Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2009, 03:24 PM

7,800 posts, read 10,119,818 times

Advertisements

Out of the territory's 4 million residents, what #/percentage are non Hispanic Whites?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2009, 05:59 PM

3,564 posts, read 4,405,000 times
0.013% and decreasing by the day.

Old 04-05-2009, 08:35 PM
SWV

445 posts, read 1,338,310 times
From the world fact book 80% is White (Spanish origin)

https://www.cia.gov/library/publicat...k/geos/rq.html

Old 04-05-2009, 09:20 PM

1,960 posts, read 4,668,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWV View Post

This has been discussed ad nauseam. PR self-reporting of 'white' is flawed due to cultural euro-centric bias towards race in a de facto caste system of social currency in the island. In our defense, the CONUS has identical race valuations, so they're no less guilty of it. The vast majority of 'mestizos' report themselves as 'white' in PR, where in the CONUS all of them would be re-labeled non-white due to the predominant lack of pale skin, light and straight hair and euro-centric facial features, as opposed to mixed, or 'mesticized' traits common to the average puerto rican. Hell, even 'mulatos', those who in the CONUS would be labeled as classic bi-racial (white/black mix) report themselves as 'white' in Puerto Rico if their skin tone is lighter than the preponderance of blacks in the island. For a boatload of dark skinned people in PR you'd swear there are no blacks in the island, nobody labels themselves as such, even black skinned people. So there's your 80% percent. The percentage of bona fide white Hispanic people in Puerto Rico, from my anectodal experience as a white hispanic myself, sits at no more than 35-40% of natives.

All this is immaterial of course as the OP asked about non-Hispanic whites. Accounting for the transient retirees and other federal and contractor workers who get fed up with the island within 10 years, I put the permanent party crowd of non-Hispanic whites in the island at less than 5%, all concentrated in the San Juan MSA or the two or three token employment/retirement sites outside the metro area. In essence, statistically irrelevant still, particularly for it being the year 2009.

Old 04-06-2009, 08:36 AM

36 posts, read 198,950 times
wow. everyone is Puerto Rico is hispanic since they do speak spanish there you know. Now there are a lot of white people in puerto rico, just not anglo saxon germanic white people. Many people have Spanish and Italian backgrounds and are just darker white. My grandpa for instance is from puerto rico, yet he is 90 something percent white with a lot of italian and some spanish. Many of the mixed and black puerto ricans have left for the states, so there is a higher white percentage of puerto ricans in puerto rico than puerto ricans in the states. I wonder if the op has any idea what hispanic even means.

Old 04-06-2009, 02:08 PM

1,960 posts, read 4,668,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJZ 91 View Post
wow. everyone is Puerto Rico is hispanic since they do speak spanish there you know. Now there are a lot of white people in puerto rico, just not anglo saxon germanic white people. Many people have Spanish and Italian backgrounds and are just darker white. My grandpa for instance is from puerto rico, yet he is 90 something percent white with a lot of italian and some spanish. Many of the mixed and black puerto ricans have left for the states, so there is a higher white percentage of puerto ricans in puerto rico than puerto ricans in the states. I wonder if the op has any idea what hispanic even means.
Um, as a white Hispanic, even I can see the differentiation between white- hispanic and white-not-hispanic. I don't think the OP asked anything that would presumably make him come off as though he didn't know or understand the concept of "Hispanic". If anything he/she was able to de-couple race from ethnicity; that in itself shows evidence to the contrary. I don't see a problem with his/her question honestly.

In other words, "gringos" and white europeans do not comprise a statistically relevant percentage of the island's population, and natives do not fall in either of said categories, even if they're white. Asked and answered, I don't see the problem really...

Old 04-06-2009, 05:33 PM

1,744 posts, read 7,265,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJZ 91 View Post
wow. everyone is Puerto Rico is hispanic since they do speak spanish there you know. ... I wonder if the op has any idea what hispanic even means.

Good point, I always think it's a little funny when people assume "Hispanic" or Spanish speaking automatically means not white. I believe the term the OP is looking for is "Mestizo" - a mix of Spanish and Indian (and African in some cases).

Old 04-06-2009, 05:51 PM

3,564 posts, read 4,405,000 times
Default Boricuas

I don't know what Puerto Ricans you people have talked to, but the ones I talk to do not claim to be white. Quite the contrary, most Boricuas I know declare their African roots before fessing up to the fact that they also have Euro blood in them.

Old 04-06-2009, 07:46 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,689,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWV View Post

1. The question was about non-Hispanic whites.

2. That fact book is way off, for reasons others have outlined above.

Old 04-06-2009, 11:28 PM

3,368 posts, read 11,681,741 times
Hindsight2020: your posts are excellent as always. Gotta represent us Euro-Latins!

Anyways, I agree that there is nothing wrong with the OP's post and that that I don't understand the confusion regarding it. The OP explicitly stated non-Hispanic whites.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories