Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-06-2011, 10:54 PM

251 posts, read 641,421 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone. Just something I've been wondering while looking for work. Suppose I do end up getting a job, but have to travel 30 or so to work and then the 30 back per day. I have a brand new GMC Sierra Extended Cab. I purchased it when I had a great job and only had to drive 5 miles to work each day. I'm wondering with all of the talk with rising gas prices, if I got a job, and ended up not making much money or basically breaking even buying gas so often, if I had to quit because of this reason, would this be good enough cause to get benefits back?

Surely if you are just breaking even in gas because of low wages and high fuel cost, that would be grounds of reinstating your unemployment until you could get something closer or better paying?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2011, 01:33 AM

126 posts, read 467,671 times
I'm not sure about your current car lease, but would you be able to maybe trade the car in for a more gas efficient model? I know this doesn't really address your question, but maybe if this is a possible thing for you to do you might want to look into it. But also, you might need a car like that. Here in New England a larger car is almost required to be able to drive here in the winter.

Old 01-07-2011, 03:36 AM

2,887 posts, read 2,635,679 times
Couldn’t you determine your mileage and distance before applying, interviewing or accepting the job?

Old 01-07-2011, 06:01 AM

141 posts, read 362,608 times
You may not like what I'm going to tell you but here it is,

A 60 mile daily commute is considered close and the vehicle you own is your problem, not the employer's or the unemployment agency's problem. If you resign because it costs you too much to commute, I'm pretty sure you won't be able to resume filing for unemployment for this reason.

Either you get a more fuel efficient car, or you don't follow-up with the opportunity, or you suck it up. It's your call.

Old 01-08-2011, 03:34 PM

229 posts, read 573,908 times
UI, at least here in MN, expects you to apply for work 25 miles away so the 30 would be okay not to apply for. Your information handbook should give you the guidelines as to what they expect you to do. I don't know about other states, but ours can be easily viewd/downloaded from the website.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment