 posts, read 10,318,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Got my wife this tshirt. Thought you guys would think it's funny. She does not watch the show, but that's the gag we have.

Hysterical! LOL!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV