Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2012, 12:19 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,923,558 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
Our empire is so vast that we cannot be expected to know every corner of it.
I do know where Guam is cause I'm a geography nut. I was in high school when my older brother had a guy who had just come from Guam move in next door to him in New Jersey. I talked to the guy then about Guam and from then on knew about it.

A couple years ago I was on the monorail in Las Vegas, and a bunch of us on there got talking. A group of Candians mentioned they were from Ontario. An American guy about 25yo living in Vegas asked where that was. They told him the part of Ontario that borders Minnesota. He then asked them where Minnesota was. The thing was he didn't even know Minnesota was a state. I kid you not. The Canadians looked truly dumbfounded. I cringed and just thought there is no hope for a country when its own citizens don't know which parts are even in it. It is pathetic. Does anyone truly believe that with all the problems this country faces, we will be able to stick together in a union for the long haul while many citizens don't even know which parts are in and which are out? I don't think so. Personally I don't want those people even voting in national elections.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2012, 07:58 PM

7,800 posts, read 10,104,745 times
Quote:
Our empire is so vast that we cannot be expected to know every corner of it.
Being able to name the 50 states, 1 federal district, and 5 territories of the Federal union isent exactly rocket science.

Old 01-22-2012, 05:31 AM

14,480 posts, read 11,277,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
Being able to name the 50 states, 1 federal district, and 5 territories of the Federal union isent exactly rocket science.
Actually there are more than that but who's counting? As an American, I'm embarrassed that you didn't know that.

Old 01-22-2012, 07:24 AM

7,800 posts, read 10,104,745 times
Quote:
Actually there are more than that but who's counting? As an American, I'm embarrassed that you didn't know that.
Care to enlighten me?

Oh I assume you are referring to the free association countries - they are not and never were Americans like the Puerto Ricans, Guamanians, US Virgin Islanders, and Northern Mariana Islanders. Nor were they US nationals like American Samoans.

Residents of the Philippines, Palau, Micronesia, and the Marshall Islands were not entitled to US citizenship while under US rule. Hence the reason why they became independent - they had no strings attached.

Old 01-22-2012, 10:12 AM

107 posts, read 187,878 times
The only thing I know about Guam is that there used to be a Military base there and my brother was born there. I have pictures of him standing next to banana trees. I have no idea what it is like at this time. I would like to go visit sometime. Has anyone been there that could share information about Guam?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories