Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2017, 09:39 PM

1 posts, read 550 times

Advertisements

After i apply how long is it before i get my first check
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2017, 12:00 AM

14,500 posts, read 31,083,682 times
6 to 8 weeks most of the time. It depends a lot on WHY you lost your job that controls how quickly NJ does things.

Old 01-30-2018, 03:09 PM

1 posts, read 451 times
I was receiving unemployment in June 2013-December2013 and still have a balance of 2,744.00 remaining...Is it too late too reclaim my remainding benefits

Old 01-30-2018, 03:12 PM

Yes.

Old 01-30-2018, 03:15 PM

13,130 posts, read 21,001,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaddyH View Post
I was receiving unemployment in June 2013-December2013 and still have a balance of 2,744.00 remaining...Is it too late too reclaim my remainding benefits
2013? That money is long gone! Assuming you started receiving benefits on June 1 2013, your benefit year to claim that money ended May 31, 2014. It's now gone, wiped away, pooof!

Old 02-01-2018, 12:26 PM

5 posts, read 1,723 times
Default Newly unemployed question

Hello
Recently laid off from a job in media sales due to downsizing.
Had a phone interview which lasted 4 minutes. They asked why separated i told them and he said okay they have 48 hours to call me and if you don’t hear from me expect a deposit in 5-7 days. It’s been 11 days and stays is still pended.
Does the examiner call all previous employers or just last one?
I was also let go about 7 months ago for a similar reason

Thanks

Old 02-01-2018, 01:26 PM

13,130 posts, read 21,001,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Design girl 4040 View Post
Hello
Had a phone interview which lasted 4 minutes. They asked why separated i told them and he said okay they have 48 hours to call me and if you don’t hear from me expect a deposit in 5-7 days. It’s been 11 days and stays is still pended.
Does the examiner call all previous employers or just last one?
I was also let go about 7 months ago for a similar reason

Thanks
Usually they go back to all employers in your qualifying base period (typically 18 months back from date of claim).

DO NOT assume the timing as given is factual. Claims take as long as claims take to be processed. Claims with a clean lay-off where the employer says clean lay off, get paid fastest. Those with a clean lay off but where the employer doesn't respond, can take a couple weeks longer (note there is a statutory time frame for the employer to respond and it's a lot longer than 48 hours). Those with issues over a quit or firing (even if not what a claimant thought) takes the longest. It will be what it will be.

Also, "days" as defined by you are not unemployment "days". They use some strange clock and calendar that was found in a space craft at Roswell, so it runs slow, fast, stops and turns backwards. Heck, most of the employees working for unemployment landed with that spacecraft.

Old 02-01-2018, 01:28 PM

Quote:
We've heard this too many times. Just because you think you were "laid off" doesn't mean that the employer didn't consider you dead weight and made a case for "misconduct." NJ doles out "simple" misconduct like candy.

I've seen UI paperwork where the employer said nothing more than, "fired for misconduct," result in "simple" even though that is not sufficient. It supposed to have details specifying the act(s) that you committed rather than a conclusion that it amounts to misconduct. That's just what happens in NJ.

You cannot ever expect to receive benefits from NJ until at least 6 to 8 weeks after your application date. At that point, then you can start worrying.

Old 02-01-2018, 01:45 PM

5 posts, read 1,723 times
Thank you both for your quick responses.
Crazy.....Company downsized, they loved me but basically could not "afford me" or any other employees.
Never thought UI would be such an issue.
I guess when the company credit card was declined and when they made us stay in friends homes for business travel instead of a hotel I should have found a new job fast lol!!

Old 02-01-2018, 02:02 PM

Quote:
could not "afford me" or any other employees.
If this is true, then they can't afford the cost of your UI claim either. People need to realize the employer that let you go eats the cost of your claim (not quite true in your case because you have multiple employers in your base period). It can save your employer a boatload of money to fight a UI claim especially when NJ makes it so easy to get an 8-week disqualification period. If you're desperate for money and look really hard for a job and get one before the 8-week disqualification period is over, then you collect nothing, and the employer just saved up to 8 X your weekly benefit amount.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment