Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2013, 10:28 PM

1 posts, read 9,137 times

Advertisements

I started receiving 450 a week in last November. Since I am coming up on my 6 month of benefits received, I assume that I will be getting filed for an automatic federal extension (I qualify based on what I have read). I have recently spoken to people that had to have a mandatory interview in person in order to get this extension. Is this true for everyone or just random? I have been job interviewing mostly on the east coast, so I would like to know if it is likely that I will have to come back to CA for this interview.

Also, it is possible to switch from mail in to webcert even-though I have been doing mail-in the last 5 months. I have heard it is easier to do it like this since once on fed extension you have fill out work search info on the mailin forms, but bot the web forms.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2013, 10:49 PM

15 posts, read 71,569 times
Yes you will have to come to the interview. I went once. They talk to people as a group as there are a lot of people who attend these.

Old 04-14-2013, 11:04 PM

25,580 posts, read 56,497,864 times
You will be scheduled for an REA assessment at some point after you begin EUC - if CA EDD still has a CA address for you. If you do get a notice, you must attend. You can call to reschedule. It is hit or miss if your benefits will continue if you reschedule. Usually, they stop.

That said, if you've already moved to the East Coast and CA knows this, very unlikely you'll be hearing from anyone on an REA. Most out-of-state CA claimants don't get REA notices.

In any event, you will be collecting EUC long before you hear from CA on an REA, so don't worry about continuation of benefits. You should transition to EUC without a problem.

I can't answer your Q on webcert. Some people from CA have said they use webcert and just keep a personal log of their jobs searches. CA has always paid them. Others say, you must use the claim forms b/c CA needs evidence of your job searches. Guess you could try webcert and stop mailing in forms. Worst case - your claim will be suspended and you'll have to call CA. Frankly, I wouldn't do it. I believe in letting sleeping dogs lie.

Old 04-15-2013, 05:54 AM

67 posts, read 229,634 times
i just had my REA Assessment for EUC about 3 weeks ago AFTER I had ended EUC and was on my 2nd claim (I went on EUC in January and collected until my BYE then filed a new claim March 3). It was a group interview and the instructor mentioned it was mandatory as they consider attendence the equivalent of being 'ready and available to accept all work" which basically is the same thing ie. if you're certifying that you are ready and avail for all work offered, you should be able to attend this (in their eyes).

As Ariadne22 says, if you have a CA address and did not notify them that you had moved, if indeed you have moved 'permanently', you very well may receive it. .. I know in my state if I move I have to notify them otherwise if I certify that I am avail and ready to accept all work offered and am not on island, it would be fraud. Not sure if thats' the case with you or how your state sees it.

I don't know about CA , but in my state, they specifically mentioned even just re scheduling 'could' hold up your following payments because they would investigage why you weren't able to attend, and the time of resolution is dependent on when they woudl be able to get to your case if there is a backlog.

Last edited by ajd96813; 04-15-2013 at 06:06 AM..

Old 05-24-2013, 07:10 PM

1 posts, read 8,909 times
I'm about to transition from UI to federal extension tier 1 in about 2 more weeks. My mom just did her last web cert for her UI and did not receive any money for the one week of tier 1. Is it normal to miss a week or two of pay during the transition? I can't even pay my bills in what I've been getting from UI so if I don't get any pay during the transition I'm really gonna be screwed! And it's not like I can just call EDD! It's almost impossible to get through in the phone and they just cut their customer service hours which makes it even more difficult to speak to someone.

Old 05-24-2013, 08:21 PM

25,580 posts, read 56,497,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSB4673 View Post
I'm about to transition from UI to federal extension tier 1 in about 2 more weeks. My mom just did her last web cert for her UI and did not receive any money for the one week of tier 1. Is it normal to miss a week or two of pay during the transition? I can't even pay my bills in what I've been getting from UI so if I don't get any pay during the transition I'm really gonna be screwed! And it's not like I can just call EDD! It's almost impossible to get through in the phone and they just cut their customer service hours which makes it even more difficult to speak to someone.
Yes, payment can be delayed a few days, possibly longer. You get all your money, it just may take a little longer because of the transition process. Better plan for it. If you're living check to check it's hard, but the computers at EDD have to go through their thing. There are over 400,000 people in CA collecting EUC right now. Tier transitions, sequester reductions, all of these processes complicate matters.

Old 05-26-2013, 08:28 AM

109 posts, read 424,416 times
I finally got tapped for an REA interview this month when I started EUC Tier 2 and it was both small group and one-on-one. The small group session came first then the one-on-one. If you do the skills assessment and watch the required EDD video before your REA session you get to skip the small group meeting.

You should know fellow Californians that they do check to see if you've done any job searches with CalJobs. I've searched CalJobs several times a weeks for the past couple of years and when EDD ran my job searches quite a few pages popped up. With their new system they even keep track of how many of those jobs you've applied for. So word to the wise use CalJobs on a weekly basis and sign up for "virtual recruiter" which runs job searches on a daily basis and e-mails you with the results. You might even get a job through CalJObs. Years ago I actually got a summer job through my local unemployment office. Never know.

Carol-Lynn

Old 05-26-2013, 11:02 AM

15,129 posts, read 32,339,266 times
I've never used CalJobs, and have never had a problem. My job searches don't come from CalJobs, because it's a waste of my time to look through it. I can provide EDD a spreadsheet from each month with the jobs that I apply for and the results, and none of them came from CalJobs.

The only time I use CalJobs, is when I get a letter to update my information. I go into it, take out my phone number, and put it back in. I had an REA two years ago, and it was a group session with over 20 people. I haven't heard from them since.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment