Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-18-2009, 07:06 PM

3,791 posts, read 8,907,748 times

Advertisements

WAHHH!!! There's swearing on tv...WAHHHH!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2009, 07:47 PM

5,765 posts, read 11,008,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Sadly this has been going on on FX for a couple of years. I do not understand why cable channels apparently get to play by different rules than the networks do.

I first got upset about this two summers ago when I was channeling flipping and came across Eddie Murphy's "Raw" on either FX or Comedy Channel completely uncensored Every other word is the F word, not to mention his content was so raunchy! Now, don't get me wrong - that was one funny show! BUT, where are our standards anymore?? Do we really want young kids to have access to this kind of adult content - NO. Media like this is at the heart of many of our social issues right now and it's disgusting.

Disgusting? They're words. It's reality. People use swear words every single day in all places.

I suppose you are okay with shows like CSI are on at the earliest prime time slot showing dead bodies and bloody crime scenes.

I would much rather my child hear a swear word than view the violence and gore that is shown on network TV.

If you dont like swearing, change the channel.

Media like this has nothing to do with our social issues. Our supposed news networks like Fox, CNN, etc do far more damage to our society than a TV show like Sons of Anarchy.

I think maybe you should go live in a convent and be sheltered and let us adults live in a world where we can choose what we want to watch.

Old 11-18-2009, 07:58 PM

3,062 posts, read 7,042,180 times
Worse than the swearing is all the cigarette smoking. I don't want to have to see that.

Old 11-18-2009, 08:00 PM

3,885 posts, read 8,127,520 times
Great episode last night. I wasn't expecting the Tig, Gemma, Opie drama to play out like it did. I was also surprised by the way Opie handled Stahl. "The outlaw showed mercy". Good line.
And then Piney going after Clay. I'm not ready for the season to end.

Old 11-18-2009, 08:06 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,800,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
Disgusting? They're words. It's reality. People use swear words every single day in all places.

I suppose you are okay with shows like CSI are on at the earliest prime time slot showing dead bodies and bloody crime scenes.

I would much rather my child hear a swear word than view the violence and gore that is shown on network TV.

If you dont like swearing, change the channel.

Media like this has nothing to do with our social issues. Our supposed news networks like Fox, CNN, etc do far more damage to our society than a TV show like Sons of Anarchy.

I think maybe you should go live in a convent and be sheltered and let us adults live in a world where we can choose what we want to watch.
YOU may talk like that every day - but I sure don't and neither do the people I associate with

As a matter of fact, the graphic stuff on CSI bothers me tremendously. But here's the problem, you can't always avoid some of this stuff - you could be sitting there watching something you enjoy when boom it ends and goes right into something like CSI, no commercial break, before you can react.

Same thing with channel surfing - it's so easy to just land on something you don't want to see or hear and before you you can flip the channel you've had to see an image of something you really didn't want to see.

And finally, people like you who fail to understand the EXTREME influence media is having on our culture and society are part of the problem sadly.

Old 11-18-2009, 08:21 PM

745 posts, read 1,439,468 times
Quote:
if you don't like the language, change the channel. Your tv.
I did turn it. It just surprised me.... I must have been living in a cave. I watch TV..... this just caught me off guard. Thought I was hearing things. "Did she just say.... ?"

Old 11-18-2009, 08:21 PM

3,791 posts, read 8,907,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
YOU may talk like that every day - but I sure don't and neither do the people I associate with

As a matter of fact, the graphic stuff on CSI bothers me tremendously. But here's the problem, you can't always avoid some of this stuff - you could be sitting there watching something you enjoy when boom it ends and goes right into something like CSI, no commercial break, before you can react.

Same thing with channel surfing - it's so easy to just land on something you don't want to see or hear and before you you can flip the channel you've had to see an image of something you really didn't want to see.

And finally, people like you who fail to understand the EXTREME influence media is having on our culture and society are part of the problem sadly.
Here's an idea...sell your tv.

Old 11-18-2009, 08:28 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,800,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckydad95 View Post
Here's an idea...sell your tv.
No need to throw the baby out with the bath water, and it still has it's value - once you get past the garbage

Old 11-19-2009, 07:06 AM

745 posts, read 1,439,468 times
Quote:
How about neither?

Seeing a good bit of "pro swearing" on this thread (RJRobb, KentuckyDad). Weird. What are you two a couple of Salty dogs cussing away? How can you possibly advocate the use of the words "sh*t" and "p*$$y" on regaular TV? I do not understand that AT ALL.

It is reality? so what? So is violence and sex. Is it not common sense to shelter kids/ teens from this stuff?

That same Sons of Anarchy episode showed this same woman taking it from behind from her husband's friend. I mean..... your telling me a 14/15 year old flipping through the channels should be able to see this?

Old 11-19-2009, 07:11 AM

2,722 posts, read 5,475,128 times
Trust me, a 14 or 15 year old has already seen that and more. Maybe even done it...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV