Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2018, 11:25 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,315,035 times

Advertisements

Okay. Just finished Episode 11. Wow. Just...wow. I sobbed when June gave birth to Holly for so many reasons. The cut scenes between Holly's birth and Hannah's birth...the connection between June and Moira and June and Luke just got to me in such a primal way. June's face, her howls, rocking back and forth in the dark ... pushing, pushing until Holly was born. It was all just so primal and beautiful. Excellent episode.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2018, 11:30 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,315,035 times
Just got the idea to look up the meanings of the characters' names...very interesting IMHO:

June: The name June is a Latin baby name. In Latin the meaning of the name June is: Young. In Roman mythology Juno was protectress of women and of marriage. In modern times June is therefore known as the bridal month.

Moira: fate, destiny. Can also mean rebellion, bitter and wished-for child.

Luke: light-giving. Also, the patron saint of doctors and artists.

Hannah: Gracious; merciful; one who gives.

Holly: Holy. Also means to prick.

Old 06-27-2018, 11:54 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,571,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Just got the idea to look up the meanings of the characters' names...very interesting IMHO:

June: The name June is a Latin baby name. In Latin the meaning of the name June is: Young. In Roman mythology Juno was protectress of women and of marriage. In modern times June is therefore known as the bridal month.

Moira: fate, destiny. Can also mean rebellion, bitter and wished-for child.

Luke: light-giving. Also, the patron saint of doctors and artists.

Hannah: Gracious; merciful; one who gives.

Holly: Holy. Also means to prick.
That fits our characters.

It's done often on TV during birth but I crack up everytime when the woman turns on the man and tells him to f off. Luke is all ok. She's like no, seriously, f off. He's like ok. LOL.

Old 06-28-2018, 04:52 AM

12,905 posts, read 15,664,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
You are playing with me! Aren't you? I have to listen again.
Yep, it was Oprah. My son noticed it first then I was like "oh, yeah."

Old 06-28-2018, 04:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indigo Cardinal View Post
P
And a few small things I noticed and wondered about....the Commander and his wife who adopted Hannah--think they might be....not quite as aligned with all the ideals of Gilead? There's the Commander's hot rod in the garage for starters, and I also noticed a girl's bike in there, appropriate for Hannah's age (a bike just doesn't seem like a very Gilead-like thing for girls). And I'd have to watch the scene again, but I think Hannah's drawing (that her new parents framed) even had her writing on it?
Yes, there's something up with Hannah's family. I do think it is their house but maybe a second home that they don't live in full time? There is far more snow in that location that where Fred and Serena live.

Also, do you remember in Season 1 where I think Serena (or maybe it was Aunt Lydia) takes June somewhere in a car and out the front door comes Hannah and either her new mother or maybe it was a Martha. It was June's first glimpse of Hannah and they let her see her to know she was safe. Remember she was banging on the car windows?

Anyway, they were not at that house but more in a populated area.

But I feel like this other home might be whoever that person's real home was before the takeover and it might be way out.

Old 06-28-2018, 05:01 AM

21,109 posts, read 13,571,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
Yep, it was Oprah. My son noticed it first then I was like "oh, yeah."
That is cool! I would react the same as June. God Bless America, and the message is from Oprah to boot (glad she is safe, btw).

Old 06-28-2018, 05:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
That is cool! I would react the same as June. God Bless America, and the message is from Oprah to boot (glad she is safe, btw).
Well, you know Oprah lives in Hawaii most of the year and Hawaii is still "free."

Old 06-28-2018, 05:29 AM

4,032 posts, read 2,717,319 times
The funny thing about Oprah's voice cameo is that I had been thinking it'd be interesting for the show to have 'guest stars' as themselves, in a heavily fictionalized version--not all celebrities would have been able to get out in time, so there might have been some that were pressed into Handmaid service, Martha service....or ended up on the wall (Neil Patrick Harris and his husband, for example, would have been killed and their children taken away.)

Old 06-28-2018, 06:45 AM

16,421 posts, read 12,515,078 times
I'm just excited to see that Bradley Whitford is in next week's episode!!!

Old 06-28-2018, 06:49 AM

1,381 posts, read 2,104,523 times
Such a great episode with a cliff hanger ending. There was sooo much blood though - hard to believe that she could lose that much blood during delivery and be just fine - in fact, be fine enough to get dressed, walk outside and shoot that gun..
She really is a remarkable actress. I love her on Mad Men and on that New Zealand drama The Girl in The lake.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV