Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2018, 08:52 AM

2,837 posts, read 2,712,777 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresFanInSA View Post
Anyone who paid attention to the business side of that show over its run knows it didnt get a bum rap. It is easy to apply politics to it though so that narrative will never die.
Anyone who paid attention to the obvious side of that show knows it had a huge following when it was dropped. No need to apply politics to observe that fact.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2018, 09:02 AM

666 posts, read 518,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craig11152 View Post
I am going to assume the definition of "bum rap" as "didn't last as long as I wanted it to"
Why would you assume that, when my OP was about shows that were originally loved and lasted a long time but then earned a bad reputation over time because of backlash, changing times or some other reason?

Maybe I had better give some more examples of what I mean:

Amos and Andy. I didn't actually watch the show, but from what I heard, it was no different from The Honeymooners or some other show with slapstick comedy, but it's been seen as a racist show.

Old 01-16-2018, 09:17 AM

2,222 posts, read 2,275,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastFlatbush View Post
Why would you assume that, when my OP was about shows that were originally loved and lasted a long time but then earned a bad reputation over time because of backlash, changing times or some other reason?
Then just ignore it. I could delete it but then it would leave your retort hanging.

Old 01-16-2018, 09:38 AM

8,239 posts, read 10,771,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the searchers View Post
Anyone who paid attention to the obvious side of that show knows it had a huge following when it was dropped. No need to apply politics to observe that fact.
That's just it. It didnt have a "huge" following. It had decent ratings (5mil/episode) yes but not for the price tag. See, people never look past the ratings. "oh it performed well so it should have been renewed" It isnt that simple. Tim Allen's salary was going up (upwards of $400K by the end). Licensing fees were going up. Every single year the show's renewal came down to the wire because of licensing negotiations. Very simply the show was getting more and more expensive to produce. It was getting to the point where it wasnt profitable.

It's easy to blame the politics but the people doing that fail to realize that the show was VERY anti-liberal from the beginning. The show was literally an Obama/Hillary bashfest. If ABC were going to cancel it for the politics they had plenty of chances to do that.

Now I will agree it should have gone on longer. It was one of my favorite shows but I understand why it had to be canceled

Old 01-16-2018, 10:09 AM

4,466 posts, read 1,623,626 times
Quote:
That's just it. It didnt have a "huge" following. It had decent ratings (5mil/episode) yes but not for the price tag. See, people never look past the ratings. "oh it performed well so it should have been renewed" It isnt that simple. Tim Allen's salary was going up (upwards of $400K by the end). Licensing fees were going up. Every single year the show's renewal came down to the wire because of licensing negotiations. Very simply the show was getting more and more expensive to produce. It was getting to the point where it wasnt profitable.

It's easy to blame the politics but the people doing that fail to realize that the show was VERY anti-liberal from the beginning. The show was literally an Obama/Hillary bashfest. If ABC were going to cancel it for the politics they had plenty of chances to do that.

Now I will agree it should have gone on longer. It was one of my favorite shows but I understand why it had to be canceled
Also, whether we agree or not, they look at the demographics the show attracts as well. This show was overwhelmingly older people watching. Networks are looking for that younger demo. Advertisers aren't going to spend a bunch of money advertising to people over 50, as they are much less likely to change what they buy, or buy something new. ABC also didn't own the show, which means things like syndication and reruns mean nothing to them, making ad revenue the most important thing for them, and with an older audience, it wasn't sufficient. Add that to Tim Allen wanting more money, and a well performing Friday show doesn't get renewed. If it were up for awards every year or something it would have. But it wasn't.

Old 01-16-2018, 10:34 AM

2,222 posts, read 2,275,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImissThe90's View Post
Also, whether we agree or not, they look at the demographics the show attracts as well. This show was overwhelmingly older people watching. Networks are looking for that younger demo.
They do have a somewhat different expectation for Friday nights however. Part of the problem with that show was its Friday night placement. It got too expensive for a Friday show when audiences are smaller, older AND commercial time is cheaper.

Old 01-16-2018, 10:47 AM

5,444 posts, read 7,040,155 times
Quote:

Also, I believe the show was owned by Fox so if it was truly a cash cow and dropped for 'political reasons', Fox themselves would have aired it.

Old 01-16-2018, 10:58 AM

1,584 posts, read 991,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastFlatbush View Post
Maybe I had better give some more examples of what I mean:

Amos and Andy. I didn't actually watch the show, but from what I heard, it was no different from The Honeymooners or some other show with slapstick comedy, but it's been seen as a racist show.
I saw episodes of it many years ago. Let's just say it does not age well, and there's a reason for the perception.

Old 01-16-2018, 11:05 AM

5,485 posts, read 4,131,301 times
I have to agree with the OP on Benny Hill. I love that show and don't find it offensive. I also liked "The Man Show" and
"The Red Green Show" although as a feminist I should be upset that they are so male-centered. I don't care, funny is funny.

Old 01-16-2018, 04:28 PM

666 posts, read 518,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTsnowbird View Post
I have to agree with the OP on Benny Hill. I love that show and don't find it offensive. I also liked "The Man Show" and
"The Red Green Show" although as a feminist I should be upset that they are so male-centered. I don't care, funny is funny.
I never found the show offensive as a "sexist" show. The only thing I found "bad" about the so-called "sexist" parts was how dated/cheesy it was, like 1940s cheesecake. It still had women prancing around in fishnets and garters in the 1980s, LOL. I didn't find the racial aspects offensive, either. Benny Hill just seemed to enjoy playing all kinds of characters from different ethnicities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV