Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2012, 02:44 PM

13 posts, read 15,513 times

Advertisements

I live in Wisconsin. Okay, so last week was the last week in the quarter and I recieved my unemployment as normal. (That was my first week on EUC tier 3.) This week I've recieved several letters. The first told me I am not eligible for UI insurance. My claim that I submitted on Sunday online is "pending." Today I just recieved two letters asking me to submit my wages. Here's my question. I do have two employers to report wages on (which I also reported on my weekly claim certifications.) These wages for 01/2012-03/31/2012 total $2500 because I did a contract job for the school district. That employment is now over and I have just the one part time job that I'm reporting. Is this going to screw things up for me? Will they just put me back on tier 3 and let me finish collecting that? I'm worried about this delay and paperwork.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2012, 02:57 PM

25,574 posts, read 56,512,015 times
WI is doing a normal quarterly evaluation because you are collecting EUC. The fact that you reported wages which are not in the system as yet (I assume), is why they are asking you for documentation.

WI may use the alternate base period which includes earnings through 3/31/2012 to establish new claim eligibility.
Quote:
If you do not have enough wages to qualify for a claim using the base period described above, an "alternate base period" will be used. The alternate base period will be the four most recently completed calendar quarters before the week you filed your initial claim application for a new benefit year.

Computing UI Benefit Entitlement
Minimum earnings for new claim eligibility are $1,350. Your contract job exceeded that. Therefore, there is a good possibility WI may establish a new claim for you, combining those earnings with any unused earnings in the base period from your earlier claim, unless that contract job was paid on 1099 and not W2 with the normal payroll tax withholdings, or there is a loophole in that language which will allow WI to ignore the earnings from Jan-Mar.

If a new claim is established with a benefit 25% or $100 lower than the benefit from your current claim, under HR4213 you can request a deferral of payment on the new state benefit claim until you have exhausted your EUC benefits from the earlier claim.

This may take a week or two to resolve. Let us know what happens.

Old 04-09-2012, 03:09 PM

I just spoke with a claim representative. He told me to mail in the wage reporting sheet and that because these earnings were not until the first quarter of 2012, I should be able to resume collecting my remaining tier 3 benefits. We shall see what happens. Thank you for your reply. I was worried because these quarter earnings were higher.

Old 04-09-2012, 03:14 PM

I wonder if that agent is aware of the ABP. Let's hope WI ignores the ABP b/c your evaluation is being done on 4/2 and not 4/9.

Let us know what happens.

Old 04-09-2012, 03:54 PM

What is abp?

Old 04-09-2012, 03:59 PM

Alternate Base Period - see quote in my earlier post.

Old 04-09-2012, 04:32 PM

ah. yes. he did say that those wages would be high enough to create a new claim but that because I didn't work in 2011 and my original claim is from 2010 I would be diverted to resume collecting the remainder of tier 3. I mailed out my wage sheets this afternoon and I will be calling again on Friday if my claim is still pending online.

Old 04-11-2012, 01:01 PM

I keep getting paperwork from the UI office. Today was a letter stating that my eligibility for a new benefit year has yet to be determined. I had by BYE in January. Why are they even trying to determine this now at the end of the first quarter?

Sent in my wage reportings and they sent it back stating they needed more details. What a mess. Just want to get back on tier 3 and finish that off as I have full time work starting in June.

Old 04-11-2012, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackad23 View Post
I keep getting paperwork from the UI office. Today was a letter stating that my eligibility for a new benefit year has yet to be determined. I had by BYE in January. Why are they even trying to determine this now at the end of the first quarter?
Because you are collecting EUC and EUC regs require quarterly evaluations for new state claim eligibility, as I told you here:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
WI is doing a normal quarterly evaluation because you are collecting EUC.

If a new claim is established with a benefit 25% or $100 lower than the benefit from your current claim, under HR4213 you can request a deferral of payment on the new state benefit claim until you have exhausted your EUC benefits from the earlier claim.

This may take a week or two to resolve. Let us know what happens.
Govt doesn't want to use its money if claimant qualifies for state money. But, again, HR4213 is a protection against a newer claim small benefit.

Old 04-13-2012, 06:35 AM

Just a small update. I mailed in my wage reportings this week. I've heard nothing. Online my claim still says "pending." However, there was a payment that was direct deposited to my bank account from the UI office today (friday) and it was exactly $100 less than what my normal payments were before. I'm not sure what's going on. I'll probably make a call this afternoon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment