Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-01-2012, 05:12 AM

373 posts, read 644,081 times

Advertisements

I am having a really crappy employment year. Last November my job announced the were outsourcing and closing the office. All 15 employees were going to be laid off. I had a friend that got me a job at her company. I worked there fine for 7 months until I got a new manager. She hated me and fired me her second week there.

I spent two weeks job hunting and found another job. This job sent me for training to be licensed. Right before my three month mark, I noticed the exact ad I responded to and he laid me off a couple days later. He said he needed to hire a salesperson. While I agree I am not good at selling, this still leaves me jobless.

I don't even know what type of job to look for. I think I should go back to accounting as that is the job I had the most luck keeping. I have not found luck in the new career.

What is the trick to finding a job and keeping it long term? I also lost my free daycare so now need to find a salary that covers the bils and daycare. Any thoughts on what direction to take? I do not want to go to college. I do not have the drive or time to make that a successful endeavor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2012, 05:44 AM

6,345 posts, read 8,119,844 times
The key is improving the job hunting skills.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/26944891-post8.html

Old 12-01-2012, 12:53 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,016,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty12 View Post
I am having a really crappy employment year. Last November my job announced the were outsourcing and closing the office. All 15 employees were going to be laid off. I had a friend that got me a job at her company. I worked there fine for 7 months until I got a new manager. She hated me and fired me her second week there.

I spent two weeks job hunting and found another job. This job sent me for training to be licensed. Right before my three month mark, I noticed the exact ad I responded to and he laid me off a couple days later. He said he needed to hire a salesperson. While I agree I am not good at selling, this still leaves me jobless.

I don't even know what type of job to look for. I think I should go back to accounting as that is the job I had the most luck keeping. I have not found luck in the new career.

What is the trick to finding a job and keeping it long term? I also lost my free daycare so now need to find a salary that covers the bils and daycare. Any thoughts on what direction to take? I do not want to go to college. I do not have the drive or time to make that a successful endeavor.

The key to finding and keeping a job appears to be getting working at a for profit company and building good working relationships with your supervisor and coworkers.

That's my opinion

Old 12-01-2012, 01:11 PM

4,400 posts, read 13,394,577 times
While I do not have direct experience in non-profit, I do have friends who work for them, and volunteer for one that does not lose staff, so I am not sure about that.

But I will say a good relationship with the people you work with it sort of a no-brainer. Yes, it is important to be good at your job...but if you are a nightmare to work with, they will fine someone else who is also good at the job but that does not cause the office staff to run and hide.

Old 12-01-2012, 07:23 PM

373 posts, read 644,081 times
I am a people person and get along great with coworkers. Many of my prior coworkers are still friends of mine I converse with regularly. Even from jobs I had 15 years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment