Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2009, 11:38 PM

3,368 posts, read 11,678,111 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chacho_keva View Post
I don't know what Puerto Ricans you people have talked to, but the ones I talk to do not claim to be white. Quite the contrary, most Boricuas I know declare their African roots before fessing up to the fact that they also have Euro blood in them.
Puerto Ricans come in all colors and races/racial combinations. Many Puerto Ricans are white, many are mulatto, some are mestizo, and some are black. There are even some Asian and Indian (Hindu) Puerto Ricans, but not many.

Believe it or not, some areas of Puerto Rico are overwhelmingly white (Guaynabo City, SW San Juan, coastal San Juan, Dorado, some parts of the interior). However, there aren't many non-Hispanic whites; the few that exist tend to be either retired, on vacation, or in the military.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2009, 08:02 PM

3,564 posts, read 4,400,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crisp444 View Post
Puerto Ricans come in all colors and races/racial combinations. Many Puerto Ricans are white, many are mulatto, some are mestizo, and some are black. There are even some Asian and Indian (Hindu) Puerto Ricans, but not many.

Believe it or not, some areas of Puerto Rico are overwhelmingly white (Guaynabo City, SW San Juan, coastal San Juan, Dorado, some parts of the interior). However, there aren't many non-Hispanic whites; the few that exist tend to be either retired, on vacation, or in the military.

Hey, remember sweetheart...."en Puerto Rico, el que no tiene Dinga, ¡tiene Mandinga!" While this may not mean much to some, it's an acknowledgement of our African roots.

Old 04-07-2009, 10:50 PM

I am familiar with that phrase, but as hindsight2020 has so eloquently said, a very substantial contingent of Puerto Rico's population is of non-mixed or virtually non-mixed European origin. It is true that many people who mark "white" for the census have visible African ancestry, but many do not. Not too much "dinga" or "mandinga" blood floating around the gated communities in Guaynabo and Dorado... Observing stateside Puerto Ricans would give the impression that "Puerto Ricans are not white"; this would be misleading, however, because each Puerto Rican is of different heritage and some families are more mixed than others and some families are not mixed at all.

Old 04-08-2009, 10:06 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,742,360 times
Apart from this riveting discussion which is most interesting but really not unusual, I would question why the OP asked the question in the first place. Eh? Cheers!

Old 04-08-2009, 01:29 PM

93,500 posts, read 124,229,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chacho_keva View Post
I don't know what Puerto Ricans you people have talked to, but the ones I talk to do not claim to be white. Quite the contrary, most Boricuas I know declare their African roots before fessing up to the fact that they also have Euro blood in them.
Good point and that seems to be more on the mainland due to the type of Puerto Ricans that migrated here.

Also, the fact of a strong African cultural presence has a lot to do with that as well and the association of that once they came to the mainland. So, that's why you see a close relationship with African Americans/Blacks and Puerto Ricans in NYC and other cities with a good amount of both groups. There is a history that comes with that realization.

Old 04-08-2009, 01:34 PM

Quote:
I am familiar with that phrase, but as hindsight2020 has so eloquently said, a very substantial contingent of Puerto Rico's population is of non-mixed or virtually non-mixed European origin. It is true that many people who mark "white" for the census have visible African ancestry, but many do not. Not too much "dinga" or "mandinga" blood floating around the gated communities in Guaynabo and Dorado... Observing stateside Puerto Ricans would give the impression that "Puerto Ricans are not white"; this would be misleading, however, because each Puerto Rican is of different heritage and some families are more mixed than others and some families are not mixed at all.
Much of that African ancestry is in Loiza though. From what I'm told they are so Black, you would think many of them just came from Africa. People like Carlos Delgado and Orlando Vega come to mind when I think of Puerto Ricans that are no doubt about it in terms of being Black/of African descent.

Old 04-08-2009, 01:36 PM

Quote:

Also, I've heard that even within the White community, there is variance in terms of ethnicity. There are people of Irish, Italian and German descent there. There are some Jews there as well.

Old 04-08-2009, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Also, I've heard that even within the White community, there is variance in terms of ethnicity. There are people of Irish, Italian and German descent there. There are some Jews there as well.
Most certainly. Many people in Puerto Rico have Italian, French, and English surnames due to their ancestors being from those countries. Though most white Puerto Ricans are Catholic and of Spanish origin, you are correct that there are some Jews and Protestants as well. Contrary to what many mainlanders believe, observing Puerto Ricans in the Bronx (mostly mulatto, poor) is NOT very representative of all of the Puerto Ricans on the island.

Old 04-08-2009, 03:02 PM

2,245 posts, read 7,195,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hindsight2020 View Post
where in the CONUS all of them would be re-labeled non-white due to the predominant lack of pale skin, light and straight hair and euro-centric facial features, as opposed to mixed, or 'mesticized' traits common to the average puerto rican.
This is simply incorrect. The U.S. Census Bureau defines anyone as White who has their origins in Europe, North Africa and the Middle East. Being defined as White in the U.S. has nothing to do with having "pale skin, light and straight hair."

Old 04-08-2009, 05:23 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,672,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Much of that African ancestry is in Loiza though. From what I'm told they are so Black, you would think many of them just came from Africa. People like Carlos Delgado and Orlando Vega come to mind when I think of Puerto Ricans that are no doubt about it in terms of being Black/of African descent.

True that Loiza (and Carolina) are known for being the "dark country" of PR........but Afro Boris are all over the island, at least the coastal area. In Ponce and the West, such as Aguadilla (where Delgado is from), lots of black people are seen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories