Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2009, 07:38 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,431,754 times

Advertisements

where is twinkle toes when you need her.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2009, 08:50 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,378,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyworld View Post
I saw a commercial for that show the other day and it bothered me as I was thinking it was a way for TV to exploit...........it is sad that TV has gotten to this point. It reminds me of a while back they had some show about You can look good naked or something like that.........talk about belittling people but what is wrong with the people that go on these shows.
I thought the same thing when I saw the previews. I recently saw a preview for a Bachleor type show but it's all overweight people...I'm guessing the thought here is that an overweight person wouldn't be a desirable Bachelor/Bachelorette unless every one on the show is overweight as well

Old 06-22-2009, 08:54 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,041,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
where is twinkle toes when you need her.
I'm here!!!

haven't seen the ads for the show, but I can say that ballroom dancing will definitely melt away pounds. as far as me watching the show? Probably not. My husband can only take so many dance-related shows!

Old 07-05-2009, 05:38 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,378,567 times
I watched a little of this while I was folding laundry. I doubt I'll watch it again.

Was I the only one who was bothered by the costume choices? I mean kudos to them for feeling comfortable enough to wear tube tobs and net shirts while dancing but was it really necessary? When the hostess (I don't know her name) was on Dancing with the stars all of her outfits were very flattering to her figure. Do they think that if these women don't show their bellies we won't really believe they're overweight?

Old 07-05-2009, 10:19 PM

1,094 posts, read 2,465,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
I watched a little of this while I was folding laundry. I doubt I'll watch it again.

Was I the only one who was bothered by the costume choices? I mean kudos to them for feeling comfortable enough to wear tube tobs and net shirts while dancing but was it really necessary? When the hostess (I don't know her name) was on Dancing with the stars all of her outfits were very flattering to her figure. Do they think that if these women don't show their bellies we won't really believe they're overweight?
I saw the show and while I like the premise, I'm disappointed with the costume choices. Having the contestants wear tight, short, revealing clothing is another way to exploit them, at least in my opinion.

I'm amazed at least 2 (or was it 3?) of the women were able to do the splits. I'm not that big and I can't do the splits, so I'm amazed.

I may give the show another chance, because I like the fact the contestants are responsible for their weight loss the responsible way: they have to resist temptation on their own. I like Biggest Loser, but the people live on a ranch with only the foods they're allowed to have accessible to them. That's not realistic. Time will tell if I like it, but I'll give it a chance... for now.

Old 07-06-2009, 01:55 PM

5,024 posts, read 8,895,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
I'm in my 40's.. teen girl, adult son; no prude here...
I'm offended by the name.

Some of the things that are said on TV these days..
I was reading Parade or something, someone asked if the laws changed due to the language; it said it didn't but that they can't control stuff on cable.

It's not only cable; some of the words coming out of actors mouths is inappropriate. I shudder to think what we'll be watching/hearing in a few years.
True, my boyfriend was watching a movie last night on FMC (Fox Movie Classics I think it is?) and it was a full-length movie and someone was saying the "F" word. I was shocked. Sure, on HBO or Showtime or Cinemax, but now on FMC?

I'm glad this thread came along - I couldn't believe the name when I saw the ads on TV. I'm not a prude (and I use bad language sometimes myself so I'm no saint) but why couldn't they have called it,"Dance Your Butt Off!"? You know the kids will be saying that in class and on the playground, again and again and again...

Again, great thread. Glad I'm not the only one who thought this way.

Old 07-06-2009, 02:09 PM

1,482 posts, read 3,126,817 times
OT - But I hate it when they decide to try to put something in on TOP of the swear words.

That so-so flik Die Hard 2 was on the other night and some of the words they chose to supplant were hysterical.

"Yipiee-kai-yay-[happy guy]" ???!?

Oh, I like the punny choice of # # #! Dance your "pounds" off!

Lastly, as with all of these skill shows. From Loser to Chef, why the heck to they have to vote people off so early? Let people stay on a while and gain a following first before voting them off on the first show!

If the purpose it so get people to WATCH, you would think they would try to appeal to as many as possible. Also, the more people FEEL for a contestant, the more they will WATCH, and the more emotion they will have while watching. Emotion sells. With the amount of time they devote to these shows, you would think they would have no problem with keeping the contestants on for a while until ther was no doubt, or possibility of them winning (point tallies?).

Old 07-06-2009, 09:30 PM

1,094 posts, read 2,465,949 times
I just finished watching the show and I am disappointed the person I wanted eliminated stayed. I also don't know if I can stomach next week's theme. I really, really, really don't know if I can tune in next week. Maybe it'll be like a train wreck: I won't want to watch, but something will draw me to it.

Old 07-06-2009, 11:38 PM

11,151 posts, read 15,836,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by senalj View Post
I just finished watching the show and I am disappointed the person I wanted eliminated stayed.
LOL -- me, too!

I will say one thing about this week's episode -- the costumes were SO much better. I'm sorry, but there was just TOO much skin showing last week. This week everyone was covered up a bit more and, frankly, that little added bit of clothing made everyone look sexier.

Old 07-07-2009, 12:46 AM
Ohs

236 posts, read 712,767 times
I thought from the commercials that the show would exploit the dancers more then it actually did. I think if T.V. shows can have skinny people showing tons of skin then why not the same for over weight people. They are just wearing the same costumes other dancers would wear so I think that shows more respect then saying, "hey cover up fatty here’s your moo moo instead". I was really rooting for the dancers and appreciated the guts it takes to go on stage and perform knowing that people are judging you. Yes, they are focusing on losing weight but it seems more focused on being healthy rather then being skinny and that’s good. All of you bothered so much by the big bad word a$$ need to lighten up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV