Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2019, 06:42 AM

9,913 posts, read 9,600,737 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
That's real life. People age. Kids grow up. I liked it better when I was young and my kids were cute and adorable, but time marches on.

I have always liked Jackie's character, in the old show, in the Roseanne reboot, and now.
Of course they are going to look their age now, but when the show was the original, actors are carefully chosen for their appearance, and they look the part.

Now that they are aged, they look like way different people and dont fit the part.. I dont know if you know what i mean or if i can explain this. When a sitcom looks for people their age, they have a certain look. If this were a new show, i dont thin these actors would be chosen, they look too "real life" or something. But since they are the original characters, then they are shown as they are.

Now that Im thinking out loud here, the new characters they have introduced, are kinda cute at times and sometimes strange. That little boy who is playing a transgender - i like that they toned down his dress-wearing and now he is pretty likable. I had to get used to this new character. It seems like they put him on for social justice warrior stuff (the dress wearing). I suppose i dont like sjw stuff so blatantly in my face, when i come here to watch a rather fun show.. and when Roseann (the actress) was on, they did some social issues but it was not so heavy like it is now.

I think that one of the boyfriends died in real life (Mark?).. that's sad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2019, 10:33 AM

8,238 posts, read 10,731,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoMeO View Post
Of course they are going to look their age now, but when the show was the original, actors are carefully chosen for their appearance, and they look the part.

Now that they are aged, they look like way different people and dont fit the part.. I dont know if you know what i mean or if i can explain this. When a sitcom looks for people their age, they have a certain look. If this were a new show, i dont thin these actors would be chosen, they look too "real life" or something. But since they are the original characters, then they are shown as they are.

Now that Im thinking out loud here, the new characters they have introduced, are kinda cute at times and sometimes strange. That little boy who is playing a transgender - i like that they toned down his dress-wearing and now he is pretty likable. I had to get used to this new character. It seems like they put him on for social justice warrior stuff (the dress wearing). I suppose i dont like sjw stuff so blatantly in my face, when i come here to watch a rather fun show.. and when Roseann (the actress) was on, they did some social issues but it was not so heavy like it is now.

I think that one of the boyfriends died in real life (Mark?).. that's sad.
Glen Quinn. He was the original Mark and passed away in 2002 due to an OD. Aames McNamara's character is named Mark as an homage to him

Old 11-24-2019, 12:34 PM

10,033 posts, read 9,513,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Agree all the way around. And.. Honestly, I don't find that much difference in the.. 'layout' of the drama vs the comedy between the two. I agree that there is a difference, but I just don't see it as huge. Roseanne, as we've agreed, dealt with heavy issues.. I think it's just.. Roseanne was such a big comedy presence, the lines don't have as much impact coming from a different character.

I mean, when Dan had the conversation with Jackie after the fight.. Imagine Roseanne having that conversation. She'd have thrown a pause in there when Jackie asked if she really was an albatross to her and it'd have been really funny.

There's no question that the show misses her. But it also explores an entire dynamic that you can't show WITH her.

I'd like to see her back just to restore some of my faith in humanity that we still believe that while people make mistakes, we eventually forgive. I fully believe that Roseanne's statements, while they did come from a place of hate.. it was from a place of political hate, not racism. And, yes, I do pretty much believe if the hate had gone the other direction on the political spectrum, things would not have blown up like they did, or at least they would have blown over.

Of course.. About 15 years ago, my grandmother was about 87 or so and she was getting to the point where her mind was going a bit. Not horribly or anything, but.. You could tell.. After she had cataract surgery, I decided to take her out to something a little special, something she had never done before.. So, I took her to a Japanese Steakhouse.. You know, hibachi stuff, the onion volcano and all that. When I mentioned that it was a Japanese steakhouse.. She started talking about how the Japanese killed her brother in WWII. That was.. Uncomfortable. Thought I was in a scene from Faulty Towers or something when I blurted out "Don't talk about the war!"

And I totally agree as well that most of the characters have little to no sympathetic value, outside of Dan.

Jackie.. Lord.. She's just messed up
Darlene is hateful and not a good person at all
Becky.. there's so much there to be sympathetic about, but she blows it.
DJ, wait is he still on the show? I know he is, but he's just there because he was on the original.

Dan has to put up with all of them. He's the only real character I have sympathy for. And the two younger kids, having to grow up in that mess.
Agree 100%. I lol also add that Darlene is not only a miserable person on camera, but also seems like a real POS in real life.

Last edited by VLWH; 11-24-2019 at 01:48 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV