Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-31-2018, 12:17 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,474,697 times

Advertisements

I don't understand how the network thought this would work without Rosanne. It would be like firing Abbott and expecting Costello carry on the comedy without him. (Is anyone old enough to know who they are? LOL!)

I never cared for the original low-class, white trash, loud-mouthed Conner family. They complained about their low paying jobs, yet showed no desire or ambition to improve their situations through higher education. Depressing.

Yet lo and behold, the network brings it back. wth? Nothing has changed decades later for the Conner family except the wrinkles of time and a strangely absent wife/mother/sister who carried the original show. Is it any wonder why this show is on the bottom of the ratings chart?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2018, 12:40 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,828,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
I don't understand how the network thought this would work without Rosanne. It would be like firing Abbott and expecting Costello carry on the comedy without him. (Is anyone old enough to know who they are? LOL!)

I never cared for the original low-class, white trash, loud-mouthed Conner family. They complained about their low paying jobs, yet showed no desire or ambition to improve their situations through higher education. Depressing.

Yet lo and behold, the network brings it back. wth? Nothing has changed decades later for the Conner family except the wrinkles of time and a strangely absent wife/mother/sister who carried the original show. Is it any wonder why this show is on the bottom of the ratings chart?

It's not on the bottom of the ratings chart yet. But what's to be gleaned from last night's ratings is that ABC's "silver lining" for this program is dissipating..

Amid the comparison between The Conners and Roseanne, ABC had been looking, instead, at Tuesday night's "block" of programming.

That wasn't so great last night, again, especially considering the hype and appearances hawking the next episode of The Conners. Last night, NBC came out on top for the evening with a 1.7 share in the 18-49 demographic. CBS and ABC came in a DISTANT second (tie), with a .50 share. Moreover, ABC lost the evening in total viewers, coming in third.

These numbers are very interesting, and I'm sure producers and the network have particular specs and goals in mind. It doesn't seem, however, that this program has what they call in the business, legs.

Last edited by Delahanty; 10-31-2018 at 01:15 PM..

Old 10-31-2018, 01:38 PM

8,238 posts, read 10,726,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
It's not on the bottom of the ratings chart yet. But what's to be gleaned from last night's ratings is that ABC's "silver lining" for this program is dissipating..

Amid the comparison between The Conners and Roseanne, ABC had been looking, instead, at Tuesday night's "block" of programming.

That wasn't so great last night, again, especially considering the hype and appearances hawking the next episode of The Conners. Last night, NBC came out on top for the evening with a 1.7 share in the 18-49 demographic. CBS and ABC came in a DISTANT second (tie), with a .50 share. Moreover, ABC lost the evening in total viewers, coming in third.

These numbers are very interesting, and I'm sure producers and the network have particular specs and goals in mind. It doesn't seem, however, that this program has what they call in the business, legs.
The ratings were expected to drop. The question is where they will level off. A 1.8 in today's tv world (for the Halloween episode) is a hit. NBC's This is Us won the night only .3 higher. Really it doesnt matter how the show does against its competition. It matters where it falls in the network's overall schedule. As long as it stays above 1.5 it has several more years before anyone talks cancellation.

And for me, it is just as good as it was in the past even without Roseanne

Old 10-31-2018, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
I
except that it isnt

Old 10-31-2018, 01:44 PM

17,587 posts, read 15,259,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senior7 View Post
I'm guessing john Goodman looks worse in real life now than on TV , it's called getting older , happens to,the best of us

I've actually seen him on some TMZ videos and the like.. He actually looks BETTER in real life. He seems to be looking better as we go through the season as well. I wonder if they made him up to look haggard in the first episode intentionally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
I've been watching this show out of curiosity mostly and it's 'okay'. I do miss Roseanne though.

Darlene's son is getting 'tiresome'. Every week there's this big issue with him. And I'm starting to think that they are setting up the Becky character to be deemed alcoholic who will, eventually, need intervention and rehab. I suppose they could get a significant number of shows out of that but I don't particularly want to see it. I'd rather see SOME progress and 'good stuff' in the show. But maybe that's not what it's supposed to be.

Well, they have to get conflict from somewhere now that Roseanne is gone. I don't overly mind his character, the daughter I want to hit with a stick, tho.

I've discussed the Becky thing before.. She *IS* and alcoholic who needs rehab. I'm sort of offended by how they're glossing it over for laughs.

but, I totally agree with your first line there. It's not the most horrible thing I've ever seen, but it isn't overly good and I think it's mainly because the main source of conflict (and comedy) has been removed.

Quote:

I'm seeing ratings all over the place for this.. Not so far as the numbers, but the interpretation of them.

I'm showing that the Conners pulled basically the same, up .1 from last week, with a 1.8/8 and 7.7 total viewers

It's the best show ABC has on Tuesday night.. Which.. Isn't saying a whole lot. "The Kids are Alright" lost about 25% of the viewers, Blackish lost another 10% from that, and Splitting up Together was down another 15% on top of that.

The Rookie was down again so far as the ratings, but up from Splitting up Together on total viewers, likely due to it skewing older.

The Conners was the #3 show based on total viewers, but #2 based on 18-49.

Old 10-31-2018, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
I've actually seen him on some TMZ videos and the like.. He actually looks BETTER in real life. He seems to be looking better as we go through the season as well. I wonder if they made him up to look haggard in the first episode intentionally.

Well, they have to get conflict from somewhere now that Roseanne is gone. I don't overly mind his character, the daughter I want to hit with a stick, tho.

I've discussed the Becky thing before.. She *IS* and alcoholic who needs rehab. I'm sort of offended by how they're glossing it over for laughs.

but, I totally agree with your first line there. It's not the most horrible thing I've ever seen, but it isn't overly good and I think it's mainly because the main source of conflict (and comedy) has been removed.

I'm seeing ratings all over the place for this.. Not so far as the numbers, but the interpretation of them.

I'm showing that the Conners pulled basically the same, up .1 from last week, with a 1.8/8 and 7.7 total viewers

It's the best show ABC has on Tuesday night.. Which.. Isn't saying a whole lot. "The Kids are Alright" lost about 25% of the viewers, Blackish lost another 10% from that, and Splitting up Together was down another 15% on top of that.

The Rookie was down again so far as the ratings, but up from Splitting up Together on total viewers, likely due to it skewing older.

The Conners was the #3 show based on total viewers, but #2 based on 18-49.
The one thing I think people miss is that this isnt the days of 3-4 channels anyore. Shows dont get a 20 rating. Nowadays really anything over a 1.0 gets you renewed unless that number is the worst rated show on your network. If you are the bottom of the totem pole on a network you get axed. Of course there are always exceptions and a lot of things that can factor in. That said and as I mentioned above a 1.8 or even a 1.7 is perfectly fine for a network tv show.

Old 10-31-2018, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresFanInSA View Post
The one thing I think people miss is that this isnt the days of 3-4 channels anyore. Shows dont get a 20 rating. Nowadays really anything over a 1.0 gets you renewed unless that number is the worst rated show on your network. If you are the bottom of the totem pole on a network you get axed. Of course there are always exceptions and a lot of things that can factor in. That said and as I mentioned above a 1.8 or even a 1.7 is perfectly fine for a network tv show.

Depends.. Not disagreeing with you, and in fact, guess I am agreeing more than anything when we factor in the exceptions. I'd just point out that the exceptions can be huge.

The Conners likely has a higher payroll than other series. Goodman and Metcalf likely command fairly high salaries and then you have many ancillary characters, which means, the numbers have to be higher to keep it around. This is one of the reasons as I talked about in another topic a while back that America's Funniest Home Videos is still on the air. It's a massively low-cost show. They're paying Alfonso Riberio a salary, paying a grand prize, some producers and camera operators and staff and that's about it. So, while that show is pulling a fairly paltry rating on Sunday nights of about a 1.0 with 4.5 million viewers or so.. I'm sure that they're making a pretty penny off it.

Last Man Standing is likely fairly representative.. It had a fairly large payroll going to Tim Allen, at least, and it was axed with a 1.1 and 8 million viewers. Another show that obviously skewed older.

The Conners does have this going for it.. It's the lead-in, and what's below it isn't holding, or beating it. That's the death knell.. If that "Kids are Alright" was INCREASING viewership over The Conners.. The Conners would be heading for the scrap heap.

I'd say it's probably on the bubble, but more on the safe side of the bubble. At the moment. That can change very, very quickly.

Old 10-31-2018, 02:23 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,828,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresFanInSA View Post

"Perfectly fine" is not only very tepid, but it's not going to cut it in the long run, especially if a program is in a downward slide--which The Conners is, in viewers.

Old 10-31-2018, 03:02 PM

2,985 posts, read 1,749,653 times
Default Ratings: “The Conners” Beaten By Everything, Drops in Total Viewers and Demo as ABC Orders Only 1 More Episode

One more episode...hahaha!

Glad to see the "elite" execs at abc fail miserably for their kneejerk reaction.

https://www.showbiz411.com/2018/10/3...1-more-episode

Old 10-31-2018, 03:05 PM

Quote:
"Perfectly fine" is not only very tepid, but it's not going to cut it in the long run, especially if a program is in a downward slide--which The Conners is, in viewers.

EVERY show is generally on a downward slide in the ratings.

You have a handful.. Cheers, Seinfeld and Friends, I believe are three shows that didn't start off well, then had their ratings rise up, then start the 'normal' decline process again.

Most famously, would be Breaking Bad which just kept climbing throughout its run. That is an anomaly.

If the Conners maintains where it is now.. It might get a second season. I think it's quite telling that ABC hasn't pulled out the quick renewal on it. They want to see where it is after episode 9 or so.

And that single episode order.. I'm still questioning that.. It's just strange. Adding ONE episode.. I can't get past the feeling that may have been done to give them a farewell episode.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV