Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-11-2013, 11:52 AM

384 posts, read 596,185 times

Advertisements

These people are nuts.

The End.

Old 10-12-2013, 01:56 PM

862 posts, read 1,643,229 times
In the past, Michelle and Jim Bob have said whether they have children is in the Lord's hands. The most recent episode Michelle stated that they were TRYING to get pregnant. Doesn't seem to me they are leaving it in the Lord's hands anymore.

Old 10-12-2013, 02:30 PM

137 posts, read 272,951 times
Those people are super creepy. The only god telling the Duggars it's a great idea to have that many children is speaking to them through Jom Bob's zipper.

What a creep.

The whole family is lucky Michelle hasn't gone all Andrea Yates on them.

Old 10-13-2013, 12:25 AM

16,488 posts, read 24,483,331 times
Michelle will keep trying to have more babies until the day comes that her body simply will not get pregnant anymore, and then they will probably try to adopt.

Old 10-13-2013, 02:01 AM

3,199 posts, read 7,828,718 times
I do find it odd to have so many children and still even with the income of the show and appearances have no clue how they afford all of them.
I know reality shows are often staged but this family does seem happy and that they get along and love each other. It is hard to believe especially since many are teens that not one so far has not strayed from the strict rules or has teen issues. Also that known of the older ones have resentment for having to basically help raise their siblings.

Old 10-13-2013, 04:10 AM

137 posts, read 272,951 times
Ik sure they have huge, enormous tax credits for having that many dependents. They can claim they are economically independent all they want, but think about what they must benefit from in terms if claiming that many people on their taxes. Not to mention whatever kind of sponsors and donations they must receive in addition to payment from the show.

AND companies who say, donate a years supply of baby goods or whatever will get a tax credit for their donation. These people would be vilified if they were reviewing food stamps or a more traditional subsidy, yet they are probably benefitting much, much more from tax credits and are celebrated.

Old 10-13-2013, 04:59 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,055,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calliope76 View Post
Ik sure they have huge, enormous tax credits for having that many dependents. They can claim they are economically independent all they want, but think about what they must benefit from in terms if claiming that many people on their taxes. Not to mention whatever kind of sponsors and donations they must receive in addition to payment from the show.

AND companies who say, donate a years supply of baby goods or whatever will get a tax credit for their donation. These people would be vilified if they were reviewing food stamps or a more traditional subsidy, yet they are probably benefitting much, much more from tax credits and are celebrated.
Agree! Plus, I wonder if they either get huge discounts, or free services from their doctors/dentists because of the free advertising those medical folks get from the show?

As far as Michelle wanting another baby, I recall her recently commenting that she and Jim Bob were talking about the possibility of adopting. I agree with the rest of the posters who say that enough is enough already! Enjoy the grandbabies if you have the need to hold a baby or change diapers.

Old 10-13-2013, 06:02 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,546,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaniellaG View Post
I do find it odd to have so many children and still even with the income of the show and appearances have no clue how they afford all of them.
I know reality shows are often staged but this family does seem happy and that they get along and love each other. It is hard to believe especially since many are teens that not one so far has not strayed from the strict rules or has teen issues. Also that known of the older ones have resentment for having to basically help raise their siblings.
Resentment comes later. I'm one of six and, as a teen, actually kind of liked that my parents relied on me. Only later when I looked back on my life did I realize what that cost me. I never played sports or really belonged to any group in school because I had to come home and get the kids from day care. As a child, I didn't feel special. My mom didn't really like me. Having that responsibility made me feel special because of the way other people viewed me because of it. They felt sorry for me. Only later did I realize why they felt sorry for me. When you make your kids raise your kids you rob them of a childhood. I'm sure the teens are eating up all the attention from being on TV. They may decide years from now that they gave up more than they realized for that attention. You have to put this in context. If you're one of 19, you're not going to feel that you get enough attention. The TV show gives them that attention so does the pity of strangers.

Old 10-13-2013, 08:35 PM

9,418 posts, read 13,500,168 times
I caught an episode a few days ago, a rerun and not sure how old it is. I'm not a regular viewer. It was their trip to China when one of the staff of the show went into labor there. She was due in 5 weeks. Now, am I crazy or is being just over a month from your due date not a good time to take a trip like that? Granted it's been 16 years for me, but my OB did not recommend even a 2 hour plane trip past 7 1/2 or so months. I can't for the life of me imagine traveling overseas when so close to delivery.

Old 10-14-2013, 02:34 AM

3,199 posts, read 7,828,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
Resentment comes later. I'm one of six and, as a teen, actually kind of liked that my parents relied on me. Only later when I looked back on my life did I realize what that cost me. I never played sports or really belonged to any group in school because I had to come home and get the kids from day care. As a child, I didn't feel special. My mom didn't really like me. Having that responsibility made me feel special because of the way other people viewed me because of it. They felt sorry for me. Only later did I realize why they felt sorry for me. When you make your kids raise your kids you rob them of a childhood. I'm sure the teens are eating up all the attention from being on TV. They may decide years from now that they gave up more than they realized for that attention. You have to put this in context. If you're one of 19, you're not going to feel that you get enough attention. The TV show gives them that attention so does the pity of strangers.
I am sorry about how you felt and feel about your childhood. I am an only child but can imagine it being hard and how you wanted to feel cared for too. I never thought about the TV and strangers giving the kids attention but I agree. The parents get a lot too. The kids are well mannered and seem smart but they also seem like they are in another world with an odd almost dazed look.
I also wonder what free items they get. I am pretty sure the trips they take are but I wonder what other items are sent to them. The older son who got a job in DC I have to believe he got it because of being on the show. I don't think they stated what the job is but he does not have a college education. I understand he ran the car lot but still.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV