Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Tyler
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2021, 03:56 PM

552 posts, read 223,318 times

Advertisements

Hi, I live in zip code 75709, in a rural area not far from the airport.

My basic Suddenlink internet only, JUST INTERNET ( 250 speed that I barely use)
is as of March 2021 $ 81.56/month, which seems excessive to me. I do not
rent any extra equipment at all. I have my own router.

I do not want cable or phone. I just want basic internet and that is it.

I contacted Digi Com LLC, they quoted about 90 bucks a month.

Is this what people in Tyler pay for basic internet nowadays?

That is awfully expensive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2021, 12:47 PM

10,225 posts, read 7,587,698 times
I don't know about Tyler, specifically. But if you have two broadband providers in one area, you're very lucky. I thought there could be only one, since one paid for & maintains the cable. I have one broadband provider and one fiberoptic provider. That's allowed, since they have different cables. Do you have a data cap?

I've known people who change ISP providers occasionally, to get the promos. Have all your promos expired? If so, maybe change to Digi Com, when it's having a promo.

You could also check w/AT&T to see if it offers DSL. Since you don't need fast internet, DSL might work fine for you. I had low speed DSL for years. Since DSL isn't shared with the neighborhood, a much lower DSL speed is equal to a faster broadband speed, I found.

I don't know if it's there yet, but Verizon just came out with 5G Home cell tower internet to residences (not phone 5G). You could check on something like that. It just started offering that in my area. I was excited, but when I read the fine print, it's slow speed with maybe a low cap? Something about it that wouldn't work for me. Also, it was expensive, since I don't have Verizon phone account (it's more reasonable for people with a Verizon mobile phone account).

5G Home is coming in the next few years, though.

High cost for internet services, and lack of competition, are some of the trade-offs for living in a semi-rural or rural area, unfortunately. If you have to move in the future, you could check on those services and take that into account when deciding where to move to. But it should get better when 5G Home becomes available to more areas. In the beginning, cost may be too high, but should lower as more people get it.

I live in a different semi-rural area. My promos with Vyve Broadband were great to start off with, but have now expired. My rate is about the same as yours...I cancelled home VOIP phone, and I'm going to replace their modem w/my own. My rate should be about $75 or $80, I think. It WAS $100, incl. modem rental and VOIP phone. For only 25mbps speed. Seriously. If I pay $100, I'm going to switch to the fiberoptic choice I have. At least it's fast and the company is better.

Old 02-28-2021, 01:01 PM

3,041 posts, read 11,889,306 times
Suddenlink is the only game in town. They have horrible customer service and ours goes out a lot... we’re out of city limits. Ugh

Old 03-02-2021, 03:55 PM

3,028 posts, read 5,086,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tylerrose View Post
Hi, I live in zip code 75709, in a rural area not far from the airport.

My basic Suddenlink internet only, JUST INTERNET ( 250 speed that I barely use)
is as of March 2021 $ 81.56/month, which seems excessive to me. I do not
rent any extra equipment at all. I have my own router.

I do not want cable or phone. I just want basic internet and that is it.

I contacted Digi Com LLC, they quoted about 90 bucks a month.

Is this what people in Tyler pay for basic internet nowadays? Is 250 the base speed, I have the base feed of whatever it is and it's great, no problem for years.

That is awfully expensive.
Of course, if you bundle all three services you come out much better. I just paid 91.80 for the upgrade of sports and they provide everything. I have just one tv. I pay 7.99 for any needed repair services, I could "take off the repair and sports upgrade and the cost would be about 72 per month. Therefore, it seems high for just the internet.

Old 03-11-2021, 12:04 PM

41 posts, read 76,784 times
I have Suddenlink internet service and have never had a problem. I think where you live in town matters with regard to reliability. It is expensive. I upgraded to 400 mbs when streaming became popular and I'm paying about $130 a month. Expensive but I don't have to deal with buffering or failure to load. My television provider is Direct TV. That's expensive as well. I read that Suddenlink is moving into streaming and that they are offering an Apple TV device with their Altice One app installed for access your Suddenlink package and any other streaming subscriptions are via the Apple TV. Streaming is typically less costly so bundled with internet you may come out ahead. Otherwise, I got nothing to offer. Suddenlink rules in Tyler currently.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Tyler