Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2009, 07:03 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,825,178 times

Advertisements

I don't think this show was making fun of black people...it was making fun of the Jacksons, which is OK in my book. I think it was funny that a white guy played Wacko Jacko. If I was a black person, I would be more offended at Wacko Jacko turning himself white and being embarrassed of his skin color than I would over some guys painting their faces black.

Old 10-09-2009, 07:45 AM

3,735 posts, read 8,070,033 times
It was making fun of black people. The Jacksons also happen to be a black family and I don't see the humor. MJ had a skin disease so don't know how you think he was trying to turn himself into white. Move on dude, this thread is about Harry Connock, Jr. and not your sentiments about Michael Jackson.

Old 10-09-2009, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayarea-girl View Post
It was making fun of black people. The Jacksons also happen to be a black family and I don't see the humor. MJ had a skin disease so don't know how you think he was trying to turn himself into white. Move on dude, this thread is about Harry Connock, Jr. and not your sentiments about Michael Jackson.
Wacko Jacko was a freak, deal with it. Skin disease, sure.

Old 10-09-2009, 07:57 AM

Again, this thread is not about Michael Jackson. If you want to talk about him and how you think he is sick and make all your points, then find an MJ thread and vent there. You are off topic.

Old 10-09-2009, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Again, this thread is not about Michael Jackson. If you want to talk about him and how you think he is sick and make all your points, then find an MJ thread and vent there. You are off topic.
Actually, I'm not off topic...this show was a skit about the Jacksons.

Old 10-09-2009, 08:01 AM

This thread is actually more about Harry Connick's remarks and not about the Jacksons, they just happen to involved in the skit. Talking about your sentiments about Michael Jackson is off topic.

Old 10-09-2009, 08:12 AM

2,421 posts, read 6,957,160 times
Quote:
This thread is actually more about Harry Connick's remarks and not about the Jacksons, they just happen to involved in the skit. Talking about your sentiments about Michael Jackson is off topic.
It's about neither actually! It's really about the Show's producers making a bad decision, in bringing that particular act back! When there's 100's of acts from past "Red faces" segments, that were far funnier and would have been more fitting for a Hey Hey, It's Saturday Reunion shows.

Last edited by Kangaroofarmer; 10-09-2009 at 09:29 AM..

Old 10-09-2009, 01:35 PM

2,245 posts, read 4,233,558 times
How can somebody notice a race is being made fun of, without the said person themselves being a racist and making it a racial issue?

Old 10-09-2009, 03:52 PM

1,492 posts, read 3,234,689 times
If HCJ had not been a judge on the show, would anyone have picked up on this?

We need to be able to laugh at our selves.
This was not racist. It did not denegrade anyone. It poked a bit of fun at The jacksons. They were black. Thats the way they were.
I do not think it was wrong of the producers to put it on. In fact it is good that they put it on so that people can talk about the issue. Hiding differences of race does not help anyone.

The actors were not red necks pushing a cause. Interestingly, they are doctors. With medical degrees. Educated.

We need to be free to celebrate diversity.

Michael Jackson was a fantastic singer, dancer, entertainer, producer. A bit weird too.

If everytime someone makes a comment that about race or religeon or gender that they get howled down then the debate will stop. Race, religeon, sex all exist. We have to live with them. We can't ignore them. Racisim is saying you cant do this because of your skin colour or your not as good as someone else because of you skin colour. The effect of this sort of negative critisism will mean that society will become very intolerant rather than tolerant.

You know, I think that the only reason this is being discussed is because one american was offended

Old 10-09-2009, 04:05 PM

aidxen, I get your point of view and respect it. But what the performers did was denigrate a group of people and not to say that there are racist. Sometimes people don't realize that some thing may be taken in a totally different way then how it was intended and people who it affects can be a bit sensitive. What HCJ did was very important because it was a teachable moment for all of us. He taught that country about our interpetation of the joke and doubt that they would continue to do such a thing in the future, at least when an American entertainer is present.

Also, when people come here from other places there are many things that come off as offensive. Again, they are teachable moments. Harry did a good job to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV