Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2018, 09:51 AM

21,109 posts, read 13,568,403 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
I think it speaks to how Gilead came to power in the first place. Here we have a monster, responsible for the deaths of hundreds of women, but people want to believe he is actually doing good work because... they like him? Think he's good looking? They'll even downplay his abusive behavior towards his wife because of this as well.

Same with the wives. They had all of their freedom taken away, lost their jobs, their hobbies, etc... but they allowed it to happen. They allow their husbands to rape other women in front of them, in their own bed... Because they trusted the husbands they loved to be good people, even when they were clearly shown o be horrible people.
?? Despite my love for the actor, no, no, not at all. I said earlier I fully expected him to be the most evil we have seen yet when his character was announced. I was thinking Bradley will be good at being evil like he was in GET OUT.

The reason I think he might be 'good' now, is that is one of the theories going around the net. That he realizes his wife is right, what he has done is monstrous, and he wants to make reparations however he can. Maybe a long shot, but wouldn't that be nice?

Most of us are eager to see Gilead fall. We know it WILL fall, we don't know how or when. Would be fun to be at the beginning of that at least.

And in the meantime, a nice break for Emily who has gone through worse than most handmaids.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2018, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
This role, and his role in Get Out (one of the few things I liked about that movie) are going a long way in helping me to forget that horrible sitcom that he starred in a few years back!!

[CENTER]Save[/CENTER]
I guess I missed that one. I fell in love during West Wing, and have seen him in small movie roles before GET OUT.

Old 07-06-2018, 09:59 AM

5,725 posts, read 11,717,779 times
Quote:
What inconsistencies have there been in season 2?
Stuff like Nick and June cozying up in a public place (the hospital) and how a pregnant handmaid would be allowed to roam around that freely, the Waterford's going to Canada without an entourage of security which gave Serena a chance to defect, the one commander being hauled off based on a forged document allegedly signed by another commander everyone knew was in a coma, Nick somehow slipping away from two guardians who had wounded him without any explanation, returning the colony handmaids to the same neighborhood where they had previously done things worthy of exile, stuff like that. The book and the first season paid much greater attention to making sure that everything fit into the milieu.

I also don't buy Serena being so horrified at Eden's death, even though she now has her baby. There have been bodies swinging in public plenty of times and she didn't bat an eye, and played a big role in making it happen. Seems more like the writers just want to complicate the dynamic between characters.

Old 07-06-2018, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maf763 View Post

I also don't buy Serena being so horrified at Eden's death, even though she now has her baby. There have been bodies swinging in public plenty of times and she didn't bat an eye, and played a big role in making it happen. Seems more like the writers just want to complicate the dynamic between characters.
Eden is a part of her household, of course that would affect her more.

Old 07-06-2018, 10:19 AM

15,546 posts, read 12,024,982 times
Quote:
Stuff like Nick and June cozying up in a public place (the hospital)
They were past the guards in an empty hall, around a corner. It's not like they were sitting in a busy waiting room having sex. Everyone's attention was on keeping Commander Waterford safe, they weren't really concerned about the exact movements of a handmaid with in a guarded, secured area.

Quote:
and how a pregnant handmaid would be allowed to roam around that freely,
When she escaped the hospital? There were people on the inside helping her to escape. Those in charge thought she was secured in a locked hospital room.

Quote:
the Waterford's going to Canada without an entourage of security which gave Serena a chance to defect,
Was it said their was no security with them? Did you think she should be handcuffed to a man the whole time? They were in a foreign country to talk about how great Gilead was. That message would be lost if Serena was never seen in public or constantly being baby sat by security. That doesn't mean therw weren't still people watching her. Why do you think the American was being discreet, giving her a phone number on a matchbox?

Quote:
the one commander being hauled off based on a forged document allegedly signed by another commander everyone knew was in a coma,
He wasn't in a coma.

Quote:
Nick somehow slipping away from two guardians who had wounded him without any explanation,
He didn't slip away. He was helped by Commander Waterford

Quote:
returning the colony handmaids to the same neighborhood where they had previously done things worthy of exile, stuff like that.
It shows the cracks in Gilead, how their way of life doesn't have a long term plan. They had to bring back handmaids because they didn't have anyone else to replace those who died. They were punished by being sent to the colonies, and would hopefully behave out of fear of going back their.

Quote:
The book and the first season paid much greater attention to making sure that everything fit into the milieu.
Or maybe you're just not paying close attention to the show thus season and are missing some of the details.

Quote:
Eden wasn't some stranger on the wall. She was part of Serena's household. Serena spent everyday with Eden, and had gotten to know her very well.

Old 07-06-2018, 01:21 PM

5,725 posts, read 11,717,779 times
It's not that I'm missing details, it's that the details don't necessarily add up the way they did in season 1. But since this isn't Gilead, we can disagree.

Old 07-06-2018, 03:19 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,310,566 times
Quote:
They were past the guards in an empty hall, around a corner. It's not like they were sitting in a busy waiting room having sex. Everyone's attention was on keeping Commander Waterford safe, they weren't really concerned about the exact movements of a handmaid with in a guarded, secured area.

When she escaped the hospital? There were people on the inside helping her to escape. Those in charge thought she was secured in a locked hospital room.

Was it said their was no security with them? Did you think she should be handcuffed to a man the whole time? They were in a foreign country to talk about how great Gilead was. That message would be lost if Serena was never seen in public or constantly being baby sat by security. That doesn't mean therw weren't still people watching her. Why do you think the American was being discreet, giving her a phone number on a matchbox?

He wasn't in a coma.

He didn't slip away. He was helped by Commander Waterford

It shows the cracks in Gilead, how their way of life doesn't have a long term plan. They had to bring back handmaids because they didn't have anyone else to replace those who died. They were punished by being sent to the colonies, and would hopefully behave out of fear of going back their.

Or maybe you're just not paying close attention to the show thus season and are missing some of the details.

Eden wasn't some stranger on the wall. She was part of Serena's household. Serena spent everyday with Eden, and had gotten to know her very well.
Excellent response!

Old 07-06-2018, 06:04 PM

15,966 posts, read 7,032,343 times
Quote:
It's not that I'm missing details, it's that the details don't necessarily add up the way they did in season 1. But since this isn't Gilead, we can disagree.
I agree Season 1 hewed closely to the book and the plot was tight. Season 2 seems more like they have no idea how to proceed and trying things out on the viewers. Maybe it is writers' block.

Old 07-06-2018, 10:04 PM

16,075 posts, read 21,154,079 times
I will say that I have questions about the whole 'nick gets captured' bit.
Why were the guardians out there at a closed up house to begin with? Were they on patrol or did someone alert them to Nicks presence? If they were suspicious and knew Nicks car didn't belong there, why didn't they also notice multiple sets of tire tracks and footprints in the fresh snow and thoroughly check the house? If this was supposed to be a clandestine meeting with Hannah, were the guardians even aware she had been there, thus accounting for the footprints?

Admittedly I don't always catch all the details, so maybe someone can help me out with an explanation here?
Why did they pick up Nick but not bother to check further when there were signs of other people having been inside the closed up house?

Also if the gunshots from the guardians didn't attract any undue attention, who was June hoping to alert by shooting her gun? Did she have reason to believe the guardians came back and were in the area?

Old 07-07-2018, 02:22 AM

2,661 posts, read 5,472,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
Privacy would also be very important in a household that is rebelling against Gilead.
I agree with your summation. You don't bring someone as rebellious as Emily into your house if you are trying to keep dirty laundry hidden. I think he likes that Emily is that way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV