Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2018, 07:28 AM

11,765 posts, read 14,726,951 times

Advertisements

I don't understand what people mean when they say WKRP got a bum rap. Just about everyone I know who ever watched it thinks it was great, and it is widely considered a comedy classic. In addition to that, everybody in radio loves it. It's like the "Barney Miller" of the radio industry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2018, 08:08 AM

1,584 posts, read 991,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
I don't understand what people mean when they say WKRP got a bum rap. Just about everyone I know who ever watched it thinks it was great, and it is widely considered a comedy classic. In addition to that, everybody in radio loves it. It's like the "Barney Miller" of the radio industry.
SabresFan got it right. They constantly fiddled with the show's time slot, sometimes placing it against tough competition or burying it in an off time. It's hard to have a show keep momentum when treated like this, and it lasted only four seasons when it clearly was good enough to have a longer run. "Futurama" was treated similarly.

It's a shame given how good the show was.

Old 01-23-2018, 08:42 AM

18,774 posts, read 18,288,433 times
I loved Grimm and felt that it was quickly removed without enough time for a proper ending. But, more than Grimm and more than Star Trek; I really loved the original Star Gate SG1. They had great scripts, great cast and great writers and the story could literally take us anyplace. The spin offs were not as good. I miss good science fiction.

Old 01-23-2018, 09:17 AM

666 posts, read 518,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
You're right. It was an incredibly popular show. People are just interpreting "bum rap" to mean anything from "show that was treated unfairly" to "show I just want to talk about." So I give up.

Old 01-23-2018, 09:39 AM

15,640 posts, read 9,316,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
Star Trek might not have gotten a bum rap per se', but AFAIC the network really screwed up by pulling the plug on it. Look at what that tv series grew into, the movies with the original cast--"The Next Generation", "Voyager", etc., etc. And the recent Star Trek movies are great!
Star Trek was really ahead of its time. It really picked up a cult following in reruns. But the original run was a disaster. I watched first run episodes of Star Trek when I was in the first grade. I liked it because it was about space, and I liked space. My family watched it too, but I don't think they were really excited about it. Lost in Space was way more popular than Star Trek at that time. After Star Trek went off the air, I pretty much forgot about it, until I was in junior high school. At that time Star Trek reruns were on a cable TV channel where we lived. Unfortunately my parents didn't have cable TV, so I couldn't watch it at home. But my school friends were all really into it at that time, so I would go and watch it at their houses after school, whenever possible. I remember being amazed that it was so popular at that time, when nobody seemed to even care about it the first time it was on.

Old 01-23-2018, 11:03 AM

11,765 posts, read 14,726,951 times
If anyone starts a thread on the most overrated shows of all time the original Star Trek should rocket (heh) to the head of the list. The acting was terrible, the writing was terrible, the production values were terrible. I would say it was a good idea for a show rather than a good show.

Old 01-23-2018, 03:53 PM

8,239 posts, read 10,771,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastFlatbush View Post
You're right. It was an incredibly popular show. People are just interpreting "bum rap" to mean anything from "show that was treated unfairly" to "show I just want to talk about." So I give up.
Except that I explained why/how it got a bum rap. Also if it was "incredibly popular" why was it canceled at the end of season 4 on a cliffhanger? Because it got a bum rap, maybe?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV