Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2009, 03:03 PM

6,266 posts, read 19,166,056 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarthBound? View Post
I find reality TV is for the weak minded and the extremely bored that need to get a life. Pick up a book sometime and read. These are the same people that are probably living in either ghetto or a trailerpark, they work at the BK lounge or Crackerbarrel. They either didn't graduate high school or they got a GED "Good Enough Deploma".

I prefer to watch educational programming, home emprovement, nature shows and anything else that one may learn from. BUT, absolutley NO SPORTS AT ALL. When the sports program "so called professional sports" get more money "tax dallors" than the schools do, and they close down schools do to no money, well they need to close the stadiums . Sorry got to get off the soapbox, and get back on topic.
well now that you've insulted a high percentage of the CD members, perhaps you could...........get back to your high society real world and leave the weak mined,bored people alone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinyHappyLucy View Post
I really don't like to do this, but spell check is your friend. You misspelled trailer park (two words), Cracker Barrel (two words), diploma, improvement, absolutely, and dollars. Instead of insulting every person here who happens to like reality shows, try cracking open a dictionary since you're so into books and education. If you're feeling really daring, you could always watch the yearly spelling bee aired on ABC. I know it's somewhat a reality show/competition and goes against everything you believe, but it could be beneficial to you. Stepping of MY soapbox before I start pointing out your grammar errors, too.
Thank you for reading my mind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2009, 05:13 PM

905 posts, read 3,454,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EarthBound? View Post
I find reality TV is for the weak minded and the extremely bored that need to get a life. Pick up a book sometime and read. These are the same people that are probably living in either ghetto or a trailerpark, they work at the BK lounge or Crackerbarrel. They either didn't graduate high school or they got a GED "Good Enough Deploma".

I prefer to watch educational programming, home emprovement, nature shows and anything else that one may learn from. BUT, absolutley NO SPORTS AT ALL. When the sports program "so called professional sports" get more money "tax dallors" than the schools do, and they close down schools do to no money, well they need to close the stadiums . Sorry got to get off the soapbox, and get back on topic.
You should not make such broad assumptions!

Another bit of advice, if you choose to question someones education level and intelligence you should use spell check!

I am a college educated, gainfully self employed, Reality TV lover. I also enjoy scripted TV, in addition to the aforementioned "educational" and home improvement shows.

If you do not like Reality TV, get a DVR and or a TV with remote control and use it!

Old 07-29-2009, 01:38 PM

4,921 posts, read 7,690,797 times
If you stage a situation how can you call it reality?

Old 07-29-2009, 01:44 PM

22,855 posts, read 6,437,988 times
I used to eagerly watch House Hunters until I read they already had to be closing/ closed on a property to be on the show. The rest was staged. I still watch but wonder from the beginning which house is actually theirs.

Old 07-29-2009, 02:15 PM

208 posts, read 469,570 times
"Reality" in Realty TV isn't meant to be taken literal.

Old 07-29-2009, 02:44 PM

1,482 posts, read 3,126,522 times
It is hard when the cost is so low for something like this, and so many are at least marginally popular.

The overhead makes them almost instantly profitable.

But they are not Clean Sweep or some of the DIY shows. They are not This Old House (which was great to see Bob Vila break things). They are not Dirty Jobs. They are not even Man vs. Food! At least those shows have a bit of actual reality behind them and try to show/teach you something.

Survivor can be interesting, but I am not a big fan.

How about all the contest shows?
Do you think you can Dance, Dance with the Celebrities, and Dance your a## off??!? Enough dancing!!!!! Top Chef, Chopped, Hells Kitchen, Top Chop Hell Kitchen, whatever. I liked the original food chalange (Chef's Challange? Japanese original) but even that has gotten old and overplayed.

As for scripted shows, actual sitcoms and the like? Well when 2½ men is proclaimed as one of the best, we are in sorry shape from the days of WKRP, MASH, and Barney Miller. But what can you say when you have to have someone like Ron Howard doing your voiceovers to keep even a brilliantly weird show like Arrested Development on the air for 3 easons? Some shows don't even last a season now!

TV is just sad. I used to look forward to Thursdays, now everyone tries for the same market on teh same days so you end up missing something you like all on one day and every other day is schmutz that isn't worth the time it takes to scrape it off your shoes....

Old 07-30-2009, 09:25 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,594,973 times
I agree,it is a sad commentary; DIY shows and the like are at least info shows,the bs and fake drama reality trash has to go;people need to stop watching,hopefully it will die out in a few years, meanwhile it seems all the no talent producers are laughing at the plebian tastes of the network audiences.

Old 09-12-2009, 04:31 PM

1,008 posts, read 2,079,394 times
Default Do you watch reality TV shows?

If you answered yes to this question, let me ask you. Why do you watch these shows?

It seems like everybody knows these shows suck. And most people will not admit out loud that they watch them. But yet a HUGE percentage of the USA is watching this junk and keeping it going.

Confess. Who watches these shows? And what do you find appealing about them?

Old 09-12-2009, 05:51 PM

3,769 posts, read 8,801,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCaliforniaBear View Post
Confess. Who watches these shows? And what do you find appealing about them?
Hello, my name is StilltheSame, I watch reality TV, why? I do not know.

Old 09-12-2009, 05:55 PM

259 posts, read 732,334 times
i like to watch the reality shows that are for real reality. (shows where a camera comes along to film real life). I like the insanity of the Industry and am interested in how people deal. (as well as being fascinated by people in general.)

reality shows that aren't reality are silly. but people love 'em!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV