Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2011, 08:16 PM

25,580 posts, read 56,488,147 times

Advertisements

Well, now I've heard it all. Without going into a lot of detail at this point, I learned today the employer to whom I had submitted an application for a job tailor-made for me, received so many applications (300) that each was given a number and run through the computer which randomly chose 50 applicants for interview and written examination. The other 250 applicants got letters saying they were not moving forward in the recruitment process. I was one of the 250.

Before I learned of this lottery, I had raised cain with a few people I knew because I could not understand how my qualifications could be ignored to the point I wouldn't at least be granted an interview, and threatened age discrimination. These people made inquiries and told me about the lottery. HR Dept. at this employer has approximately 2 people, is under severe budget pressure and could not review 300 applications, as this is not the only open position they are dealing with. At the suggestion of one of my contacts, I left a VM for the HR person tonight telling them in a very pleasant tone of voice, among other things, this method certainly did not assure them of the best candidate. One of my contacts, an EEOC trial attorney with connections to this employer, said the job was tailor-made for me. Then he asked me if wanted to file a complaint. Haha. I said, no, I just wanted the job.

I am not letting this die, because this is a perfect position for me. Permanent part-time - and I want it.

Last edited by Ariadne22; 01-31-2011 at 08:34 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2011, 09:23 PM

621 posts, read 2,326,582 times
insane

Old 01-31-2011, 09:35 PM

4,585 posts, read 12,366,662 times
Sad, but I'm so not surprised at anything anymore. I can't tell you how many resumes and applications I've sent over the last 2 1/2 years that I thought I was a shoe in for the job, most times I didn't even get an interview. I do hope your perseverance pays off.

Old 02-01-2011, 07:11 AM

141 posts, read 362,608 times
Ridiculous and unprofessional. You really want to work for a company like this?

Old 02-01-2011, 07:18 AM

87 posts, read 652,169 times
Maybe you can push past this "lottery", by sending an articulate letter to the appropriate person. If you state your case as to why you're the perfect candidate for the job, that effort alone might distinguish you enough to at least grant you an interview. In any case, it won't hurt to try.

Old 02-01-2011, 07:26 AM

126 posts, read 467,671 times
Call the local news. Let them know that this is the kind of stuff that is happening now. It seems like it could very well be skirting the line of legal, certainly of ethical. Good luck to you.

Old 02-01-2011, 08:12 AM

1,296 posts, read 2,226,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grrr View Post
Maybe you can push past this "lottery", by sending an articulate letter to the appropriate person. If you state your case as to why you're the perfect candidate for the job, that effort alone might distinguish you enough to at least grant you an interview. In any case, it won't hurt to try.
I doubt that sending a letter will help. If this company is engaging in these kinds of shenanigans, then the applicant should just move on. Why should he or she waste anymore of their precious time, on a company that practics such lunacy in their hiring process??

Old 02-10-2011, 05:32 AM

1,245 posts, read 2,211,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MASSun View Post
Call the local news. Let them know that this is the kind of stuff that is happening now. It seems like it could very well be skirting the line of legal, certainly of ethical. Good luck to you.
I'd do this and move on, sadly. What is wrong with people and why do such knuckleheads have high-paying jobs with such little decision-making ability?

Old 02-10-2011, 06:11 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,206,701 times
There's really nothing anyone can do, an employer can choose their new hires any way they want as long as they don't discriminate against a protected class. Still, that's ridiculous, they could be missing out on the best
people by not even looking at the applications. My most recent opening resulted in just about 100 applicants and I personally reviewed them all as the hiring manager, and then discussed my decisions with HR. We'll end up interviewing 10, which is every one that met the minimum requirements.

Old 02-10-2011, 04:45 PM

25,580 posts, read 56,488,147 times
Well, this was municipal civil service. Had a long talk with HR manager ten days ago who couldn't have been nicer and said she would send me a registration form. They often use temps and it isn't necessary to use the civil service protocol for that. (No discussion of how I, as an individual, could work as a temp, btw, without a lot of paperwork.)

She also said there was a good probability the job I had applied for would be filled internally, but they have to go into the market for candidates to compare them to the internal candidates. I told her using the lottery system certainly didn't do that.

When I hung up, I knew she was blowing smoke. Nice as pie because I'm a taxpayer after all. But NOTHING has come in the mail and I don't expect it to.

And, I'm paying her salary. I am writing the Alderman/EEOC Atty again to let him know his and my efforts accomplished nothing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment