Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2013, 05:06 PM

2,533 posts, read 4,604,417 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nj8668 View Post
I'm going on an assumption that I put that money in there over all the years that I worked.
Per the previous post the amount you paid over the years (.385% of your income) pales in comparison to what your employer paid.

It's like 3 of the 50 states where employees pay into UI like you did... In the other 47 UI is 100% employer funded.

In short... unemployment is not social security.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2013, 05:22 AM

10 posts, read 13,289 times
I have no idea how it's calculated (that's for the info!) the poster before me said that I wouldn't be paid because I only worked a month. I was trying to explain the reason why I would get paid. (and I did get paid)My wife, on the other hand, only works PT and gets to collect during the summer (she works as an aide in a school) she only "banks" about $1500 a year and she uses it all up in the summer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chyvan View Post
I'm not so sure that you were eligible for UI against the second job after having only worked there a month. I don't think you'll be seeing any money until you receive a favorable decision from this appeal.
Since I was paid for the second job after it sat pending for so long because of my first appeal, I (again) assumed that they made a decision and released my UI. But 3 weeks later and still no letter.

Old 04-16-2013, 05:35 AM

10,048 posts, read 18,076,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nj8668 View Post
Since I was paid for the second job after it sat pending for so long because of my first appeal, I (again) assumed that they made a decision and released my UI. But 3 weeks later and still no letter.
Well, clearly something went wrong with the letter that they supposedly sent, since it doesn't take 3 weeks to get ANYWHERE. Has your address changed? Did they definitely send it to the correct place?

I'd be calling and letting them know that the letter STILL has not arrived. Better yet, I'd go in person.

Old 04-17-2013, 12:50 PM

Called my local UI and they said they will resend the letter. She wouldn't tell me the decision! ugh...So I wait again.

And no, my address has not changed, nothing has. And the address they have is correct.

Old 04-17-2013, 02:17 PM

14,500 posts, read 31,083,682 times
Hopefully, your UI mail works as fast as mine did. If they mail it today, you'll get it tomorrow, and will still have time to deal with it before another day slips by.

Old 04-20-2013, 01:43 PM

Got it! and I WON! Taking it to my local office on Monday. What a long drawn out process.

Old 04-22-2013, 08:18 PM

1 posts, read 1,171 times
NJ Unemployment! I waited more than three weeks, i waited over a year. They messed up my appeal, but just a month ago, i had another appeal and won again. It took two weeks to get the reply and now i'm inundated with mail duplicates for one week in late 2010. I finally got a notice showing a direct deposit but it is to a bank other than mine! Now, i'll probably have to wait another two years because I've never been able to get through by phone. I called today and it was a three and half hour wait. Anyone know how to get through. Someone else has my money!
Are employees making these mistakes? Is it being stolen!

Old 04-22-2013, 08:42 PM

25,580 posts, read 56,488,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyer-2013 View Post
Anyone know how to get through. Someone else has my money!
Are employees making these mistakes? Is it being stolen!
No one is stealing your money.

Go to a NJ One-Stop office near you. These offices have phone banks. You should be able to get through to a rep very quickly.

Department of Labor and Workforce Development | One-Stop Career Centers

Old 01-27-2014, 01:08 PM

11 posts, read 17,415 times
Hi. I won my appeal (received the letter from the Tribunal), and I am wondering what to do next to receive the back-pay I'm owed. I tried calling the One-Stop office near me and they referred me to the main NJ Unemployment hotline, which I can never get through on.

I know it takes a little time (it's been almost three weeks since I got my letter), but do I just sit and wait, or is there something I need to do??

Thanks for your help!

Old 01-27-2014, 04:02 PM

25,580 posts, read 56,488,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattrg View Post
I know it takes a little time (it's been almost three weeks since I got my letter), but do I just sit and wait, or is there something I need to do??
Give NJ another week. Two-three weeks is not a long time for NJ. Takes about a month or so, from what people report here. Much depends on how much you are owed, as well. NJ probably preorders funds for some payouts, so can take a while. Keep checking your online claim status. At some point it will change. If you are able to get through on the phones, ask if you can fax in the decision to speed things up. Usually, about the time that happens, however, you get paid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment