Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2010, 01:29 PM

264 posts, read 457,270 times

Advertisements

Recently reading through these forums, I'm blown away by applicants who claim to be submitting 100+ job applications per week. I've even read one poster who stated that that they had attended more than 100 interviews in their one year of unemployment.

During my initial 7 month job search, I spent an average of 35 hours per week and could reasonably submit no more than 6 or 7 quality, well-revised applications. These applications were selectively targeted, many of which were for federal positions which required me to produce often multiple lengthy essays as part of the application package. Within that period, I had a total of 3 interviews, landing an offer on the third.

Was I not being aggressive enough or perhaps too selective in my job search criteria? Perhaps my seemingly low volume of applications is also the result of the specificity of skills and education required to work in the field I'm in. Moreover, having the financial support of a spouse to fall back along with the lack of financial obligations likely lessened the immediacy of securing gainful employment.

How many hours per are you spending on the job search, and what is the volume of resumes you are submitting each week?

I'd be interested in hearing your personal stories.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2010, 02:04 PM

580 posts, read 2,292,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Econolodge-911 View Post
Recently reading through these forums, I'm blown away by applicants who claim to be submitting 100+ job applications per week. I've even read one poster who stated that that they had attended more than 100 interviews in their one year of unemployment.

During my initial 7 month job search, I spent an average of 35 hours per week and could reasonably submit no more than 6 or 7 quality, well-revised applications. These applications were selectively targeted, many of which were for federal positions which required me to produce often multiple lengthy essays as part of the application package. Within that period, I had a total of 3 interviews, landing an offer on the third.

Was I not being aggressive enough or perhaps too selective in my job search criteria? Perhaps my seemingly low volume of applications is also the result of the specificity of skills and education required to work in the field I'm in. Moreover, having the financial support of a spouse to fall back along with the lack of financial obligations likely lessened the immediacy of securing gainful employment.

How many hours per are you spending on the job search, and what is the volume of resumes you are submitting each week?

Don't believe everything you read. Anybody that claims to send out over 100 applications a week would have to be applying for every job that is advertised whether they are qualified or not. Of course there is always the possibility they are blindly e-mailing generic resumes to every employer around town for jobs that aren't even available. Either way, it is a waste of time. Also, I don't believe anybody that has enough experience and a resume good enough to get 100 interviews would not be able to get a job.

As for me, I spend more time looking than applying. I probably spend about 10 hours a week looking and I might find 4 or 5 worth applying. I don't waste my time applying for jobs I'm not qualified for or really don't want.

Old 10-12-2010, 02:22 PM

1,697 posts, read 3,480,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frizzo100 View Post
Don't believe everything you read. Anybody that claims to send out over 100 applications a week would have to be applying for every job that is advertised whether they are qualified or not. Of course there is always the possibility they are blindly e-mailing generic resumes to every employer around town for jobs that aren't even available. Either way, it is a waste of time. Also, I don't believe anybody that has enough experience and a resume good enough to get 100 interviews would not be able to get a job.

As for me, I spend more time looking than applying. I probably spend about 10 hours a week looking and I might find 4 or 5 worth applying. I don't waste my time applying for jobs I'm not qualified for or really don't want.
That's what I'm doing, and for a long while I was wondering what was wrong with me for applying to so few jobs (relatively). I feel better now

Old 10-12-2010, 02:25 PM

1,828 posts, read 4,655,375 times
I am lucky to find 3 or 4 jobs that match me a week. I dont send out hundreds of resumes to jobs that dont even match me. That's half the problem now. They have to go through 400 resumes that are piled up of which probably 350 dont match the position thus yours gets lost in the mess.

Old 10-12-2010, 03:51 PM

4,399 posts, read 10,667,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Econolodge-911 View Post

I haven't been unemployed much since I've been out of school but I would say on average I was submitting about 15-20 applications a week when I was unemployed and about 5-7 when I was employed but looking. 100+ is very high. I would say you are a little on the low end but I didn't write many essays for my job search. My search was reasonably selective but not much so. When I was unemployed I had the option of moving home but I was very far from keen so my search was urgent. When I was unemployed I was spending 40-50 hours a week job searching/interviewing etc.

Old 10-12-2010, 04:12 PM

6,612 posts, read 12,837,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frizzo100 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by OHGreat View Post
I am lucky to find 3 or 4 jobs that match me a week. I dont send out hundreds of resumes to jobs that dont even match me. That's half the problem now. They have to go through 400 resumes that are piled up of which probably 350 dont match the position thus yours gets lost in the mess.

Both posts are VERY true........I go through EVERY ad I find with a fine tooth comb looking for things that would get my application thrown out without a second thought...........

Those I DO apply to are positions where I KNOW I can fulfill every requirement asked for.

Usually around half a dozen or so a week that I am a "perfect fit" for - about a dozen or so if you count the ones where I'm pretty sure I never hear back because I'd be considered "over qualified".

Old 10-12-2010, 05:27 PM

1,097 posts, read 2,045,840 times
I probably spent 5-6 hours a day doing job related stuff; looking for jobs, applying for jobs, redoing cover letters, researching companies that fit my criteria, finding companies I never heard of in my geographical area and trying to find the jobs they post only on their websites. I would call and pretend pleasant ignorance & make nice to HR people about their application process - actually got an interview out of that as one HR lady's husband had been out of work for over a year. I had set a personal goal to find 2 really "good" jobs every day, ie ones I would actually take if I got them. [also went to school & volunteered]. Didn't always meet that, but it usually averaged out.

I really thought about where I would like to work and dogged them to find areas available for volunteers. I set my sights and targeted them. It helped, didn't get a job there - but close to my goals.

Considering how freakin' long I was unemployed ,& when, I probably hit over 1000 resumes, 4 or 5 civil service tests, hundreds of volunteer hours, and maybe 6 interviews!

At points I applied to some I was over-qualified for, but it seemed pretty useless. Never got called for them. At times it was hard enthusiastically applying for something crappy, but I convinced myself that I wanted every job I applied for and tried to get it across in cover letters.

Old 10-12-2010, 09:24 PM

163 posts, read 712,525 times
In all honesty- In the beginning I started applying for maybe 4-8 jobs per week . Of course that was over a year ago. I was much pickier initially. Now? I am applying for every crappy job out there. Just anything that looks remotely like more than nothing.

Let's be real. The UI is going to run out. For me, it's 6 weeks and I will have to hope for an extension and then if that, hope the EB is still being offered or I will be out on the street.

Today I am applying for about 60 jobs per week. Reception, admin, bookkeeper, whatever. Quality smality. It's better than nothing at all which is what I have now. I'm bout ready to take a swing shift at the Poodle if things don't change (The Pink Poodle is the local strip joint). I'll just throw on my granny pantys and hit the pole.

I'm not good at starving. It's doesn't go with my outfit!

Old 10-13-2010, 03:44 AM

5,586 posts, read 10,648,748 times
I was unemployed for four months (technically still am until Monday) and at first I applied for just anything regardless of whether I'd be suited, probably dozens of applications a week. Since then I've mostly concentrated on what I'd be suited to or what's in my part of the city, so 3-8 resumes and cover letters a week.

Old 10-13-2010, 05:28 AM

7,974 posts, read 7,347,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OHGreat View Post

Ditto with me. I've mailed them, hand delivered them, and e-mailed them. In the past month? Zero response. I've even made a few "cold call" visits to some firms around town. Same thing, no openings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment