Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2018, 10:43 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,571,675 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indigo Cardinal View Post
Now that Holly has been born, I wonder if the writers are going to set June up in a "Sophie's Choice" situation.....where she might have a chance to escape with one of her daughters, but she's going to have to choose which one she gets out of Gilead.
She told Hannah to enjoy her life, love her parents. At a minimum, that signals she knows this will take a long time, if it happens at all.

Quote:
I also wonder if the show's writers are keeping the epilogue of the book in mind, where historians never determined Offred's ultimate fate, or who she really was, and if they're somehow going to tie into that eventually?
Quote:
Since the show gives us concrete, detailed answers for the fates of certain characters that we don't get in the book (ex: Luke, Ofglen), there's a good chance Offred's story will conclude in a far less obscure way. At a recent Tribeca Film Festival panel, showrunner Bruce Miller said he "wanted to know more" upon finishing Atwood's novel and hopes to elaborate on the world she built. "I wanted to know what happens next. The end of the book is quite a mystery, so I get to make it up." This is one of the few times where deviating from the original story will probably be the best choice.

https://www.popsugar.com/entertainme...k-End-43544897
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2018, 05:30 AM

15,220 posts, read 10,318,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
Sigh, she has only escaped one time. They are not recycling anything.

I believe it is two times. The first when Nick helped her escape and now this time where the Commander had Nick drive her to see her daughter. Although she didn't technically escape this second time, she is missing for the second time in her pregnancy. Even the Waterford's are concerned how this is going to look if I remember their conversation at the house correctly.

Old 07-01-2018, 05:59 AM

21,109 posts, read 13,571,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
I believe it is two times. The first when Nick helped her escape and now this time where the Commander had Nick drive her to see her daughter. Although she didn't technically escape this second time, she is missing for the second time in her pregnancy. Even the Waterford's are concerned how this is going to look if I remember their conversation at the house correctly.
Because they believed she had escaped again. She has escaped one time only. Tried to this time, it didn't take, it's not a re-hash of the same thing over and over being the point made to another poster.

It's unrealistic to expect the little cracks in Gilead cause it to fall overnight, or for June's inspiration to fight again immediately have any actual results. The posters that are 'sick of' Gilead tuned into the wrong show, as that what it is about.

Old 07-01-2018, 11:15 AM

7,195 posts, read 5,729,801 times
I also didn't like this last episode. They dragged it out way too much, IMO. Like why even bother with the whole "I'm going to take the car and escape" idea? There was no way she wouldn't be discovered anyway. I did like that she gave birth alone, though, and that Serena Joy missed out on her bizarre "birthing" ceremony.

Old 07-01-2018, 01:24 PM

1,899 posts, read 2,265,165 times
June tried to escape once before when she and Moira tied the aunt to a pipe and stole her uniform. June was captured in the subway station and Moira wound up at Jezebel's.

Old 07-02-2018, 05:26 AM

15,220 posts, read 10,318,759 times
Oh, yes I forgot about that. I do hope when this series ends it's on a happy note.

Old 07-02-2018, 10:09 AM

3,248 posts, read 2,457,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherTouchOfWhimsy View Post
I also didn't like this last episode. They dragged it out way too much, IMO. Like why even bother with the whole "I'm going to take the car and escape" idea? There was no way she wouldn't be discovered anyway. I did like that she gave birth alone, though, and that Serena Joy missed out on her bizarre "birthing" ceremony.
I thought it was slow. It was almost like watching a play-- Waterfords enter stage right, looking upset. But the baby had to be born sometime. I am glad they didn't end the season on a labor cliffhanger.

I think the show is circling an idea foreshadowed when June was taken in by the econo family and the wife says to her "I would rather die than have my kids taken away" and June says "I used to think that too." It will be interesting if she escapes and reunites with Luke without Hannah. The guilt and loss (and I am sure blame on some level) could be heartbreaking.

Old 07-04-2018, 10:16 AM

28,098 posts, read 29,976,114 times
Can someone who has read the book please tell me how closely the TV series matches the book. I absolutely, positively LOVE the TV show, and I'm really seriously thinking about reading the book, but would either the book or the show spoil the other one? If you've read the book, has it spoiled the show for you?

Old 07-04-2018, 11:07 AM

15,972 posts, read 7,036,148 times
The show follows the book only in season 1

Old 07-04-2018, 12:17 PM

28,098 posts, read 29,976,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
The show follows the book only in season 1
Thank you for the information! I think I'll get it in that case. I'm assuming, then, that the book doesn't just end at the place season one ended, but goes off into a different direction. Would that be correct?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV