Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2011, 05:52 PM

88,544 posts, read 84,738,350 times

Advertisements

When AITF first came on, one of the biggest fans was my grandfather, who dying of cancer. He loved that show. We all snickered behind his back because he WAS Archie Bunker. He told my mother when she was young never to date an Italian because they all sleep with their daughters. He had something to say about the Irish, black people, and Chinese, women, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2011, 06:03 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,003,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
When AITF first came on, one of the biggest fans was my grandfather, who dying of cancer. He loved that show. We all snickered behind his back because he WAS Archie Bunker. He told my mother when she was young never to date an Italian because they all sleep with their daughters. He had something to say about the Irish, black people, and Chinese, women, etc.
It was said here in philly that italian guys sleep with their sisters by a Phillies Manager in 1993 on sports radio-LOL

Old 02-20-2011, 06:30 PM

5,652 posts, read 19,347,608 times
I liked aitf but to me sometimes it was not funny because that was my reality, my dad and grandfather were archie... and very dysfunctional. I am sure I was not alone. Personally I thought Edith's character was the real glue that made that show work.

Old 02-20-2011, 06:33 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,045,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
If you think about it, Archie is not all that different from Homer Simpson; Archie could be nastier, and more prejudiced, but they are similar in many ways...
Not even close.

Old 02-20-2011, 06:35 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,045,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post

Saddest five minutes in TV history.

Old 02-21-2011, 07:41 AM

24,396 posts, read 23,053,611 times
I forgot how sad that scene was. The show was going downhill for a while before that but really tanked after Edith died and Maureen Stapleton left the show.
Archie was many things but he wasn't a bad person, far from it. He was ignorant and bigoted, intolerant, foolish, crotchety, a little thick headed, but not a hateful person. He could learn and could change and showed a good deal of common sense and had some hard gained life experience and wisdom.
He had a perfect match with his son in law Michael. Michael was just as intolerant as Archie was, narrow minded, foolish, easily given to believing whatever liberal ideas were being tossed around even if they were wrong. Idiotic, in short. He was easily upset and angered. He was naive about many things but couldn't see his own shortcomings and thought education was the only way to understand how the world runs or should be run. A classic bleeding heart liberal, and the writers never felt the need to make him grow or be used as a foil the way Archie was. A few episodes had him confronting his own shortcomings but not many. He had a wife who parroted all his same beliefs but eventually lost her. Did Gloria get tired of him or did he get tired of Gloria? I think he probably ended up just as alone as Archie was for a different reason. If I have a lower opinion of Michael its because he had an education and a reasonable amount of intelligence and was still no better than Archie. Archie at least had an excuse, he had to leave school to work.
Edith was the smartest person on that show. She knew to let people have their foibles and to accept them for who they were and that loving someone meant letting them have their way sometimes. She was the only tolerant person in that house and how she handled three erratic selfish people was a testament to how great a human being she was.

Old 02-21-2011, 10:13 AM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,003,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
I forgot how sad that scene was. The show was going downhill for a while before that but really tanked after Edith died and Maureen Stapleton left the show.
Archie was many things but he wasn't a bad person, far from it. He was ignorant and bigoted, intolerant, foolish, crotchety, a little thick headed, but not a hateful person. He could learn and could change and showed a good deal of common sense and had some hard gained life experience and wisdom.
He had a perfect match with his son in law Michael. Michael was just as intolerant as Archie was, narrow minded, foolish, easily given to believing whatever liberal ideas were being tossed around even if they were wrong. Idiotic, in short. He was easily upset and angered. He was naive about many things but couldn't see his own shortcomings and thought education was the only way to understand how the world runs or should be run. A classic bleeding heart liberal, and the writers never felt the need to make him grow or be used as a foil the way Archie was. A few episodes had him confronting his own shortcomings but not many. He had a wife who parroted all his same beliefs but eventually lost her. Did Gloria get tired of him or did he get tired of Gloria? I think he probably ended up just as alone as Archie was for a different reason. If I have a lower opinion of Michael its because he had an education and a reasonable amount of intelligence and was still no better than Archie. Archie at least had an excuse, he had to leave school to work.
Edith was the smartest person on that show. She knew to let people have their foibles and to accept them for who they were and that loving someone meant letting them have their way sometimes. She was the only tolerant person in that house and how she handled three erratic selfish people was a testament to how great a human being she was.

the Edith character didn't die on AITF, she died on Archie Bunker's Place

Old 02-21-2011, 10:17 AM

4,947 posts, read 10,810,844 times
Default Archie Bunker Quotes...

My doctor tells me I got a communications disease.

Holier than thy.

A man's bar is his castle.

East is East and West is West, but none of us is gonna meet Mark Twain (special thanks to Bob for that one).

A woman should cleave into her husband. Right here in this house is where Edith's cleavage belongs.

Look at you, you're white as a goat (special thanks to Dina).

In a pig's dye.

One man's goose is another man's dander.

Like ships that clash in the night.

Just 'cause "there's snow in the basement don't mean there ain't no fire in the roof!"

I got bigger fish to fly.

You want people to think you live in a pig's eye? (pig sty)

Hell hath no fury like a woman's corns.

If everything is good in the henhouse yous don't have to go out for eggs.

He goes through groceries like an earth remover.

Executioner of a will.

It's waddya call, wash your hands (one hand washes the other).

Up there in his ivory shower.

Like a bull into a china closet.

It ain't German to the conversation.

We're gonna strike before the Ivan gets hot.

When the whole neighborhood turns into a smelting pot.

Tell her I ain't crawlin' home to her with my tail between her legs.

Birth patrol pills.

I ain't in no mood to play 120 questions.

What you need is somebody new....there's more than 1 fish in the woodpile.

In the lap of the cards.

Excitement to riot.

Wild hornets couldn't drag me there

Like erl & gasoline, they don't mix.

The dent in his car is hardly cold and he's coming over here to claim his pound of fish.

No taxation without regimentation.

Mike: Tom Farrell paid you to keep quiet! Archie: Ain't ya never heard "silence is gold?"

I don't think he's gonna come Edith. He just ain't got none of that, waddya call, family unconscious.

Grab the bull by the corns.

You're a chimp off the old block.

We better not, ya know, kill our chickens before they cross the road.

I'm gonna keep a beagle-eye on you the whole weekend.

Hangin' around her neck like an albacore.

Ifso fatso

Welcome to our home. And as yous people say "shaboom" (shalom).

No, I think that was when Abraham Lincoln signed the Declaration of Independence. Ya know, "Fourscore and 7 years ago."

New mother...they get a sense of waddya call, "the maternals."

Do you Edith....take Archie Bunker to be your lawfully bedded husband?

Get the hanging dog expression off your face.

I just don't want you to do nothing on the sperm of the moment.

Use a little of your horse's sense.

Like the old adverb "you can lead a gift horse to the water but ya can't look in his mouth."

We're just sweeping dirty dishes under the rug.

Something's rotten in the state of Denver.

What'd ya think, you were gonna pull the wolf over my eyes?

Talking to you is like casting pearls into wine.

You painted us into a corner, then you threw away the key.

And that's the crutch of the situation.

Sleeping dogs bark the loudest.

As the French used to say "the peace of resistance."

Government of the people, by the people, and for the pursuit of happiness.

Up the creek without a saddle.

In the words of Harry S Truman: "If it's too hot in the kitchen, stay away from the cook."

There's an old saying: "Ya don't keep runnin' after you catch the bus."

They said he had neurosis of the liver.

Up the creek in a boat with a hole.

Don't be hollerin' at him, will ya, you'll give him a mental sterosis.

What ya eat ain't got nuttin' to do with how old ya are. That all depends on your ancestors. It's what they call a matter of heresy.

She's loaded with this, waddya call, women's intermission (also used father's).

Your face is a household word.

I'm a man. Men have got another thing....they got waddya call, a carnival instinct.

One good egg in a barrel of rotten apples.

Early in the morning when the crows ****.

"You can't squeeze blood out of a tulip."

Maybe my mind chewed off more than the mind should bite.

Expensive care (true, but intensive).

In New York...****...that's what ya call an ungendered species.

All your friends are gonna be green with envious.

Our marriage vows: till death do us part, for better for worse, in secrets and in health.

Your mother's down there throwing a monkey wrench into the halls of justice.

"Let fightin' dogs lie."

Whoever sent 'em wants to remain unanimous.

These cigars are the nectarines of the gods.

Hanging around my neck like an albacross.

It ain't exactly the Pope diamond.

If that ain't "the Black calling the kettle pot!"

"The bad penny ain't pickin' up no more rollin' moss."

You think I just drove in from Long Island on a load of turnips?

Position is nine-tenths of the law.

A pigment of your imagination.

That's "the straw that broke the camel's neck!"

That's the thing that broke the straw.

Don't be accusing me of taking a bribe. You know what they call that, "definition of character."

Ever hear of the old saying "grass don't grow on a busy street?"

Wouldn't let 'em get in a word wedgewise.

He wants his son to follow in his footprints.

I'm contributing to the, waddya call, on the loosincy of a child.

Ya better keep a civilian tongue in your head.

It's a proven fact that capital punishment is a well-known detergent to crime.

Too long they've been gettin' the short end of the totem pole.

Welfare incipients.

That one kind of grapes on my nerves.

Candlestine romance.

It's too late Edith, my bus has sailed.

Old 02-21-2011, 10:19 AM

One of the BEST NYC shows of all time.
Right up there with Barney Miller, Welcome Back Kotter, and a few others.
NYC 70's show were the best.
{ if u lived in NYC then...otherwise your gonna get lost}

Old 02-21-2011, 10:37 AM

Default blatant racism

But funny....

Nigg _a who???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV