Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2008, 09:49 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,734,665 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post
seriously, do you have to ask? there's not much flipping going on these days, why encourage it?

I don't get the fascination w/ the type of reality shows that go inside certain families. especially shows that follow massive families like on "17 and counting" and "JK+8". granted, I've never watched them, I'm jst not sure what the appeal is
Is Flip That House the one with Trademark Properties in SC and then all of a sudden it wasn't?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2008, 12:07 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,403,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
Dirty Sexy Money (ABC) Ending after two seasons.
That was a good show.

Quote:
Easy Money (CW) Ending after four episodes.
I was pleasantly surprised by that one. Lauie Metcalf was excellent. And, it was a creative show, guess that doesn't fly when we can have more sur-reality shows.

Quote:
King Of The Hill (FOX) Ending after thirteen seasons.
Why they cancel KotH but keep "winners" like American Dad is mind-boggling.

Quote:
Pushing Daisies (ABC) Ending after two seasons.
Another good show with a creative premise, at least they have DVDs out for season 1 and likely season 2.

Quote:
Rosie O’Donnell Rosie Live Variety Show (NBC) Canceled after one show.
What a travesty that this was canceled! What is NBC thinking???

Old 12-14-2008, 06:02 AM

1,722 posts, read 3,749,508 times
Quote:
Eli Stone (ABC) Ending after two seasons.

Flip That House (TLC) Ending after four seasons.
I don't watch most of the shows on the list but I really like Eli Stone...too bad ABC is cancelling it. On the other hand, Flip That House should have been cancelled a while ago. Once the housing market took a dive, it wasn't as revelant anymore...since houses weren't selling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
Is Flip That House the one with Trademark Properties in SC and then all of a sudden it wasn't?
Yes but I heard there was some problem between the show and Trademark...something about getting other people to do the show in different cities instead of being exclusive. TLC did a new show with Richard and the gang but it didn't last long at all.

Old 12-15-2008, 11:16 PM

396 posts, read 1,276,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzz litebeer View Post
TRL's last season too...
yeah yeah I know, no one cares lol
That's great news!!

Oh, and not all of these shows are being canceled, some are ending because the writers wanted it to end (Battlestar Galactica). Battlestar Galactica is the greatest show ever to grace this Earth, btw. Depressing to not hear any love for it in this topic.

I am definitely miffed about Pushing Daisies. And King of the Hill is being canceled because no one watches it anymore. Most of the people I've talked to have just been like "wait, that show's still on?!"

Old 12-16-2008, 06:37 AM

8,323 posts, read 15,171,483 times
I'm kind of happy as I didn't see Kyle XY on that list...

Old 12-16-2008, 08:52 AM

8,981 posts, read 17,294,566 times
Quote:
King Of The Hill (FOX) Ending after thirteen seasons.
This may be covered in this thread already; but I am too lazy to read through it.

Anyway, I thought another network was picking this show up. Anyone else hear that?

Old 12-18-2008, 01:30 PM

23,867 posts, read 33,568,716 times
Quote:
Dirty Sexy Money (ABC) Ending after two seasons.
I'm really ticked about Dirty Sexy Money. They didn't even give it a chance. If it was on at 9pm I think more people would watch it. Who stays up until 11 these days? We're lucky if we stay up for Private Practice, but the TV is usually on. If the DVR is monitored, they might see PP watched twice with DSM watched once.

I hope someone else picks it up and it becomes a huge hit. I don't like the turn in story line though and feel like they are rushing to wrap things up.

Quote:
The Ex List (CBS) Ending after four episodes. (btw, this show was to replace 'Moonlight', that was canceled after 1 season. Big mistake for CBS.)
Horrible show. I didn't care for her on Grey's & am sure I rolled my eyes when I found out she had her own show. We watched a few episodes but found the story line stupid.

Quote:
Lipstick Jungle (NBC) Ending after two seasons.
I've read this isn't true but who knows? From what I've read, the set hasn't been disassembled but they haven't ordered more shows. I think Brooke Shields should concentrate on raising her kids.

Quote:
'Til Death (FOX) Ending after three seasons.
Actually not a bad show from the few episodes we've seen but it's on when something else we watch is on and we don't watch Fox much except for 24 and Prison Break; which gets DVR'd. Once 24 comes back on, I'm sure we'll sit and watch it verses DVR'ing it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
They can but that's not the ratings that advertisers look at so they are basically irrelevent.

That is what it comes down to. How many people are watching determines how much a company will pay to run a commercial during that show. If the ratings arent there, they either wont advertise or they wont pay much.

Neilsons ratings are what is used by advertisers to set rates.
I went to Nielsen's ratings FAQ about joining them..

The Nielsen Process

How do I become a member of the Nielsen TV sample?
Strictly through chance. We cannot ask every home to participate, so we carefully select a sample of homes in your community to represent the entire TV audience. To be statistically accurate it is essential that our samples be randomly selected. Every household in the United States has a chance of being selected, no matter where it is located.

Inside TV ratings

I'll have to check it out more.

Old 12-18-2008, 03:54 PM

2,318 posts, read 7,846,598 times
Quote:
Battlestar Galactica (SCI) Ending after four seasons.
I love this show... but am happy they are ending it after 4 seasons. Sometimes the best shows are the ones that have a shorter life span and don't contain a bunch of filler. I suspect season 4 to be fantastic since they will be able to answer all questions and give the show a definitive ending.

Old 12-18-2008, 05:31 PM

444 posts, read 1,049,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diertac View Post
I know that TiVo sends data of who is viewing what, because I recalled after the Janet Jackson Superbowl fiasco, TiVo released data on how many millions of people rewound and rewatched the clip.

I imagine any DVR that's connected to a satellite or cable service must have a way of showing what's being watched. I wish that networks would start moving toward that model of deciding what's popular. I mean, think of how granular the data could be! For instance, they could determine:

- Which shows are marked "keep until I delete" after being viewed
- Which shows are viewed multiple times
- Which shows are deleted without ever being viewed
- Which shows are deleted with only partial viewings
- Which scenes in which shows are watched multiple times

There's so much network execs could do with this data to better shape the direction that television's heading. Instead I think that they're choosing to go the lazy, financially cheap route of throwing on reality show after reality show. And they have the nerve to complain that revenues and viewership is down.

You make some very good points. If cable companies did this it would make the ratings more accurate. I also agree that these rality shws ae so annoying and I can't take it anymore. There were couple that I used to watch but not anymore.

Old 12-18-2008, 05:44 PM

444 posts, read 1,049,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by go phillies View Post
King of the Hill is the only show on that list that I care about.

But why is TLC cancelling "Flip that House?" Are they officially turning the station into a 24/7 "Jon and Kate Plus 8" network?

King of the hill was the only on I cared for too! Yes, it does seem as if they are going t make it Jon and Kate Plus 8 Channel. (Unfortunatley) I like some of thr shows on that station. If they get rid of What Not to Wear I will be rally pissed. That is one of my faves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV