Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-28-2011, 10:27 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,258,599 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-CityRelo View Post
I keep wondering while watching this show; is calling someone garbage the worst thing you can say in NJ? It seems to be a reoccuring theme...
Folks in other states are ok with being called "garbage" by their family members?

Old 05-28-2011, 10:37 PM

4,502 posts, read 13,470,736 times
When I got home this afternoon, they were showing the episode where Trashbag Theresa supposedly "flips" the table. Guess what?? She NEVER "flipped" or "threw" a table. All she did was bang on the table and then shake it a couple of times until the glassware fell and rolled off. Big freaking whoop.

Then, this lowlife animal, in the side interviews (I'm thinking these were taped long after the season was over) says "my father and brother do that and now I did it" and laughed. What a freaking MORON!!!!!

Old 05-29-2011, 07:00 AM

2,385 posts, read 4,334,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdustmaker View Post
Folks in other states are ok with being called "garbage" by their family members?
I think it's more that "garbage" seems to be the goto insult more than any other insult.

Old 05-29-2011, 08:32 AM

4,526 posts, read 6,087,058 times
if i were their parents i'ld get a disguise,change my name,and return to italy-----is nj seeking to change its motto from the garden state to the guido state???

Old 05-29-2011, 09:19 AM

4,502 posts, read 13,470,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by auntieannie68 View Post
if i were their parents i'ld get a disguise,change my name,and return to italy-----is nj seeking to change its motto from the garden state to the guido state???
It's really embarassing and I'm glad I'm not from NJ!!! All these "NJ" shows make them look like morons --- Real Housewives of New Jersey, Jersey Shore, Jerseylicious --- they all act and look like the lowest form of trash on the planet. The worst part? They're PROUD of it!!!!!!

Old 05-29-2011, 09:52 AM

23,867 posts, read 33,561,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grimace8 View Post
i see you're from new jersey rose. how do you feel about the show representing new jersey?
I don't feel it represents NJ. It may be how they live up there; but it's not how the whole state is. I grew up about 30 minutes away; I was also 30 minutes from NY. There are towns that are wealthier; they're in one of them. The town is desirable because it's close to NY; so real estate is higher because there is less land.

IMO; the show was started because Dina had a Platinum wedding. They saw how everyone interacted then; they spun it off; then when Dina left; they picked others that had drama. There's this type of jealousy in a lot of families- NJ is a melting pot of immigrants; my parents included. Teresa's family came here; probably lived in Newark & worked hard. A lot of Italians were in construction; some more successful then others; which gives jealousy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrence81 View Post
Melissa said that he's the "top" real estate developer in New Jersey. How anyone in real estate is able to go all out on a brand new house in this economy is beyond me but umm...okay.
I've never heard of him. As far as I know he's not one of the more well known builders.

NJ new homes - Hovnanian; Richmond; Ryan; Pulte.. well that's a few; there are a lot more. Could be that since I'm in South Jersey; that I haven't heard of him because he doesn't come down here. Doing a search for J Gorga Construction; doesn't even have a web site.

Taxing times for Jersey duo - "Real Housewife of New Jersey" Melissa Gorga, who's been handpicked for TV to antagonize her bankrupt sister-in-law Teresa Giudice, brings her own financial woes to the Bravo reality show. Melissa and her developer husband, Joe, who appear in the new season starting Monday, have tax liens against two of their properties, according to public records. They bought their 13,000-square-foot mansion in Montville, NJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Violett View Post
Here's why I don't think it's a setup between Teresa and her brother on the show: I lived in NJ for a while with relatives, and I dated a hardcore Italian from Lawn Guyland and let me tell you, THEY ARE ALL ABOUT APPEARANCES AND SHOWING FAMILY UNITY. Like, culturally, they feel great SHAME if they bash members of their family publicly and they go to great lengths to conceal their family's dirty laundry IN PUBLIC. So Teresa, being the stereotypical Italian that she is, is probably BEYOND mortified that her family issues are on public display.
Really? I don't know how long you've lived here but it's not what I've seen

Old 05-29-2011, 09:56 AM

Quote:
i'm still confused what paterson has to do with anything
Link to new post

Old 05-29-2011, 10:03 AM

3,264 posts, read 5,591,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
Teresa's family came here; probably lived in Newark & worked hard.
she's "from Paterson, girlfriend"

"did you forget?"

"did you forget?"

Old 05-29-2011, 10:15 AM

501 posts, read 1,474,409 times
[quote=auntieannie68;19356823]if i were their parents i'ld get a disguise,change my name,and return to italy-----is nj seeking to change its motto from the garden state to the guido state???[/quote]

If I were their parents I'd move back to Italy too. I've lived in NJ all of my life and never met people who act like this. Guidos actually originated in Staten Island (borough of NYC) in fact most of the cast of The Jersey Shore which I've never seen come from outer boroughs of Manhattan. They flock to the Jersey shore because it is a short commute for them. In the mean time all the vendors and businesses down the shore make money off of them and the natives get a good laugh! But I agree it's not very good for New Jersey's reputation especially when most of these people are transplants.

There are alot of Italians in NJ but very,very few guidos and guidettes.
Believe me the majority of people in NJ do not look or behave this way.

I'm hooked on this show again (my husband is totally disgusted with me lol) but it's my guilty pleasure. Since I tend to miss episodes I love coming to this thread to keep up. Thanks for the recaps guys!

Old 05-29-2011, 10:19 AM

Quote:
she's "from Paterson, girlfriend"

"did you forget?"

"did you forget?"
LMAO. I don't know how long Paterson has been built up; but I'm pretty sure it's recent. The houses are pretty new; which means they bought older homes; knocked them down & put the mansions up.

I'm pretty sure it's their parents that came over (Teresa & Joe); think the Manzo's have been here longer- they probably started out in Newark; then stepped in poop with purchases just like my dad did. They started in Newark; there were different sections; Italians; Hungarians; Polish. My dad then moved to another town until we ended up in a cheaper town by Elizabeth; which he had a business in Union. From there he bought a business in a town called Watchung that was built up in the 80's. It's a wealthy town with huge homes; so his investment ended up being pretty good & I don't doubt the same for these families.

There isn't much land up there; so real estate prices sky rocketed because people wanted to be closer to NY City.

Paramus wiki - Although the opening of the George Washington Bridge in 1931 and the widening of New Jersey Route 17 and New Jersey Route 4 (which intersect in southern Paramus), made the area accessible to millions, “it was not until the 1950’s that massive development hit this section of northern New Jersey...

During the 1950s and 60s Paramus, lacking any developmental master plan until 1969, quickly was transformed into two shopping corridors when its farmers and outside developers saw that shopping malls were more lucrative than produce farming.[31] “It was a developer’s dream: flat cleared land adjacent to major arterials and accessible to a growing suburban population and the country’s largest city – with no planning restrictions”.[31] New York had a State sales tax, but New Jersey had none, so with the opening of Manhattan department stores in the Bergen Mall (1952), the Garden State Plaza (1956) and Alexander’s (1961), Paramus became the “first stop outside New York City for shopping”.[32] From 1948-58 Paramus’ population increased from 6,000 to 23,000, the number of retail establishments tripled from 111 to 319 and annual retail sales increased from $5.5 million to $112 million.[32] By the 1980s, although the population just slightly exceeded 1960s levels, retail sales were $1 billion
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV