Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2010, 09:53 AM

81 posts, read 285,337 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by abcornwell View Post
Those of us looking into the dark hole of no extended unemployment benefits, even though we actively seek work, should spend some time contacting our representatives and faxing likely Republicans such as Olympia Snow and Susan Collins. Also, Democrat Ben Nelson voted against the bill, and Dem. Robert Byrd of West Virginia did not vote, so they both deserve a fax.

Relate what will happen when you have no cash coming in at all. Remind them to multiply the economic drain on our teetering economy (an economy 70% supported by consumer spending) by the millions. Remind them you are a voter and have a long memory.

Fax them your note and copies of your bills - I explained that obviously they had a plan to pay my bills since they voted against unemployment extensions so of course they need a copy of my bills! Fax them a copy of your work search records!

Use the links on your representatives web site to communicate with them - everyone else should be faxed (snail mail has to be inspected, etc. and can take a looong time to end up in their offices). There are free fax services on the web - I know I can't afford to pay for a lot of faxes but if I can find low cost faxing then I will use that also.

Here are links to two articles that explain quite well why the government needs to spend money during an extreme downturn, and why it will hurt the economy to not extend unemployment benefits:

Paul Krugman - The New York Times

Op-Ed Columnist - That ’30s Feeling - NYTimes.com

You could quote a bit from the articles if you feel it would be more eloquent.

To find out who is your Senator, look here:
U.S. Senate: Senators Home

To locate contact info for your Congressperson, look here:
United States House of Representatives, 111th Congress, 2nd Session

Pass this idea along, there is strength in numbers! It doesn't take much of our time to do this, and who knows? It might make a difference!
LATEST I FOUND (NOT YELLING, LOW VISION)

June 30 Update: Legislation that would provide an extension of federal extended unemployment benefits, which have expired, has not been approved in the Senate. The Senate has recessed for 4th of July and there will not be another vote until they return. However, there is a good chance the legislation will pass then, and, hopefully, it will be retroactive.
JANDJANDS
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2010, 03:42 PM

43 posts, read 93,875 times
[quote=abcornwell;14796030]Those of us looking into the dark hole of no extended unemployment benefits, even though we actively seek work, should spend some time contacting our representatives and faxing likely Republicans such as Olympia Snow and Susan Collins. Also, Democrat Ben Nelson voted against the bill, and Dem. Robert Byrd of West Virginia did not vote, so they both deserve a fax.

Relate what will happen when you have no cash coming in at all. Remind them to multiply the economic drain on our teetering economy (an economy 70% supported by consumer spending) by the millions. Remind them you are a voter and have a long memory.

Fax them your note and copies of your bills - I explained that obviously they had a plan to pay my bills since they voted against unemployment extensions so of course they need a copy of my bills! Fax them a copy of your work search records!

Use the links on your representatives web site to communicate with them - everyone else should be faxed (snail mail has to be inspected, etc. and can take a looong time to end up in their offices). There are free fax services on the web - I know I can't afford to pay for a lot of faxes but if I can find low cost faxing then I will use that also.

Here are links to two articles that explain quite well why the government needs to spend money during an extreme downturn, and why it will hurt the economy to not extend unemployment benefits:

Paul Krugman - The New York Times

Op-Ed Columnist - That ’30s Feeling - NYTimes.com

You could quote a bit from the articles if you feel it would be more eloquent.

To find out who is your Senator, look here:
U.S. Senate: Senators Home

To locate contact info for your Congressperson, look here:
United States House of Representatives, 111th Congress, 2nd Session

Pass this idea along, there is strength in numbers! It doesn't take much of our time to do this, and who knows? It might make a difference![/quot

Fortunately for us here in MA both John Kerry Democrat and Scott Brown voted "FOR" the extension to unemployment benefits until November 2010. As a result I've been sending emails to those Senators that voted "AGAINST" the proposed legislation. What is ironic about these so called Senators who represent the people of their respective states, is that they represent some of the states with a higher than average rate of unemployment!! Do you think that they'll be once again be voted into office during the bext election? I hope not because they're not only effecting the state in which they represent, but their vote effects the rest of us Americans throughout the country.

Old 07-03-2010, 03:46 PM

1,828 posts, read 4,656,663 times
I dont know where your getting that Brown voted for the extension. The only 2 Republicans that voted for it I believe are Snowe and Collins. Brown voted against it or it would have passed. Most Republicans supprt passing it with stimulus funds and Brown is one of them.

Old 07-19-2010, 04:06 PM

1 posts, read 1,365 times
Default need unemployment extension

I am on my EB extension for unemployment. They cut this on June 5. If congress passes the extension on July 20 will I be able to get out the $494 balance. I haven't been able to get any info.

Old 07-19-2010, 06:29 PM

6,612 posts, read 12,843,722 times
Quote:
Also, Democrat Ben Nelson voted against the bill, and Dem. Robert Byrd of West Virginia did not vote, so they both deserve a fax.
Well, considering he is deceased I'm not sure a fax would reach him

Old 07-19-2010, 08:01 PM

616 posts, read 1,752,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opyelie View Post
Well, considering he is deceased I'm not sure a fax would reach him
Yes, but when I wrote that post he was alive, albeit ill. I posted "oops" later (couldn't edit the post to which you refer).

Old 07-19-2010, 08:16 PM

6,612 posts, read 12,843,722 times
Quote:
Yes, but when I wrote that post he was alive, albeit ill. I posted "oops" later (couldn't edit the post to which you refer).

no worries, it was good for a chuckle (and chuckles can be hard to come by these days)

Old 07-20-2010, 05:10 AM

616 posts, read 1,752,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opyelie View Post
no worries, it was good for a chuckle (and chuckles can be hard to come by these days)
I know what you mean! DH & I every so often watch an old Office or South Park just for the sheer pleasure of laughing & silliness!

Old 07-21-2010, 03:25 PM

354 posts, read 946,234 times
Hey Opelie what happend to the unemployment link and do you know where everyone went after it was shut down. Thanks. I am waiting to see if the lastest UI extension had gone threw yet. I could really use it. thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment