Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2013, 09:30 PM

10 posts, read 16,120 times

Advertisements

I am in California. I exhausted my Tier 2 extension benefits on the week ending 12/22/12. I thought I would seamlessly transition into Tier 3, and at least get a claim form for the week of 12/23-12/29, the week before the extensions were set to expire. I didn't receive a claim form for that week, nor a notice that I have transitioned into Tier 3. I did receive a letter stating, "Your extension is exhausted. You may be eligible for another extension. No action is needed on your part. If you are eligible, it will be automatically filed for you, you will be notified by mail, and you will be mailed claim forms."

I thought that maybe I would be able to certify on 1/6/13 for the two weeks of 12/23-12/29 and 12/30-1/5. I, however, did not receive a claim form or any notice that I had transitioned into Tier 3. From reading the EDD website, it seems like I should still be eligible for 9 additional weeks in Tier 3, and if needed, 10 extended weeks in Tier 4.

My first question is am I right to believe I am eligible for up to 19 total weeks (Tiers 3 & 4) beginning the week of 12/23/12? If so, would there be any reason why I wouldn't be eligible to transition to Tier 3? I've attended all necessary appointments, and have completed the job search requirements (and then some!). Or if it might simply be something that EDD has messed up on their end, and that I might have to go through the dreaded process of trying to get through to them on the phone?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2013, 09:45 PM

25,603 posts, read 56,686,592 times
No matter what, you are eligible for Tier 3.

AZ has posted on its website that until it receives guidelines from the BLS, it will not be paying EUC.

So, it may be CA is doing this, as well. The legislation was only signed into law on Wednesday. There may be delays in resuming payments for a week or so until the states receive official notifications on implementation.

However, I would have thought you would have at least received a claim form for the week ending 12/29. The other possibility is your claim has expired and you need to recertify.

When is your benefit year end?

Old 01-05-2013, 10:09 PM

Thank you for your prompt response. My BYE was 10/20/12. I believe I received a letter stating that the EDD attempted to re-certify on my behalf, but I did not qualify for a new claim. That is also around the time when I went to the re-eligibility assessment interview, and submitted all my necessary paperwork. I assume that all went smoothly, as I continued to receive all of my Tier 2 payments up until 12/22, when Tier 2 was exhausted.

I am lucky enough to have set some funds aside in the event there was no new legislation signed into place, but those are certainly finite. I am hoping that the transition into Tier 3 is as seamless as my first two tiers, and your reply that I am eligible for Tier 3 no matter what has me a bit more at ease, but I am also puzzled and concerned that I did not receive anything prior to 12/29 stating that I was beginning tier 3, nor a claim form for the week ending 12/29.

The EDD website and phone recording states that federal EUC customers need not contact them, and I'm hoping that is the case.

Thank you again for your time and courtesy Ariadne22.

Old 01-05-2013, 10:40 PM

You not only had a tier transition, but the legislation expired. Double whammy. Give it a bit more time. CA has about 2 million claimants. Every one who is on EUC is affected - probably at least 650,000 people, if not more.

Also, CA does biweekly claims. It probably didn't want to send out a claim form for one week only when it was pretty certain legislation would be passed. You should be receiving your biweekly claim forms in a week or so, I would think - and, maybe, a letter. I'm sure they're in a mess right now. You clearly won't be able to claim the past two weeks tomorrow. Plan on a delay of a week or more before you get your money.

Check the CA website next week off and on for updates. Of, if you have patience, try calling. Good hints on the last few pages, here:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/unemp...alifornia.html

Old 01-05-2013, 10:48 PM

19 posts, read 61,484 times
Yea I have a feeling CA is a real mess. I was six weeks into Tier 1 when we crossed the 12-29-12 mark and I just received a letter today from the CA EDD postmarked 1-3-13 advising that the Federal Extensions have ended. It gave my remaining balance (for tier 1 only) and some stuff about filing a new claim if applicable.

It appears to be a form letter that was set to go out to all EUC beneficiaries before congress acted. Since they extended the EUC benefits essentially over the holiday (new year's), at least here in CA I highly doubt that this letter is up to date.
The EDD website says they will be able to seamlessly transition everyone who was receiving EUC benefits but thats a LOT of folks here in CA.

A quick scan of the interwebz tells me I merely one of many who got this letter. I think all EUC folks here in CA got one but we can probably disregard it, since obviously the Federal Extensions have indeed NOT ended.

Old 01-05-2013, 10:51 PM

I also read on the CA EDD website that a small percentage of folks that are transitioning from one tier to the other might not have this done automatically and to contact EDD if one hasn't received a claim form within ten days of the last payment. I suppose that includes me. I will attempt to give them a call and see if I can get through. Bad enough trying during normal circumstances, but now with the legislation newly in place, who knows. I'll try out those hints and see what happens.

Old 01-05-2013, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Zilcho View Post
I also read on the CA EDD website that a small percentage of folks that are transitioning from one tier to the other might not have this done automatically and to contact EDD if one hasn't received a claim form within ten days of the last payment. I suppose that includes me. I will attempt to give them a call and see if I can get through. Bad enough trying during normal circumstances, but now with the legislation newly in place, who knows. I'll try out those hints and see what happens.
What they're referring to, as well as tier transitions, probably, are those whose state benefits ended 12/29. They missed the cutoff date of 12/22 to automatically transition to EUC.

So, CA needs to now establish EUC for those people, as well as do tier transitions for others (you), and then do simple things like continue to pay regular state and tier benefits, as well as process byes.

More than enough to give a computer programmer a headache.

Old 01-05-2013, 10:59 PM

SoSee,

I did not receive that letter. I'm starting to wonder if I'm still on their grid lol.

A friend of mine did receive the letter, and is also in tier 1. She called telecert just to check out if there was an update on when she may be able to certify and it stated that the next date for her to certify is 1-13-13.

However, when I call to check the same thing, I get the message that I cannot telecert at this time. I figured as much since I am transitioning tiers and have not received anything in the mail verifying that I am now in tier 3. It then goes through a list of a few reasons why I might not be able to telecert, of which none of them apply to me, and then asks me to fill out the paper claim form and mail it in, of which I never received.

Old 01-05-2013, 11:14 PM

19 posts, read 61,484 times
El Zilcho,
I just called the Tele-Cert line and it tells me that the next date I can Certify is 1-13-13 as well.

It sounds like you are right in that grey area between tiers. Don't let them lose you. How is your Vietnamese? If you write down the procedure to navigate to a rep on the english line, you can call the Vietnamese line and listen for the pauses then hit the same digits. It might take a couple tries but I have done it twice now and met with success at reaching a live pulse having human both times.

My take on this is that they programmed the system to blast out those letters before they all hit the road for the new year holiday and nobody remembered to stop them upon coming back or...they couldn't stop them and they all got mailed anyway.
It would be nice if they tossed a little note on their website about them so folks don't freak.

I will worry if I don't see a continued claim form or if I cannot certify by tele-cert on the 13th.

Old 01-05-2013, 11:26 PM

Unfortunately, my Vietnamese is non existent. I see some tips on how to get through on the Vietnamese line, and will probably give that a shot on Monday.

I agree that you probably don't need to worry until there is no claim form sent this week and/or if you can't certify on the 13th.

Good luck to you, me, and all the rest of us!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment