Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-28-2020, 07:51 PM

19 posts, read 12,721 times

Advertisements

Hello I accepted a job offer that was sent to me that I am now having second thoughts about, my hiring is based on passing an initial assessment that may take weeks and I can be dropped if I don't pass, I don't want to risk my UI over this.

I had already signed a bunch of forms and they already put me in their database I'm sure this is a local county job, what are my options here in getting out of this?

Old 01-28-2020, 09:53 PM

14,500 posts, read 31,089,688 times
It's going to be a "refusal of work." Whether you get to keep your UI will depend on some factors.

What was your prior job vs this job? Duties, pay, hours, schedule, and benefits.

Is it too far?

How long have you been on UI?

It sounds like you're worried about, "I can be dropped if I don't pass." What do you mean by that? That wouldn't be my fear. That sounds like at worst to be a pain Jane nondisqualifying separation, or at best it means they rescind the offer, and then you get to avoid the "refusal of work" adjudication.

I want more details because I don't think this is as bleak as you think it is.

Old 01-29-2020, 10:13 AM

13,131 posts, read 21,011,866 times
Can you clarify:
Are you saying you applied for this job, knew the duties, location, schedule and pay, was given a legitimate offer, accepted that offer, completed their new hire forms, but are now deciding maybe it's not for you? If so, that's a hard one to overcome, BUT, you also said passing an "initial assessment". What is this "initial assessment" and a how is it related to your employment (meaning are you hired and this is actually a probationary period, or is it a actual skills test, or do you get this assessment before yuo are actually hired)?

Old 01-29-2020, 04:26 PM

Basically its a government job that requires attending a school for some time and passing tests in order to be hired for the position, my previous positions were private. My main concern question is if they will report me as a new hire to UI if I haven't yet began working for them yet.
Im also interviewing for other jobs that I feel I may be a better fit for.

Old 01-29-2020, 04:43 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,648,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hairlesspanda View Post
Basically its a government job that requires attending a school for some time and passing tests in order to be hired for the position, my previous positions were private. My main concern question is if they will report me as a new hire to UI if I haven't yet began working for them yet.
Well since they're not the ones paying your UI I don't think you have to worry about declining.

Maybe you can call up UI from a phone other than yours and just ask a generic question as to what qualifies turning down a job.

Old 01-29-2020, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Well since they're not the ones paying your UI I don't think you have to worry about declining.

Maybe you can call up UI from a phone other than yours and just ask a generic question as to what qualifies turning down a job.
That's a good idea, Im only 2 months into my UI claim. Getting ahold of a rep is another issue entirely though.

Old 01-29-2020, 05:50 PM

13,131 posts, read 21,011,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hairlesspanda View Post
Again, you need to be clear! Will you be getting paid to attend that training or is it on you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
That's not how it works. There is no exclusion because an offer wasn't from someone paying your benefits. it's actually just the opposite. You can get a free pass on a refusal if the offer was from the employer that terminated you, but an unrelated employer offer has nothing to do with this.

Old 01-30-2020, 12:04 PM

I made a mistake applying for this job, drastically different industry than what I used to work for which in retrospect makes me realize I am not a fit for.
Its training is paid for and a skills test is done where passing is a requirement. Would I be best off reporting refusing a job or just not reporting certification for that period?

Old 01-30-2020, 01:13 PM

14,500 posts, read 31,089,688 times
You MUST compare this job to your LAST job, or we can't help you. You can't sit there and say, "I'm not going to be a good fit." That is NOT a correct reason. The EMPLOYER is the one that gets to make that call.

https://www.edd.ca.gov/UIBDG/Suitabl...ngorExperience

"Occasionally a claimant will refuse a referral or offer of work on the basis that he or she lacks sufficient experience or training to handle the offered job. Seldom will a claimant have good cause for refusing a job because he or she feels unqualified. This is usually for the employer to decide."

Last edited by Chyvan; 01-30-2020 at 01:27 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment