Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2013, 06:11 AM

11 posts, read 42,675 times

Advertisements

In my 9th month of receiving unemployment benefits, I accepted a full time job. It paid half my weekly claim amount and was located over an hour away. After working 25 hours the first week, I quit. I will be submitting my claim for that week today. Is this going to make me lose my existing benefits? This is in California. I had to quit for an important personal reason. Is the job considered full time even though I worked part time that week if my contract says its a full time job? Due to training, less than full time hours of work were required that first week.

Also, when I fill in the box that I worked even though I haven't been paid yet (and frankly I don't even know for sure if I will) do they automatically put a freeze on my claims until they investigate and get the whole scoop as to where I worked, why I quit and all that? Thanks for any helpful answers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2013, 09:48 AM

14,500 posts, read 31,109,855 times
You're going to have a problem.

You quit, and you'll have had to quit for "good cause," and that's a pretty high bar.

Old 03-13-2013, 10:42 AM

11 posts, read 42,675 times
If my reason doesn't get considered a good cause even though I think it is, do I lose my benefits? Do they freeze my benefits while they decide what to do? Is it better to never take a job unless you are 100% sure it will work out than to take one then show why it didnt work out, demonstrating your best efforts to work?

Old 03-13-2013, 10:58 AM

14,500 posts, read 31,109,855 times
For the first question, yes, you'll lose your benefits.

For the second, your benefits will be suspended while they investigate.

For the third, you don't get to use that criteria when accepting a job. It all comes down to whether the job is suitable or not. The way I prefer to say it is to not apply for a job unless it is as good or better than the job you lost. The state(s) rarely if ever dictate where you have to apply.

For others reading, this isn't the case in all states. There are some exceptions. From here http://workforcesecurity.doleta.gov/...onmonetary.pdf on page 5-9, are the states that treat a short time on a new job more as a refusal of work and evaluate for suitability than a quit requiring good cause: IL, MI, MN, MO, NH, NY, ND, WI, CO.

Last edited by Chyvan; 03-13-2013 at 11:46 AM..

Old 03-13-2013, 02:42 PM

334 posts, read 451,428 times
Depends on what your "important personal reason" was, the Unemployment website will tell you the reasons for a "quit" they allow.

There is very little grey area.

Unless what they wanted you to do was super dangerous, illegal, or immoral by common standards, I think you were foolish to quit.

Old 03-13-2013, 03:27 PM

25,574 posts, read 56,533,893 times
California has a huge section on Voluntary Quit. Based on OP's comment, personal reasons, it would appear he has read that. California can allow a quit where other states won't. Without knowing his specific reasons, no one can say for sure. He will have to explain it.

Voluntary Quit - Table of Contents

Old 03-13-2013, 11:51 PM

4,400 posts, read 13,402,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caliguysanfran View Post
If my reason doesn't get considered a good cause even though I think it is, do I lose my benefits?

Yes. And it is not if you think it is a good reason, it is if the EDD does. And I am going to be honest...EDD's main goal and job is to make sure you are working. GUessing there is not an "important" personal reason that is enough to get over the good cause bar.

Do they freeze my benefits while they decide what to do?

Yes. They will not pay the claim on the week you put the new income. They will schedule you for an interview to discuss. This is to be within 3 weeks. They then have 10 days to make a decision. So, a month.

Is it better to never take a job unless you are 100% sure it will work out than to take one then show why it didnt work out, demonstrating your best efforts to work?

You quit for personal reasons. Those do not exist with the EDD
Good luck.

Old 03-13-2013, 11:54 PM

4,400 posts, read 13,402,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
California has a huge section on Voluntary Quit. Based on OP's comment, personal reasons, it would appear he has read that. California can allow a quit where other states won't. Without knowing his specific reasons, no one can say for sure. He will have to explain it.

Voluntary Quit - Table of Contents
And it is still a VERY high bar. Yes, it exists. Without getting into too much detail, the position that I quit and got benefits for LITERALLY caused me to spend a night in the hospital for what turned out to be a panic attack. I was flat out told that if I had not been hospitalized, I would have lost the claim. And this is from the EDD rep conducting the interview. So, while the personal reasons does exist, the bar is whether or not a "reasonable person would have quit in the same or similar circumstances" and also what OP did to preserve the job. I was asked if I asked for any accommodations from the company after the panic attack. Really. Luckily, I had....

OP, post your reason...or DM it to one of us...we MAY be able to help you on what to tell them to get the reason approved

Old 03-26-2013, 11:45 AM

3 posts, read 2,322 times
Hi everyone! I got laid off on December 2012 but actually I've never signed any paper related to lay off, the company said just temporary , it's been 3 months now, it seems the company has no sign of reopen. I got my EDD ok, but the company still owe me the vacation hours which I can rollover up to 240 hrs, now I have 160 hrs left, I call to ask for my check and they said they will pay as soon as they have money. So if I start a new job, does it affect my ability to get that check? Does anyone have any idea, please help!! I live in LA California, thank you!

Old 03-26-2013, 04:43 PM

25,574 posts, read 56,533,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quyentg View Post
the company still owe me the vacation hours which I can rollover up to 240 hrs, now I have 160 hrs left, I call to ask for my check and they said they will pay as soon as they have money. So if I start a new job, does it affect my ability to get that check?
Of course not. A new job has absolutely nothing to do with what your old employer owes you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment