Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2018, 09:31 PM

11,638 posts, read 12,709,490 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
wow I don't think they should do any of this . we are boycotting abc plain and simple I'm sorry but they allow anyone to say anything on that crappy show the view and and now they axe Roseanne off the show sorry but let it go and I'm sure these other folks can find other work .
Hmmm. I don't think so. Not for the grips, the lighting crew, the carpenters, the technical support, the assistant editors, the interns. Show Biz is very unsteady and if you get to work on a hit show, you've really hit the lottery. It also opens the doors to other successful shows. Can you imagine being an intern and putting this show on your resume?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2018, 10:05 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,454,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
The "family" are all GROWN ADULTS. Why are they such losers that they keep coming back to the nest?
Have you watched the show? Because that’s not what’s happened.

Last edited by Minervah; 05-31-2018 at 10:33 PM..

Old 05-31-2018, 10:32 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,454,370 times
I wonder, just throwing it out there. I am all for firing Barr from the show, she deserves it. But dumping the entire show? Why should her coworkers suffer because she’s a racist jerk. How many here would think it fair if they lost their jobs because one of their coworkers was so out of line? A successful show provides a living for many people who do not think along hateful lines. Why should they be punished?

This show did not push bigotry or any one particular political point of view. It was just one person connected with the show spouting off her bigotry on Social Media. If this happened at any other workplace the offensive person would be fired but the entire department would not be shut down.

Old 05-31-2018, 10:58 PM

50,826 posts, read 24,335,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
I wonder, just throwing it out there. I am all for firing Barr from the show, she deserves it. But dumping the entire show? Why should her coworkers suffer because she’s a racist jerk. How many here would think it fair if they lost their jobs because one of their coworkers was so out of line? A successful show provides a living for many people who do not think along hateful lines. Why should they be punished?

This show did not push bigotry or any one particular political point of view. It was just one person connected with the show spouting off her bigotry on Social Media. If this happened at any other workplace the offensive person would be fired but the entire department would not be shut down.
I think you're kinda missing an important point. What was the name of the show???

Old 05-31-2018, 11:15 PM

3,532 posts, read 3,023,028 times
It doesn't work without Roseanne. The heart of the show is her marriage to Dan. ABC shouldn't have been so rushed to cancel her. Big whoop, she said something terrible. Wake up, everyday people are talking rude about Obama, Trump, Clinton and their associates,etc. It's white noise. How about letting people decide with their remotes?
I think Roseanne is bananas but I love the show and I think it's ridiculous that it's over. Lynch mob mentality.

Old 06-01-2018, 03:51 AM

11,792 posts, read 5,798,330 times
Quote:

In a real world yes - but we don't live in a real world any longer - we live in a liberal PC world where they decide who will be forgiven and who will be ostracized.

I've never liked Barr as a person - but I liked the show in the earlier years and I liked the reboot. If they bring it back without her - will I watch it - no - just due to other liberals doing some pretty disgusting things as well as making racist remarks and being given a pass because they are part of the establishment.

Old 06-01-2018, 05:24 AM

8,676 posts, read 22,922,371 times
Quote:

The advertisers paid for Barr. All commercial time would have to be renegotiated. This is about saving face and money.

Old 06-01-2018, 05:39 AM

50,378 posts, read 63,993,273 times
I doubt if I would watch it without Roseanne. She was the show for me.

Old 06-02-2018, 12:12 AM

18,102 posts, read 15,676,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
The show was her idea, her characters. IMO, not fair to go on without her.
According to the Wiki article (and other articles), the show and it's basic premise was the idea of the production team Marcy Carsey and Tom Werner of Carsey-Werner Productions, who own the show to this day, and the show was created and written by Matt Williams. It was always intended to be an ensemble show. Roseanne did not create the show, did not create the characters, and she did not write the scripts.

She was cast in the show just like the other actors were cast in the show.

Carsey Werner had seen Roseanne on the Tonight Show and saw her standup show and thought she might be able to transform herself into the working class heroine in the show, since she had her "domestic goddess" schtick going in her comedy act. The show was originally scripted to be called "Life and Stuff," according to its creator, head writer and co-executive producer, Matt Williams.

Roseanne eventually insisted the show be renamed for her and made that a condition of her taking on the role. Creative differences with Matt Williams ensued and Williams ended up eventually leaving the show.

Carsey Werner legally owns and controls the show and it's up to them to determine what to do with it, if anything. Carsey Werner sided with ABC on their decision to cancel 'Roseanne' and publicly supported the reason for the cancellation. They went on to issue a statement they hope Roseanne gets the (mental health) help she very much needs.

Sources:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rosean...uction_history
One Big Happy Family? : Why 'Roseanne's' Creator Left Hit Show After Dispute With Its Star - latimes

Last edited by lottamoxie; 06-02-2018 at 12:22 AM..

Old 06-02-2018, 05:38 AM

11,792 posts, read 5,798,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
Me too. The show was her idea, her characters. IMO, not fair to go on without her.

And after their public comments instead of talking to Roseanne themselves, I have a lower opinion of Sara Gilbert and Michael Fishman. Well, a lower opinion of Sara Gilbert. I never did care much for Michael Fishman, not as a kid and not as an adult. They seem like ingrates to me. If not for their roles on Roseanne, neither of them would have any notoriety. It's disappointing to me how quick they were to stab her in the back.
Agreed - except for the person who played Crystal - even Fishman is worth an estimated $8 million. They are scambling to find a way to do a spinoff - but I personally probably won't watch it. I like Dan - but was never a fan of Darlene and don't particularly like her kids. I never liked Metcalf's character on the show.

I came back to watch the show specifically for the Roseanne character. She says the things I'd like to say but don't have the balls to. Dan and she are in a position like myself and many other baby boomers. We find ourselves near retirement with the fears of will we survive on what we've saved, our unfortunate medical problems that come with age ect… To be able to sit back and laugh and know you're not alone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV