Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2012, 09:06 AM

74 posts, read 375,392 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I'm currently about halfway through my initial 23 weeks of state unemployment. As I understand it, if I don't find a job after this I'll go onto the EUC tiered benefits, but nomatter how many weeks currently eligible for, the last payment will be Dec 29th when the EUC program expires, right?

As the economy is clearly not getting any better, will there be any move at some point to further extend the EUC program, or has the firm decision been made in stone that the end of 2012 is totally and utterly the end of EUC?

Old 06-09-2012, 09:15 AM

6,896 posts, read 22,528,515 times
It all depends on any new legislation and the general feel is that extensions will not extend into 2013.

Old 06-09-2012, 09:37 AM

Thanks. Wow....I just can't really fathom how it is a good idea in any way to cold cut millions of people on the same day.

Old 06-09-2012, 09:59 AM

878 posts, read 1,653,473 times
I wouldn't bet on an extension into 2013.

EB will be gone in all states this year and tiers are being phased out already... an extension may still happen but it won't be like the previous. The unemployed need to prepare for it now. IMHO 79/99 weeks is a bit long for UI benefits and I think the government would agree.

If you can't find a job in a year maybe you should lower your standards. Not trying to sound harsh but UI isn't welfare.

Old 06-09-2012, 10:46 AM

7,474 posts, read 7,034,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwanger View Post
Thanks. Wow....I just can't really fathom how it is a good idea in any way to cold cut millions of people on the same day.
Because the sociopaths in charge don't care about the millions they've put out of work, and they *need* us to all drop dead and go away to get the unemployment numbers down. Once benefits run out for a person, he no longer count as unemployed even if he's still out of work and trying to find a job.

This is part of the plan to convince people of "The Recovery" and give them all the impression that our leaders (from both parties) actual have a clue how to fix this nation's problems... it also lets arrogant people blame the unemployed for the current mess, which is a popular stance these days.

Old 06-09-2012, 11:19 AM

11 posts, read 108,264 times
I see it as very unlikely, as previous poster stated, they are already trimming the Federal EUC Tiers I, II, III & IV, ie, higher unemployment % rate requirements for each Tier according to the state you are in & the # of weeks allowed in some of the Tiers. Plus the Extended Benefits have in fact, in most states, fallen off the requirement formula to stay on it. I believe there are only 5 or 6 states maximum on Extended Benefits now, the rest have fallen off, this started the first of this year. You can see where this is going...

This is an election year remember, I believe they kept the benefits going through this year because of it & at the same time, you have alot of people that haven't gone through losing their job or a severe paycut YET, that feel & state the length of time the federal unemployment benefit programs are way too long, so there are 2 sides in this. I, however, have learned through life, until you walk in someone elses shoes... I also realize, can't keep spending taxpayer money the federal government doesn't have. Yet I believe they will keep spending in many other wasteful areas anyways & keep sending ALOT of our taxpayer money to other countries & wasteful projects within our own country, even as I type this.

Both my husband & I were laid off, different times during this recession. He was laid off in January 2008, myself, in January 2011. My husband finally found another job after 11 months, for alot less money, BUT grateful for the job regardless. Myself, I am still looking & maybe starting 2 part-time businesses instead, because finding even entry level full-time jobs is very difficult & hugely competitive because of the number of applicants looking. Not impossible, but very difficult. Fortunately, we lived within our means through the years & have done without, have cut back even further through this time in order to make it.

My heart goes out to everyone who has been going through this & continues to go through this. I believe this is the new "Norm" in this country. If you are aware of what Europe has been going through now for quite sometime, with their high unemployment rates in many of their countries & how shakey several of their countries economies are, you can see the U.S. following suit unfortunately...

Old 06-09-2012, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRC2k11 View Post
If you can't find a job in a year maybe you should lower your standards. Not trying to sound harsh but UI isn't welfare.
I agree with that to some extent...I'm personally still hoping I do find a job before my state UI benefits even expire. But on the other hand, I can also see how some people are left in the dust through no fault of their own - the whole thing is a mess, whichever way you skin it, our economy is failing big time.

And besides, say someone is laid off, gets their 23 weeks of state UI up till December....then they are completely cold cut in Jan along with millions of others. Not like they've "Had a year" there is it...

Old 06-09-2012, 12:09 PM

878 posts, read 1,653,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwanger View Post
I agree with that to some extent...I'm personally still hoping I do find a job before my state UI benefits even expire. But on the other hand, I can also see how some people are left in the dust through no fault of their own - the whole thing is a mess, whichever way you skin it, our economy is failing big time.

And besides, say someone is laid off, gets their 23 weeks of state UI up till December....then they are completely cold cut in Jan along with millions of others. Not like they've "Had a year" there is it...
That's correct... and 26 weeks (and less than that in states like yours) is what it used to be before the economy went south. People got laid off, they had 6 months to find a job.

Is there a good fix for the economy at present? I don't know... I'm not an economics major. I do think though that just because someone can't find a job that they should be supported by the government for 2 years. The current UI system doesn't push the unemployed to find work... I was out of work 14 months and you know how long I had to spend each week in a job search?

10-15 minutes. I could pull up Career Builder... click a few buttons and tada... my $330 for that week was secured. The system needs to be changed.

I feel bad for you because you are in a horrible state... Florida. High unemployment and doesn't favor the job seeker at all. My former state, Georgia, isn't any better. They recently passed similar cutbacks to the UI system even though the statewide UI rate is like 10%... and in some areas 12%.

Old 06-09-2012, 12:19 PM

398 posts, read 1,365,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRC2k11 View Post
That's correct... and 26 weeks (and less than that in states like yours) is what it used to be before the economy went south. People got laid off, they had 6 months to find a job.

Is there a good fix for the economy at present? I don't know... I'm not an economics major. I do think though that just because someone can't find a job that they should be supported by the government for 2 years. The current UI system doesn't push the unemployed to find work... I was out of work 14 months and you know how long I had to spend each week in a job search?

10-15 minutes. I could pull up Career Builder... click a few buttons and tada... my $330 for that week was secured. The system needs to be changed.

I feel bad for you because you are in a horrible state... Florida. High unemployment and doesn't favor the job seeker at all. My former state, Georgia, isn't any better. They recently passed similar cutbacks to the UI system even though the statewide UI rate is like 10%... and in some areas 12%.
Everyone's circumstances are different and many unemployed who spent just as much time as yourself... or a lot more time... looking for a job may not have been as lucky as you and needed to collect for a longer period than you have.

There are those who found employment in less than 3 months who think anyone who collected even Tier 1 must have been lazy and not trying hard enough.
Apparently, you also needed additional unemployment tiers that others did not need... so it is not fair to set a limit for someone else based upon your own circumstances if you wouldn't want someone else to judge how much UI you collected based on what they needed.

I certainly know people that I've formerly worked with who are still unemployed even though I've found another job. I'll admit that some of them looked harder for another job than I did and even though some applied for the same job positions I have, but for some reason I ended up being hired. I consider myself an intelligent and good employee but hardly superior to any of them. They have also applied to lower end jobs I myself would not bothered to, and were considered over-qualified.

In the end, we should not judge anyone or assume anything about those whose circumstances are unknown to us.

Last edited by raymond2; 06-09-2012 at 12:55 PM..

Old 06-09-2012, 12:38 PM

7,474 posts, read 7,034,396 times
Keep in mind that the unemployed are up against not only a lack of jobs, but other nonsense: no unemployed need apply, age discrimination, resume black-holes that are designed to prevent anyone from being "qualified" for the position, and so on.

It's all hit or miss these days. One might get lucky and find that one's specific narrow skillset is still in demand and that there are companies out there that are actually hiring vs. window-shopping and playing games. Or, one could discover that the industry one was in is now basically dead and, thanks to the automated systems, getting a job anywhere else is nearly impossible.

As for taking work that's "beneath you," yeah, I tried that. I tried tech writing - the interviewers didn't understand why I applied and I wasn't taken seriously. I tried being a lab tech... same result, "You have an engineering background - why are you here?" I even tried local manufacturing companies since I'm a mechanical engineer... but I don't have years of setting up specific CNC lathes or milling machines, so that idea went nowhere.

Every dang jobs these days is so narrow in scope, and nobody is willing to give a guy a chance or - heaven forbid! - spend any time or money on training. Barring some miracle, I'll be locked into the one thing I've spent the past 10 years doing, right down the specific CAD tool, for the rest of my laughable "career."

The people in charge are just interested in making the problems go away, and the quickest way to do that is to end UE benefits. Everyone falls off the roles, UE plummets, and the nation's problems are "solved!"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment