Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2013, 01:55 PM

5 posts, read 16,899 times

Advertisements

[SIZE=3][SIZE=2] worked at Kwik Trip for almost a year. I was fired due to a situation that happened:

I became ill while at work. I developed a cough so bad that I literally peed my pants a little (embarrassing). Prior to my pee accident customers did not want to come near me nor did coworkers. My coworker told me after my accident to go home we looked over the hours everyone else had to work during the week and there was no one available to cover the shift I would be leaving. We looked up the policy and it states "There is to be two people on duty at all times during third shift IN LESS OF AN EMERGENCY". My health state and cleanness was an emergency when working with the public and with food. I left a detailed note on my managers desk explaining what happened and why I left my shift and that my coworker insisted that I leave for safety reasons. Then I went home and slept. I woke up the next morning still ill and was supposed to work that night too. I do not like to miss work so I took as much medication for flu/cold/cough that I could and attended work the next night.

My manager came in when my shift was ending. She took me in the back and stated that I lied that my coworker did not recommend that I leave due to my health. I told her to review the cameras and to listen to the recording she takes of all conversation and noise that happens behind the counter with employees. She said she would but was still going to issue me a write up because "its funny that you who pays so close to the employee polices are being written up and not me". After she said that I told her that I was still very ill and was going straight to my doctors now. I told her that I do not know if I will be able to attend work due to my illness. She said that was fine to call her asap and provide documentation.

I was given 3 days off of work due to my illness from the doctor. My store leader said that was fine but major changes would need to be made to the current employee shecdual to cover my shift without granting anyone overtime hours. She said that she would call me after the changes were made and inform me when or if I would be working after my 3 day medical realse. She told me that if I did not get a phone call from her then that would mean I would have the rest of the pay period off and to come into work the following week like I was supposed to. I never received a phone call.

After my 3 days off I was originally supposed to work but was under the believe that my shift was changed so I went to bed early. While I was sleeping my phone began to ring at 9:00 pm I was asleep, but my mother answered the phone. It was Kwik Trip wondering where I was. My mother said that I stated I did not have to attended work tonight and is in bed. They became very rude to her and hung up on her. Minutes later my store leader called me from a unknown number and left a message stating that I had one hour to be at my shift or my position with kwik trip would be terminated. I did not get this message till the morning when I checked my voicemails. I was confused and no believed I had lost my job.

I wrote an email to hr to address the situation at work. About a week after receiving that phone call I had a meeting with the district leader. I explained what happened in person. She came up with the conclusion that my manager should of followed with the direction she gave me, but that both my manager and I would have to be written up. I brought up my concern with my first write up concerning me leaving my shift. She told me that would be removed and she would continue to look into what happened that night. She stated that she listened to the voice recording of the night and could hear my cough and could also tell by the camera that coworkers and customers did not want to be near me.

I expressed to her that I did not feel I should have to sign a write up when I was just doing that I was told to do, she said that if I did not sign the form stating that I can not be late or miss any shifts from this point on or I would be termated that I could not go back to work. I signed the paper. She explained to me that "of course Kwik Trip understand that emergencies happen and as long as you do what you can in an emergency, you will not be punished."
She also changed my work hours for the next two week to days instead of 3rd shift that I normally work for extra training and to spend time communicating with my manager.

After a few days of returning to work my fiancée was driving home after a snow storm from work so I could drive our only care and have child care for our son for me to attend these new shifts. He got into a car accident. I called my district leader first and told her the what happened. She said to contact my store manager and whatever my store manager decided to do with my employment in this situation is final. I said ok. I called my manager told her what happened and offered to be at the store within 2 hours when I can obtain a ride and childcare from my mother. My manger told me not to worry about it and to bring in documentation the following day when I came to work my shift. I thanked her. Moments later my store manger called me she said that she didn't believe me and that even if I brought in documentation she did not care. She terminated my employment.

After the termination I gained a new job and was recently laid off, I filed for unemployment insurance. Due to the fact that I worked mostly at kwik trip the women on the phone said that it would depend on what they determine from the reason I was let go from Kwik Trip. A few days later I received a form in the mail for unemployment asking me to give them information on absenteeism and tardiness. I filled out the form the best I could and included a letter to better explain the situation. I also included my 3 month review that was written up on me from Kwik Trip stating "I rarely or never miss shifts and attend work on time, and that I am a hard worker." Besides these two situations I have never been written up for missing work. In fact I was working at two different Kwik Trips because of a shortage of employees. I gave Kwik trip doctors notes and proof of information for all matters of missing work. All times besides these situations that I have been unable to work Kwik Trip has been more then ok with and never expressed a problem till I met with my distric leader. In her final write up for me she was even down grading my doctors excuses missed shifts that were approved my my manager hours and days before my shift.

Do you think that I will be granted unemployment? What do you think I should say when I have my next phone interview? I have attached the letter I sent to unemployment with my form I filled out please read sorry this is so long. I am just very stressed!!! HHHeelllpp I had to remove names and information here is my letter I faxed to unemployment the other day.[/SIZE]
[/SIZE]

[SIZE=3][SIZE=2][/SIZE][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][SIZE=2] [/SIZE][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]I am includinginformation regarding questions on the form sent to me. I have included a copyof my 3 month review from Kwik Trip stating that I was on time and dependablefor all my shifts. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]I also wanted toexplain what happened. I became ill on 1/10/13. I informed my manager, , andbrought in a doctor’s note excusing me for 3 days. she told me that sheunderstood and would have to make drastic changes to the schedule in order tocover my shifts I could not attended and would call me on 1/11/13 and tell meif I would or would not be attending back to work during the next week. Shenever called me in tell 1/16/13 and informed me that I had one hour to be atwork or I would no longer be working there. She left this information on myvoice mail of my phone. She called me from an unknown number at around 10 pmand I was asleep. I did not get this message till the next day and took hermessage to believe I had lost my job. To figure out what was happening with myemployment I contacted Human Services of Kwik Trip. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Human Servicesbrought my information to my District Leader. Here she addressed with my howthe situation that was happening at the Store was not ok and apologize to me. She continued to inform me that mymanager would be receiving a right up for failure to hold up to her positionbut that I would also have to receive a write up because there was other ways Icould of handled the situation. Though I did not agree with being writtenup,she explained the only way I would be returning back to work is if I singedthat I received the write up, not that I agreed. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]The write upstated that I was not allowed to be late for work or to miss anymore shifts.She explained to me that she understands emergency’s come up and to providedocumentation and make sure to contact the store if anything sever comes up. Iwas able to return back to work with Kwik Trip on 02/10/13. Two days afterreturning to work my fiancée got caught on the bad roads of Wisconsin and wasin a minor car accident with our only car. I contacted my store manager , andtold her what had happened. She said that she understood and to make sure to beat work tomorrow with documentation and everything would be ok. . She said that the outcome of the situationis managerss decision and hung up. 20 minutes later she called me back andfired me.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Besides my missedshifts due to my illness in January 2013, I have only missed work a few timesin December 2012. I do not know the exact dates. I missed work because mysister was in a car accident. I provided all documentation for this and wasgranted the time with my family. Theonly other time I missed is once I became ill with the flu and that shiftexcused. I called in over 10 hours before my shift when I was ill in Decemberto insure my shift was covered. In December I was late a few times by 3-5minutes for my shift due to the roads. My coworkers and managers wereunderstanding because I had to drive over 30 minutes to attend work. Even though I had not been talked to aboutthis situation the distric leader included those times being late in my writeup from her. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2013, 01:58 PM

sorry that the letter I faxed to unemployment showed up all werid I will repost it here.

I am including information regarding questions on the formsent to me. I have included a copy of my 3 month review from Kwik Trip statingthat I was on time and dependable for all my shifts.]I also wanted to explain what happened. I became ill on 1/10/13.I informed my manager, , and brought in a doctor’s note excusing me for 3 days.she told me that she understood and would have to make drastic changes to theschedule in order to cover my shifts I could not attended and would call me on1/11/13 and tell me if I would or would not be attending back to work duringthe next week. She never called me in tell 1/16/13 and informed me that I hadone hour to be at work or I would no longer be working there. She left thisinformation on my voice mail of my phone. She called me from an unknown numberat around 10 pm and I was asleep. I did not get this message till the next dayand took her message to believe I had lost my job. To figure out what washappening with my employment I contacted Human Services of Kwik Trip.

Human Services brought my information to my District Leader.Here she addressed with my how the situation that was happening at the Store was not ok and apologize to me. Shecontinued to inform me that my manager would be receiving a right up forfailure to hold up to her position but that I would also have to receive awrite up because there was other ways I could of handled the situation. ThoughI did not agree with being written up,she explained the only way I would bereturning back to work is if I singed that I received the write up, not that Iagreed.

The write up stated that I was not allowed to be late forwork or to miss anymore shifts. She explained to me that she understandsemergency’s come up and to provide documentation and make sure to contact thestore if anything sever comes up. I was able to return back to work with KwikTrip on 02/10/13. Two days after returning to work my fiancée got caught on thebad roads of Wisconsin and was in a minor car accident with our only car. Icontacted my store manager , and told her what had happened. She said that sheunderstood and to make sure to be at work tomorrow with documentation andeverything would be ok. . She said thatthe outcome of the situation is managerss decision and hung up. 20 minuteslater she called me back and fired me

Besides my missed shifts due to my illness in January 2013, Ihave only missed work a few times in December 2012. I do not know the exactdates. I missed work because my sister was in a car accident. I provided alldocumentation for this and was granted the time with my family. The only other time I missed is once I becameill with the flu and that shift excused. I called in over 10 hours before myshift when I was ill in December to insure my shift was covered. In December Iwas late a few times by 3-5 minutes for my shift due to the roads. My coworkersand managers were understanding because I had to drive over 30 minutes to attendwork. Even though I had not been talkedto about this situation the district leader included those times being late inmy write up from her.

Old 06-26-2013, 04:49 PM

14,500 posts, read 31,072,384 times
I just couldn't read all this as carefully as I probably should have.

You got another job, and worked there for how long before getting laid off?

I don't know WI's rule on this, but in a lot of states, working the right number of weeks means that the reason for leaving your past job becomes irrelevant. The reason I want to know that is because if you did work the requisite amount of time, then no one need wade through that long novel.

Old 06-26-2013, 05:29 PM

I did not work long enough to use the job after kwik trip the real reason why i want unemployment because i was not there long enough and the women on the phone said that kwik trip will be the employer paying my unemployment insurance.

yeah its a lot Ill try to shorten it. I was working for Kwik Trip have a great 3 month review. I became ill in January i had a doctors note that excused me for 3 days. My manager told me that she would contact me if I had to come into work for the rest of that pay period due to her having to find replacements for my hours I can not work. She said if i don't call you then you don't work till the following pay period. I never got a call so i never went to work, but then at 9 pm my manager called me one night I was sleeping so she left a voicemail message stating that I had one hour to show up to my shift our my position was terminated. I took that I lost my job and contacted human resources about the whole situation happening. a few days later I was contacted by the district leader. The district leader wanted to meet with me because I had been such a great employee that they wanted to resolve the issue and have me back working for them. Her and I met we spoke about the one other time I had been written up and I was told that she researched and found that write up was not just and got rid of it. She then said that she was going to have to write me up today though because I should of contacted my manager everyday till I knew when i was to attended work. This was my first time being scolded for attendance. The write up included the shifts I missed that were excused due to my sister being in the hospital, the write up included days that i provided doctors notes for and were preapproved by my manager. it also brought up that I often clock in late, but my managers also knew that because I lived so far away and it was winter. the district leader said that my manager was also facing a write up in this situation. ON the write up it says that if i miss again or am late my job would be terminated.

about a month after this meeting I had to call both my manager and my district leader and tell them that my fiancée was in a car accident that is why im late and im trying to find a baby sitter. the district leader said that whatever my manager decided with the situation was final word. My manager did not fire me....when the district leader found out my manager said it was ok come in tomorrow..she called and fired me instead.

Old 06-26-2013, 05:48 PM

14,500 posts, read 31,072,384 times
Did you already tell this to the UI people?

If not, then please don't.

Just tell UI that you were fired, and you're not sure why.

Then if QT doesn't respond to the UI people you'll get benefits if you just don't tell them all this stuff.

If QT does respond, then you can worry about what you want to say, and you can go off just what QT said rather then the potentially extraneous and possibly damaging information that you're volunteering.

With UI, it all comes down to the last thing that happened. So to me, it's about the lone car in the household, an accident that happened, finding last minute childcare when you were working an alternate shift temporarily, and that may not be misconduct if you just keep it short and sweet.

Old 06-26-2013, 06:20 PM

Default thank you

I did already screw up and give them information. I wish i would of known but before I did they had sent me a form in the mail asking about termination from Kwik Trip and it was mostly about being absent or tardy, but now i will insure I wont say as much to them as I have to you thank you. any other advise?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment