Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2012, 04:46 PM

4 posts, read 14,346 times

Advertisements

I recently came back from a vacation in Puerto rico, saw all the sights experienced the "packed crazy driving" but handled myself well with a 4-door jeep wrangler we rented for the week (handled the streets of old san juan, mountains of Adjuntas).

I currently live in Midcoast maine.. it's beautiful here in the spring and fall, but the winters are so bleak, and sadly, not so mystical anymore.. all I see is the heating bills floating overhead..

I do know that the utilities in Puerto Rico are fairly high.. electric is higher than most, but I also have high rates here... around $0.33 / KWH after the initial $50.00 transmission/line fee which includes the first 300KWH..

I want to simplify, and get back to what I love.. cooking.. my fiance's friend even offered me a job at her coffee shop, and helping with their buisness. we would have a place to stay in "Torrimar URB" until we got on our feet.. I know this would be a dis-advantage for me as I speak little spanish (took 3 years in HS, it's coming back to me slowly). I really have looked at this and it really does look like a good move..

pros: beautiful place, great food, friends, family, I love the colors, prices are similar for almost everything.

cons: crime, thefts, education, jobs,

knowing all this I would end up having to sell our 2 year old home, for which we still owe a good chunk of change for, but have done some drastic improvements to such as installing a huge back deck, cable tv to all rooms, landscaping, and improvements to insulation.

I'm thinking our best option would be to move down there after selling this house.. get settled with jobs, buy ourselves cars, and get to saving up for another house.. and eventually buy a house. we're thinking in the San Juan area in an Urbanization like "Torrimar".. my Fiance's daughter would be home schooled along with her friends daughter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2012, 05:14 PM

Oh I forgot to mention, my Fiance' is a native Puerto Rican except for the last 5 years, I've lived in Maine all my life but have been well traveled. She has family down there, as well as her daughters grandparents.

I am a corrections officer in Maine and think I know more than how to handle myself in any situation. I always practice the policy of not carrying much cash on me, and keeping a spare credit card hidden in the car.

Last edited by Sunscape; 05-23-2012 at 05:23 PM..

Old 05-23-2012, 06:08 PM

80 posts, read 448,350 times
I have only heard great things about Torrimar area...a beautiful area! You will love it. You only live once, so I say that you go for it! Besides, if you are renting at first and decide it is not for you, you can easily just relocate. Best of luck to you.

Old 05-28-2012, 10:47 PM

139 posts, read 328,139 times
So what are your questions?

I moved here 2 years ago from San Francisco and I love it. I have a Bachelors in French and have lived in France several times. I don't speak A WORD of Spanish and I have absolutely no problems at all what so ever.

Old 06-09-2012, 09:27 AM

well, now the POT so to speak has been sweetened.. My Fiance got offered half ownership of her best friends buisness, as well as my job there as well. depending on buisness performance we'd be making a good sum of money.. we have family down there. Our only issues are selling the house here in Maine, and due to the "First time homebuyers tax credit" we need to wait until February 4th to sell the house, as that is when our first 3 years run out, or we have to pay back the $8,000.00. as we are planning a wedding we're obligated to stay until the time runs out, we're still weighing the pro's and Con's.. So far I see us moving down there, I have no issues witht he traffic, people, or lifestyle down there. the crime, and drug issue doe'snt bother me, never touch the stuff, and being a corrections officer I know I can handle myself down there.

Old 06-09-2012, 10:09 AM

80 posts, read 448,350 times
You sound all set. Awesome

Old 06-10-2012, 06:36 AM

87 posts, read 147,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott17818 View Post
I recently came back from a vacation in Puerto rico, saw all the sights experienced the "packed crazy driving" but handled myself well with a 4-door jeep wrangler we rented for the week (handled the streets of old san juan, mountains of Adjuntas).

I currently live in Midcoast maine.. it's beautiful here in the spring and fall, but the winters are so bleak, and sadly, not so mystical anymore.. all I see is the heating bills floating overhead..

I do know that the utilities in Puerto Rico are fairly high.. electric is higher than most, but I also have high rates here... around $0.33 / KWH after the initial $50.00 transmission/line fee which includes the first 300KWH..

I want to simplify, and get back to what I love.. cooking.. my fiance's friend even offered me a job at her coffee shop, and helping with their buisness. we would have a place to stay in "Torrimar URB" until we got on our feet.. I know this would be a dis-advantage for me as I speak little spanish (took 3 years in HS, it's coming back to me slowly). I really have looked at this and it really does look like a good move..

pros: beautiful place, great food, friends, family, I love the colors, prices are similar for almost everything.

cons: crime, thefts, education, jobs,

knowing all this I would end up having to sell our 2 year old home, for which we still owe a good chunk of change for, but have done some drastic improvements to such as installing a huge back deck, cable tv to all rooms, landscaping, and improvements to insulation.

I'm thinking our best option would be to move down there after selling this house.. get settled with jobs, buy ourselves cars, and get to saving up for another house.. and eventually buy a house. we're thinking in the San Juan area in an Urbanization like "Torrimar".. my Fiance's daughter would be home schooled along with her friends daughter.
Don't let the utilities scare you so much. They are more expensive, especially in relation to income, but when I paid my electric seperate, I paid $65 for a 2 bedroom apartment and now electric is included in my $400 month rent for a different 2 bedroom apartment. You just have to get over an atatchment to A/C. I have never used A/C in 5 years.

Old 06-10-2012, 09:30 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,924,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chikooeste View Post
Don't let the utilities scare you so much. They are more expensive, especially in relation to income, but when I paid my electric seperate, I paid $65 for a 2 bedroom apartment and now electric is included in my $400 month rent for a different 2 bedroom apartment. You just have to get over an atatchment to A/C. I have never used A/C in 5 years.
I agree. The biggest utility expensive in Puerto Rico is the air conditioner. If you have it running all day everyday like a lot of transplants in Florida, expect a $300-$400 bill at the end of the month. Run the A/C only during off-peak times if you want to be comfortable and save on electricity. That's what we used to do, sweat it out during the day but sleep in a cool room at night. Not using A/C at all would be the best choice, as it will help you adjust to the heat quicker. We never used A/C from December to March since it was just cool enough at night that a fan would do the job

Old 06-11-2012, 09:27 AM

good to know.. I was only down there from May 11th- 20th and it was 80-85* and around 90 percent humidity..Took me about 5-6 days to get used to the heat (and find some light clothes to wear). In Adjuntas it was a bit cooler. we would most likely be staying with my fiance's Father/Stepmother in Guaynabo/Torrimar until we save up enough for a house in the same area.. we don't want to rush into buying a house. would rather take our time, and spent a year or so house hunting. I've looked online and seen some great fixer-uppers for around 80-125k.. and that's great for our income that we would be making, coming from Maine where our current house is valued at just shy of 200k.. However we're looking at waiting 8 months to make sure this is a good move, and we would both be comfortable with. As well as we have only owned this house in Maine for 28 months, and have to wait 8 months (til Feb 4th) to actually sell the house to escape paying back the "First Time Home buyers Tax Credit" I dunno about the rest of you, but I don't want to take a $8k hit. I'd rather wait it out, and weigh our options, and see where this leads us.

Is there anything else I should be concerned about? I know the crime, services, and hurricanes...

Weapons... I have a small firearms collection.. what the rules in Puerto Rico? I have a 12GA. shotgun, .22 rifle, .357Mag, 22LR pistol, and a 1940s Walther PPK I would like to take with me.. the walther's are special to me as they were my late grandfathers.. I can leave them here with my parents, but would like to take them with me. in a locked hardcase of course..

anywhere to shot said firearms? range?

Old 04-20-2013, 04:40 PM

15 posts, read 69,959 times
I say if you can find a person(s) who will take care of your house, rent it to them for let's say a 6 month lease. If you like P.R., then put it on listing. If you find that P.R is not for you, you have a way out in going back to maine. Just an observation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories