Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2019, 11:27 AM

9,352 posts, read 20,030,698 times

Advertisements

we will be cutting the cord as soon as the crazy ridiculous contract is up.....

For those counting up how much you save every month over cable/satellite, are you including the cost of the internet AND the cost of the programming?? Because I can see that adding up pretty quickly to be close to what we are paying now......

I am already an Amazon Prime member and we have started a NF subscription that we both really like.... the only other we are thinking of adding is YouTube tv......

I am just concerned about negotiating an "internet ONLY" deal from one of the providers......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2019, 11:44 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,703,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latetotheparty View Post
we will be cutting the cord as soon as the crazy ridiculous contract is up.....

For those counting up how much you save every month over cable/satellite, are you including the cost of the internet AND the cost of the programming?? Because I can see that adding up pretty quickly to be close to what we are paying now......

I am already an Amazon Prime member and we have started a NF subscription that we both really like.... the only other we are thinking of adding is YouTube tv......

I am just concerned about negotiating an "internet ONLY" deal from one of the providers......
Absolutely.
It’s definitely less per month than what I was paying, particularly since I was already subscribed to several streaming services in addition to cable.
Also, all of my subscriptions are monthly so if I do want to spend (even) less any given month, I can just suspend them without penalty.

I know every area is different, but I didn’t (have to) negotiate an internet-only deal. Comcast offers internet only as a standard option in my area so after a bit of fact-finding, including a chat session with one of their reps during which time I got quotes for internet-only service, once I decided to do it, it was simply a matter of calling them and telling them I wanted to downgrade.
Didn’t get any pushback from them at all.

Old 03-22-2019, 08:52 PM

255 posts, read 69,303 times
Considering the fact that you got no pushback when you downgraded your service, how often does THAT happen? Most cable companies these days are fixated on keeping their cutomers and doing whatever it takes to keep them.

Old 03-22-2019, 09:14 PM

26,655 posts, read 28,682,916 times
Since Comcast in my area charges only a few $$ less for internet only, I have called the only competitor, Frontier. They have stand alone internet but it's slow. I think they said 24 MB. But they only charge $30.

I have an OTA antenna and also Brit Box. That would mean around $37/month as opposed to almost $100 for useless Comcast cable when we only want their internet.

I want to get Alexa for music though. This is getting too complicated!!!!!!!! Maybe I'll get Hulu too. Even if I could pay what I have been paying for Comcast, at least I would have programs to watch instead of junk.

Old 03-22-2019, 10:09 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,581,692 times
If one has Comcast, one doesn't need to have the intermediary of Roku, Apple TV, or a Firestick because Comcast now offers Amazon Prime and Netflix. (and YouTube) I've been watching lots of movies on Amazon Prime.

I agree about all the educational programs available using cable.....about environmental issues especially.

And I'm very interested in world affairs, international issues, government, and politics - and greatly enjoy MSNBC and CNN. And if one likes watching major figure skating competitions and snow skiing it's great to have NBCSN (NBC Sports Network) and Olympics Channel.

I prefer to have the 200+ TV channels, the very fast very reliable internet, and free landline/free phone service (fabulous reception for talking as opposed to lousy reception and difficulty of enjoying a long conversation on cellphones because of fading in and out) - all of which Comcast provides with great ease, plus ease of recording shows (up to 6 simultaneously) for watching later, storing huge amounts of programs, and on-demand episodes of everything for free.

Last edited by matisse12; 03-22-2019 at 10:31 PM..

Old 03-22-2019, 11:52 PM

26,655 posts, read 28,682,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
If one has Comcast, one doesn't need to have the intermediary of Roku, Apple TV, or a Firestick because Comcast now offers Amazon Prime and Netflix. (and YouTube) I've been watching lots of movies on Amazon Prime.

I agree about all the educational programs available using cable.....about environmental issues especially.

And I'm very interested in world affairs, international issues, government, and politics - and greatly enjoy MSNBC and CNN. And if one likes watching major figure skating competitions and snow skiing it's great to have NBCSN (NBC Sports Network) and Olympics Channel.

I prefer to have the 200+ TV channels, the very fast very reliable internet, and free landline/free phone service (fabulous reception for talking as opposed to lousy reception and difficulty of enjoying a long conversation on cellphones because of fading in and out) - all of which Comcast provides with great ease, plus ease of recording shows (up to 6 simultaneously) for watching later, storing huge amounts of programs, and on-demand episodes of everything for free.
Now I'm really confused. Comcast offers Amazon Prime and Netflix?

It still would be a lot of money--about $100 for (cable + internet) + Amazon or Netflix. And the only thing we watch is Brit Box which is another $7.

I don't record any shows as they are available on Brit Box whenever I want them. I don't watch sports and am sick of politics. What I dislike about getting rid of Comcast is that Frontier won't let us use our own router. They won't charge us for theirs, but ours will go to waste.

Old 03-23-2019, 12:40 AM

8,238 posts, read 6,581,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post

Now I'm really confused. Comcast offers Amazon Prime and Netflix?

It still would be a lot of money--about $100 for (cable + internet) + Amazon or Netflix. And the only thing we watch is Brit Box which is another $7.
One needs to be an Amazon Prime member to watch the movies and TV shows offered by Amazon Prime, and one needs to have a Netflix subscription - but instead of needing Roku, Firestick, Apple TV, or Chromecast to use as an intermediary conduit to enable watching Amazon Prime or Netflix on one's large TV screen (rather than on one's computer, tablet, or phone) Comcast Xfinity now has Amazon Prime and Netflix (and YouTube) available like regular channels on the large TV screen.

I had to watch Amazon Prime movies on my small laptop computer screen until a couple months ago when Comcast Xfinity started offering Amazon Prime availability on the large TV screen so movies are much more enjoyable on the large TV screen. (I didn't have Roku, Firestick, or Apple TV)

Fast speedy internet is not cheap so my getting it as part of Comcast Xfinity is advantageous and reliable.

I love Amazon Prime's huge array of films offered, including tons of foreign language films, and also films created for Amazon.

Old 03-23-2019, 01:34 AM

735 posts, read 1,170,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post

I share the same mindset. I am a Verizon FiOS customer and experimented last year with the so called cable killers (Sling tv, Playstation Vue, Directv Now) to see what the hullabaloo was about.

You know what? I still prefer the bloated cable package. There will come a time when you want to watch some show on a channel you don't subscribe to or can't get on one of the cable killers. It has happened to me more than once.

Also recently some of the cable killers have started behaving exactly like the cable monopolies they are trying to usurp. Directv Now Had a price increase and ended a lot of their promotions last summer/fall. Now they are jacking their prices again and dropping channels. Guess what I am DROPPING April 1st?

Old 03-23-2019, 06:45 AM

9,096 posts, read 6,317,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Since Comcast in my area charges only a few $$ less for internet only, I have called the only competitor, Frontier. They have stand alone internet but it's slow. I think they said 24 MB. But they only charge $30.
24MB/s could handle 4K video streaming. I would not consider it slow unless an entire family had to use that bandwidth. I would jump at that deal at only $30/mo but I am single.

Old 03-23-2019, 06:56 AM

4,344 posts, read 2,232,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv201 View Post
Considering the fact that you got no pushback when you downgraded your service, how often does THAT happen? Most cable companies these days are fixated on keeping their cutomers and doing whatever it takes to keep them.
Wha????

That hasn't been our experience.

Several times when our rates have crept up or Wrecktum decides to steal channels away and reassign them to a different tier that we'd have to pay more to get them back - we have called and been bumped around by service operators only to be told 'oh well, that's the way it is and there's nothing we can do about it."

So, that's how we were treated after being 25 year customers. Meanwhile, joe nooby gets the discounted new membership deal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV